Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 02:00 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,894,842 times

Advertisements

According to porfolio.com, Raleigh is #72 out of 100 cities when it comes to fun:

See a local news story about it here:

Report: N.C. cities lacking fun - News14.com (http://news14.com/charlotte-news-104-content/625151/report--n-c--cities-lacking-fun - broken link)

The full rankings are here:

Living It Up The Top 100 Fun Cities - Portfolio.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 02:12 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,237,801 times
Let's all go get drunk!

Old 04-29-2010, 02:34 PM

881 posts, read 2,249,294 times
I thought it was even funnier that Greensboro is the "most fun" city in NC.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:55 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,044,266 times
I noticed that "gambling" was its own separate category. I find that odd considering the general nature of most of the other categories' titles ("culture", "shopping", etc.). Why wasn't it lumped into, say, "popular entertainment"? If gambling is that important to you, then maybe you're having a little too much fun!

Old 04-29-2010, 05:08 PM

29 posts, read 47,952 times
I was bored when I lived in raleigh, there's nice shopping for things to do but you get bored of just shopping and I'm not a sports fan so there's nothing for young person to do there. I just picked up a hobby at home and I was ok, but you still need that variety in your life. I've talked to execs that made 200K/yr and they were bored so they invested in property, but that still didn't fill the void for them.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:17 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,082,322 times
I checked out some different cities and rankings within each category. I highly question the rankings of many of these categories. For instance, Raleigh's highest ranking is in gambling. GAMBLING???? Are they serious? Where are all these gambling venues? Perhaps they are counting the lottery? Raleigh's lowest ranking is in performing arts and museums. Again, are they kidding??? For its size, Raleigh has quite a bit to offer including a slew of museums, most of the statewide performing arts companies along with a comprehensive performing arts center and ancillary venues. Another place where Raleigh scored lower was in low impact sports. Again...are they kidding? Wake County is swarming with golf courses, country clubs and other venues.
IMHO, one place where Raleigh falls down is in keeping information about what we have (outside of business and education oppty's) updated and available. I'd love to know where the researches go to gather this information because it certainly appears flawed to me. If you believe this survey, you'd have to believe that Greensboro is more fun than both Charlotte and Raleigh. Now, really, how many actually believe this?
How many also believe that Rochester, NY is more fun than Las Vegas, Youngstown Ohio is more fun than Atlanta and Allentown, PA is more fun than Austin, TX? According to the results, this is the case.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:49 PM

406 posts, read 786,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remixedcat View Post
I was bored when I lived in raleigh, there's nice shopping for things to do but you get bored of just shopping and I'm not a sports fan so there's nothing for young person to do there. I just picked up a hobby at home and I was ok, but you still need that variety in your life. I've talked to execs that made 200K/yr and they were bored so they invested in property, but that still didn't fill the void for them.

If Un-Fun is the same as not exciting or boring I would have to somewhat concur.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:01 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,237,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remixedcat View Post
there's nothing for young person to do there. I just picked up a hobby at home and I was ok, but you still need that variety in your life.

I'm sorry, but there's a heck of a lot more to do in Raleigh than shopping and sitting at home doing puzzles. But hey, that's just me.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:10 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,189,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm sorry, but there's a heck of a lot more to do in Raleigh than shopping and sitting at home doing puzzles. But hey, that's just me.
It helps if you get offline once in a while and go find something fun to do!!!

Vicki

Old 04-29-2010, 07:53 PM

29 posts, read 47,952 times
what is there to do for a 20 something that does not like sports and likes trance/electro music (and cannot stand most jazz music or mainstream music) and anime and is not rich?? and is not able to do much physically becuase of a bad back??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary