Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:56 PM

906 posts, read 2,380,940 times

Advertisements

NCHomeSomeday--I think Cary is set up strangely too. Its the only place in the Triangle where I get lost. lol

Gastric--I know for sure that Wildwood has all 4th and 5th graders in trailers, but not sure about the 3rd grade. The newer trailers are really nice, but I've heard that some schools have older ones that are not in the best shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 01:12 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Hi gastric,

It's not poor planning. It's disgusting greed.

In order to let the "pond scum" developers continue to overfill Wake County, there can be no impediments such as impact fees.

Had the money been collected up front, there would be no debt service on bonds wasting money that could otherwise be building the needed schools.

These "mobile classrooms" are trashy substitutes for real school buildings. I was in them several times when my kids went through WCPSS and was disgusted.

Dr. Del Burns could provide a proper education for the kids if he were properly supported. However, God Forbid we offend the carpetbagging national homebuilders and their local supporters.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:38 PM
BBC

14 posts, read 39,011 times
I have lived in Wake for approx. 8 years and I too am very, very disappointed with the school system. Far too large, far too disorganized. Schools are supposed to be the corner stone of our community and that isn't happening in Wake - as for taxes I too would more money for better schools but, in this county with this BOE I don't see money helping - in my opinion we need to clean house - they do not have an excellent school system far from it

Old 02-19-2008, 02:12 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
What are your specific complaints?

Old 02-19-2008, 02:38 PM

906 posts, read 2,380,940 times
Somebody mentioned that Wake only reassesses every 8 years and that's a main part of the problem. Not only do we not reassess very often, but they do the "revenue neutral" thing. So we aren't even collecting the taxes that we should be--they lower the rate so that people don't see huge jumps in their tax bills as their property values go up. Its ridiculous. I understand the need to help retirees on a fixed income, but we could find a way to help them and collect the proper taxes from the rest of us.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:28 PM

108 posts, read 494,317 times
The school problems her start in Kindergarten. Public schools only offer full day kindergartens. A full day (8:00 - 2:30) is NOT in the best interest of children. But, having buses run for a morning session and an afternoon session costs too much money. So, our kids suffer.
Then there are the rezoning issues. Families risk losing the peer group they know when their kids are rezoned, and often they are zoned to a school that will mean a lengthy bus ride.
I have started my kids in rpivate school from the start. It's not cheap. it means cutting way back on eating out, fugal vactions, etc. but I beleive it's in the best interest of our kids.
p.s. many if not all private schools have generous financial aid programs in place. Ravenscroft Please wait... has a reputation for being a school for rich kids. But, they offer many, many scholarships to deserving students and families.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:57 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Full day KG may not be in the best interest of YOUR children, but you can't say it's not in the best interetst of all children. None of my kids had any problems with it and I don't know anyone else who did either. In addition, KG isn't even required in NC and you can pick your child up after 1/2 day of KG.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:57 PM

108 posts, read 494,317 times
Default 1/2 day kindergarten Read the studies

1/2 kindergarten being best for kids is not just my opinion. Read the studies.
I am glad your children did well in a full day kindergarten.
I'm also glad to have my little ones around one more year. I'm sure all parents don't feel this way.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:08 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 565,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by north_raleigh_spa_mom View Post
1/2 kindergarten being best for kids is not just my opinion. Read the studies.
I am glad your children did well in a full day kindergarten.
I'm also glad to have my little ones around one more year. I'm sure all parents don't feel this way.
Can you give specifics on the studies you are referring to? I would be interested in them.

Thanks.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:24 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
For every study supporting 1/2 day KG, there are 2 supporting full day KG. Say what you want, but WCPSS gives you several options for your children; full day KG, 1/2 day (parent pick up) or no KG at all in addition to the options of homeschooling and private schooling. It is your opinion, which is fine, but it's not a fact just as mine is not a fact either. I beg to differ that most studies confirm your position but this is not the place to get into such a debate. I'm sure ther eare probably several posts on this subject in the education forum. Anyone interested in the topic can google it and find many reputable resources.

Last edited by lamishra; 02-19-2008 at 08:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary