Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 05:08 AM
CYB CYB started this thread

108 posts, read 270,841 times

Advertisements

Groups accuse Zebulon police of racial profiling :: WRAL.com

I live just south of Zebulon and have noticed that the police seem to do alot of vehicle searches.

I don't have any emperical data, but my observation is that if you are black, hispanic, or a "rough-looking" white person you have a really good chance of being searched.

I love where I live, but this is something that my wife and I have commented on a number of times. It may be on the up and up, but it looks funny at first glance for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 07:35 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,796 times
Default Z-town

Thanks for sharing, CYB! Given what’s going on in Arizona this is very timely and relevant.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:16 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYB View Post
Groups accuse Zebulon police of racial profiling :: WRAL.com

I live just south of Zebulon and have noticed that the police seem to do alot of vehicle searches.

I don't have any emperical data, but my observation is that if you are black, hispanic, or a "rough-looking" white person you have a really good chance of being searched.

I love where I live, but this is something that my wife and I have commented on a number of times. It may be on the up and up, but it looks funny at first glance for sure.
As Sheriff Harry Lee explained when we lived in Jefferson Parish, LA, you learn quickly who appears to be "trouble".

A good cop's instinct can smell a rat regardless of the rodent's ethnicity.

Hard to use this method any more though.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:46 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
As Sheriff Harry Lee explained when we lived in Jefferson Parish, LA, you learn quickly who appears to be "trouble".

A good cop's instinct can smell a rat regardless of the rodent's ethnicity.

Hard to use this method any more though.
Are you joking? Did you forget to use smilies?

I realize you're talking about criminals or potential criminals, but do you really want to refer to someone with brown skin as a "rodent"? Should we let clean looking Caucasians who are criminals go by without question, but stop a "rough looking" Latino or African American who is driving to volunteer at a soup kitchen? Can you point to any studies, scientific or imaginary, that show a policeman's ability to "smell" someone or use mental telepathy to determine whether they plan to commit a crime? It's hard to use that technique any more though because it is a violation of the law!

Old 05-02-2010, 05:26 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Me defending Saturn - that's a new one! Zitsky, I get what you are saying but it looks like you misunderstood the post. I think we need to be fair here before this thread goes any further, Saturn didn't say anything about "Brown Skin" in their post. Or for that matter, any color skin. And they did say "Hard to use this method anymore". I got what they were saying.

I remember a huge drug bust on a highway in recent yrs where the said he had a hunch when he saw the vehicle that something wasn't right. Of course they can only stop a vehicle for a legit reason. Anyhow, his hunch after yrs of doing the same thing day in day out for 8-10 hrs a day, paid off.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:51 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Me defending Saturn - that's a new one! Zitsky, I get what you are saying but it looks like you misunderstood the post. I think we need to be fair here before this thread goes any further, Saturn didn't say anything about "Brown Skin" in their post. Or for that matter, any color skin. And they did say "Hard to use this method anymore". I got what they were saying.

I remember a huge drug bust on a highway in recent yrs where the said he had a hunch when he saw the vehicle that something wasn't right. Of course they can only stop a vehicle for a legit reason. Anyhow, his hunch after yrs of doing the same thing day in day out for 8-10 hrs a day, paid off.
Thanks for your support.

I am not saying ethnicity is the reason for a good stop.

It's called "acting hinky" and a good cop just can sense that the person is up to no good. Darting eyes, looking back a lot, looking at the folks on a subway platform instead of looking for the train. Those are a few examples.

Cars with poorly attached tags or broken "opera vent" windows can be another sign of "hinkiness".

Hard to define, but a good cop knows who's good and who's likely to have crime in mind.

That's good profiling. Has no connection to race or ethnic heritage.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:13 PM

345 posts, read 1,060,334 times
Please define this for me:

I was on my way home from work (I worked second shift that night, so around 11:30pm), and had to stop at the grocery store in Holly Springs. A marked car pulled into traffic behind me and followed me. No big deal. I use the cruise control so I don't speed. The officer would fall back, then fly up on my rear end, fall back, fly up, etc., until I turned into the grocery store. Did I look "hinky"? My tags were current, my lights all function properly, used my turn signals and I was not driving erratically....although he was. What would be the reason for that sort of behavior?

Old 05-02-2010, 07:24 PM

365 posts, read 1,208,470 times
What are "opera vent" windows, and what does it mean if they are broken?

Old 05-02-2010, 07:25 PM

94 posts, read 248,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasformas View Post
Please define this for me:

I was on my way home from work (I worked second shift that night, so around 11:30pm), and had to stop at the grocery store in Holly Springs. A marked car pulled into traffic behind me and followed me. No big deal. I use the cruise control so I don't speed. The officer would fall back, then fly up on my rear end, fall back, fly up, etc., until I turned into the grocery store. Did I look "hinky"? My tags were current, my lights all function properly, used my turn signals and I was not driving erratically....although he was. What would be the reason for that sort of behavior?

This has happened to me many times...and I'm a white male. You don't see or hear me whining about it, do you?

Old 05-02-2010, 07:45 PM

345 posts, read 1,060,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Tesla View Post
This has happened to me many times...and I'm a white male. You don't see or hear me whining about it, do you?
I'm not whining, just sharing an experience, and trying to understand why this might happen.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-03-2010 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: Deleted personal comments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary