U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:56 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,175,812 times

Advertisements

Why did you leave? Did Cary turn out to be what you expected? Would you consider retiring there or is the population "too young" ?

We know of someone in the same business as me who left Boca Raton after many many years and relocated to Cary. So I did a quick search and it looks very nice. Looks like all the gourmet food stores are there. A great big Asian supermarket ( Wow! ). I have not yet found where to buy fresh mozzarella, can anyone tell me where along with real Italian goodies?

How does it work out on taxes? If you own a business that you operate from home and make 100K+ a year, do you pay based on the gross or do you pay after deductions? I'm trying to see if it makes sense to pay up to 7K a year in prop taxes here for a 350K house, + I'm guessing 4K in Homeowners. That money would have to be paid here whether we have a good year or not, when we're retired and no longer want to run the financial treadmill and are exploring other options. The question is can we get what we want ( 2700 sq ft under a/c , on half acre, at least partially wooded, ok lots of trees, suburban area within close proximatey to grocery shopping etc ) and would we save money on taxes and insurance while doing so?

We have United Healthcare Golden Rule and just searched the site for doctors and hospitals and there's more than enough. Also searched the acam.org site for a chelation therapy MD which I do every month and there's several within driving distance. So that's all there.

What say you? Thank you in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 04:52 PM

3,643 posts, read 4,040,173 times
I can kinda answer the business tax Q. It all depends on how you structure your business. I once owned two small businesses and was set up as a S-Corp and therefore was taxed basically on the net amt.

And you will find the house you are looking for in that price range. As you don't have to be concerned over schools, you are wide open as to where to buy. Check out Creedmoor, Wake Forest, and the usual places folks recommend.

How's chelation working for you? May I ask how long you've been doing it and how beneficial you've found it to be...good luck to you both with the move!

Old 05-02-2010, 05:05 PM

3,288 posts, read 6,328,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Why did you leave? Did Cary turn out to be what you expected? Would you consider retiring there or is the population "too young" ?

I have not yet found where to buy fresh mozzarella, can anyone tell me where along with real Italian goodies?
I'll tackle the above 2 questions:
We're not from FL but moved here 2 yrs ago as sort of "pre-retirement". We'll likely be working another 9 or 10 yrs but we definitely want to stay in this area. We love it here.

Fresh mozzerella can be bought in most local grocery stores - wide variety of cheeses at Harris Teeter and Fresh Market. There is also an Italian food store in Morrisville called Caprice Flavors.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I can kinda answer the business tax Q. It all depends on how you structure your business. I once owned two small businesses and was set up as a S-Corp and therefore was taxed basically on the net amt.

And you will find the house you are looking for in that price range. As you don't have to be concerned over schools, you are wide open as to where to buy. Check out Creedmoor, Wake Forest, and the usual places folks recommend.

How's chelation working for you? May I ask how long you've been doing it and how beneficial you've found it to be...good luck to you both with the move!

It's worked great. I was the recipient of a failed open heart surgery in 2005 and had other vascular issues as well that required surgery. I put the emphasis on the word "had". I never had the surgeries and while I could not even walk 1/10 mile, I now speed walk several miles at an incline on the treadmill. I've now had about 100 sessions. Did the first 30 in a matter of weeks, then scaled it down to where I'm on a once a month maintenence which I will do till the day I die.

Thank you all for the info. My companies are Sub-S corps here in Fla too.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:52 PM

If at all possible we'd like a single level house, possibly with a basement although my Wife isn't crazy about basements. A place for a pool table would be great though. Lots of trees . Fenceable if not already fenced.

Are these developments you mentioned gated communities? Lots of restrictions?

A realtor just emailed me with the approx tax costs of a house I inquired about. If the rate is indeed .86, then that would be a significant difference from Fla at this point. They really cooked the goose here with the taxing. I would never consider leaving here but now I'm looking at what the cost of living is when I decide to shave my business down. I don't anticipate getting out of the business for maybe 10 years because I enjoy it a lot. But in the past couple years I've started to be more selective about who I allow to do business and who doesn't. I'll definitely look to become even more so, little by little over the next decade.

There's trade-off's either way. We're really just exploring options. Fla is definitely not out at this point and very possibly going to stay our home. But considering all the financial costs, we have to look at what else do we get for the $. It's no longer a slam dunk while it pretty much used to be one.

I've spotted a few nice looking places in Cary, with half acres and lots of trees. I really like the availability of groceries, I noticed a Harris Teeter, Whole Foods, The Fresh Market, AND that giant Asian supermarket? We really like to cook, my Wife is Vietnamese and could be a candidate for Iron Chef. It's verrrrry disappointing with the lack of quality of food where we are ( Port Charlotte Fl). That's going to change soon Only 3 chelation MD's within a 30 mile radius, but I only do it once a month so it's not that bad and there's lots of traditional docs around according to our insurance directory.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:43 PM

818 posts, read 930,334 times
If you liked Boca, you'll love Cary.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:54 PM

8,190 posts, read 10,811,728 times
Basements are not at all common in NC (the red clay "soil" has a lot to do with it), especially in newer construction. Most "pool rooms" would be in an attic or "bonus room" (above the garage) kind of setting.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:01 AM

8,052 posts, read 9,807,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Basements are not at all common in NC (the red clay "soil" has a lot to do with it), especially in newer construction. Most "pool rooms" would be in an attic or "bonus room" (above the garage) kind of setting.
I'll add that one story homes are not all the common either. This is especially true if you are looking for a larger home. I am helping my parents looks for a new house in Raleigh and they can't find a one story that they like in their price range. So, they are considering a new home with most of the living on the first floor with just 2 rooms upstairs.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:49 PM

1,414 posts, read 2,544,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
If you liked Boca, you'll love Cary.
I think he said he's from Port Charlotte, which is no Boca.

But I don't see liking Boca translating into liking Cary. I can't see any similarities except pockets of affluence. Other than that, things like the authentic ethnic food (Jewish deli's and Italian - the real deal) are much less prevalent here. You really have to look here to find authentic styles of food...by no means is it on every corner. I still cannot find an authentic Jewish deli here. You can find good, thin crust pizza, but the norm is more the doughy stuff.

The cultures are very different, but becoming more similar, i.e., Cary is becoming more transient but still not to the extent of S. Florida.

I am not familiar with Port Charlotte...don't know whether it has the same strong influx of NY Jewish, Italian and other cultures which are so prevalent in Boca.

One big difference is there are many fewer drivers (whose heads can barely be seen by the car behind) going 20 MPH in the far left lane on the interstate here. And that's a good thing!

Old 05-05-2010, 12:22 PM

489 posts, read 1,025,921 times
We moved to Cary after living in Vero Beach (Jupiter before that) with a stop in between in Charleston, SC. Cary was a bit too crowded for our tastes so after a year in Cary we moved to Wake Forest (6 years ) and have loved living in Wake Forest. There's a great little deli on Rogers road in Wake Forest if you decide to check out that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary