Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:51 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
what is the schedule then for year round? when does it start/end, and what are the vacay times?
http://www.wcpss.net/Calendars/2010-...nd_2010-11.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 01:44 PM

448 posts, read 851,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonkh View Post
Great, thanks for all of the info everyone! Francois - It seems like the YR school is because of a problem with overcrowding so I didn't know how soon or if a change would be coming. Good to know that there may be changes on the horizon, just for planning's sake. YR school does sound like it has its benefits though. I would certainly enjoy the opportunity to travel / take time off during months other than the summer.
I agree with that. Although, it did get me wondering about how it works if you teach. Do you teach throughout the entire year or do follow the same schedule all the time? I taught in a year round school but we only had one track. I used to love cruising in October..

Old 08-04-2010, 01:57 PM

450 posts, read 1,349,956 times
Teachers are on the same schedule as their students - 9 weeks on; 3 weeks off. Just like teachers have a few workdays over the summer, they have a couple of workdays at the beginning and/or end of each track out, but overall they have the same breaks as the kids.

It's trickier for non-classroom teachers like elementary art, pe, music and library. Honestly I'm not sure how it works for them.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:02 PM

50 posts, read 94,696 times
This will be the sixth year for my son on a year-round schedule. We've never had a problem finding camps for him. As mentioned earlier, Durham has three elementary schools and one middle school on the year-round schedule and all of them seem to be good schools [they all scored well on the recent set of testing].

Oh, and welcome to the Triangle!

Old 08-04-2010, 04:41 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,845,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVmommy View Post
...It's trickier for non-classroom teachers like elementary art, pe, music and library. Honestly I'm not sure how it works for them.
They are usually track 4 so if your kids are on 1,2 or 3 they won't have some of their specials then.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:01 PM

450 posts, read 1,349,956 times
My child is on track one and has been in two different schools and it hasn't seemed that clear cut. She definitely hasn't been without specials for 3 week stretches. I'm not arguing; I really don't know how it works and know specials and how they're handled varies by school as well. I just don't want people new to the area to think they have to be on track 4 to get full time access to art, music, pe etc. That hasn't been the case at our school. I'm wondering if the specials teachers are contracted to work more days than classroom teachers?

Old 08-04-2010, 06:11 PM

182 posts, read 386,238 times
year round schools are great im my first hand as a parent. kids both see the end of a quarter and work better for a shorter period, and then don't lose their momentum over a long summer break

the only complaints you'll hear are from inconvenienced parents who can't fit their vacations around it, but for kids it's mcuh better educationally, if that matters

Old 08-04-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVmommy View Post
My child is on track one and has been in two different schools and it hasn't seemed that clear cut. She definitely hasn't been without specials for 3 week stretches. I'm not arguing; I really don't know how it works and know specials and how they're handled varies by school as well. I just don't want people new to the area to think they have to be on track 4 to get full time access to art, music, pe etc. That hasn't been the case at our school. I'm wondering if the specials teachers are contracted to work more days than classroom teachers?
Each principal decides how to allocate the $ for non-essentials- that's why some schools have some things that others can't because $ has to be allocated to a certain program, or, a decision is made for one thing rather than another.

Most schools cannot afford more than the 1 teacher for music or art, for example. Those teachers usually choose to be track 4, but sometimes are track 1. Sometimes there is $ for a sub, sometimes not.

At our year-round, my kids definitely were without specials when the specials teachers were tracked out. In addition, for concerts, since they were track 1, they would go to school for practices over track out since concerts coincided with track 4...

Anecdotally, our experience was not unique, but as you point out, it varies from school to school.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
year round schools are great im my first hand as a parent. kids both see the end of a quarter and work better for a shorter period, and then don't lose their momentum over a long summer break

the only complaints you'll hear are from inconvenienced parents who can't fit their vacations around it, but for kids it's mcuh better educationally, if that matters

... well... if you have a high schooler it gets complicated since there is no year round hs.

Another factor is that when you consider the climate here, you see the wisdom in being inside in school, in the A/C in August, and having a break in September or October when the kdis can do so much more on vacation.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:32 AM

544 posts, read 851,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
inconvenienced parents
Bingo! And there you have it. Unfortunately, life *is* inconvenient sometimes, but there's a large crop parents suffering from Suburban Entitlement Complex who expect the world to adapt to their every need and whim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary