Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 04:07 AM

83 posts, read 240,811 times

Advertisements

I've been struggling with thyroid problems for almost 3 years now and am having no luck with mainstream docs (i.e. primary care, endos). I've heard of docs like Beverly Goode, but I'm afraid I'll run out of money before she can help me, and I don't know if my insurance would reimburse me. I have BCBS with the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 06:55 AM

13 posts, read 29,085 times
Bobbi - I haven't moved to Raleigh yet, but will be in July. I also need to find an alternative doctor to replace the fantastic one I have here in Pittsburgh. I'm checking out Dr. Goode's website now. Are you a patient? Does she treat with Armour/T3?

Old 05-03-2010, 09:56 AM

360 posts, read 995,160 times
I searched around for a Doc like this last year, and I only found one, and she was booked solid for 7 months! Good luck!

Old 05-03-2010, 10:45 AM

675 posts, read 1,832,463 times
Look into the integrative medicine program at Duke. I think they may offer what you're looking for: Duke Integrative Medicine - Home

Old 05-04-2010, 06:22 AM

176 posts, read 645,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
Look into the integrative medicine program at Duke. I think they may offer what you're looking for: Duke Integrative Medicine - Home

I looked into the Duke Integrative Medicine program and was impressed. Unfortunately, they did not take my Duke insurance! The initial consultation was going to be $350 for them to set up a plan for me. (Who knows how much the following treatments would be?) I was really, really shocked that even with a doctor's referral to see a nutritionist, the Duke insurance would not cover preventive medical expenses at a Duke program. I hope you are luckier than I was!

Old 05-04-2010, 02:10 PM

305 posts, read 760,784 times
I have heard that Duke IM generally does not take insurance. They take Medicare for certain medical-specific appointments, but even that is quite limited.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:14 PM

305 posts, read 767,759 times
Dain Vines in Hillsborough is a family practice dr who is open to some alternatives. He may be able to help. Not sure on the insurance.

Chapel Hill Doctors: Home might be an option, too. They say on their website that the MDs in their practice are in network with BC/BS, but there are a lot of alternative folks associated who aren't MDs who may not take BC/BS.

hth

Old 05-05-2010, 08:23 AM

100 posts, read 290,262 times
A friend recommended this website where you can search for naturopathic doctors by zip code. Here is the link... http://www.naturopathic.org/index.asp

I would be interested to hear your review if you go to any of them.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:46 PM

83 posts, read 240,811 times
Unfortunately I've realized I cannot afford a doctor who doesn't take insurance. I just don't have the money, so I'll have to keep trying mainstream docs and hope I find a good one.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:12 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,613 times
Although not true coverage, some insurance plans have pre-arranged discounts with alternative medicine providers. It isn't a huge discount but it might be worth checking into with your insurance carrier.

Also, you could talk to the facility about a payment plan or a discount when purchasing a particular routine treatment in bulk at one time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary