Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2007, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,086 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving to the area from Massachusetts to work in RTP. I'm looking for a rental home for me and my dogs. My question is - if I contact a realtor about a home do I pay a fee to the realtor or does the property owner pay the fee? I know this has differed from place to place. I've identified several houses on craigslist that I would like to see and I've viewed satellite photos of the neighborhoods but I'd like a local opinion on the areas. I've got the name of a "friend of a friend" who is a realtor but I don't want to be rude asking for information when I don't necessarily intend to use this person to find a home. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 01:05 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
Some Realtors will help you find rental property just as a free service. IF there is a fee paid to them, its usually anywhere from $50 to $200 and its paid by the OWNER of the property or the APT. COMPLEX.

By helping you for free or for the fee, mentioned above, the Realtor hopes you will have some loyality to them and will contact them when its time to buy.

Not all Realtors have time to work with rentals, so ask your agent. If that agent wants to charge you a fee...RUN!

Vicki

Old 06-13-2007, 01:05 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,120 times
I contacted a local real estate agency for info about a rental property they had listed on the MLS. The response I got was that I was given the name of the listing agent, but told that if I want assistance with finding a rental, it would cost something like $500/day!! All I wanted to know was some basic info, like whether it had w/d connections, which the listing agent provided to me at no charge. I have heard, but cannot confirm, that it is the property owner that pays the realtor, not the prospective tenant. But it appears that if you want them to actually help you find a place, then you will have to pay for the assistance.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:12 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,688,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
I contacted a local real estate agency for info about a rental property they had listed on the MLS. The response I got was that I was given the name of the listing agent, but told that if I want assistance with finding a rental, it would cost something like $500/day!! All I wanted to know was some basic info, like whether it had w/d connections, which the listing agent provided to me at no charge. I have heard, but cannot confirm, that it is the property owner that pays the realtor, not the prospective tenant. But it appears that if you want them to actually help you find a place, then you will have to pay for the assistance.
What areas are you interested in for renting?

Old 06-13-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
What areas are you interested in for renting?
Thanks, but we were just approved for a place yesterday. We were looking in the Five Points, Cameron Village, Glenwood South, Merideth areas. Now the battle with the big complex we live in now because they shorted us a week on our lease and now we need to extend for another two weeks because a previous deal fell through.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Perhaps this was a management company or a rental company of some sort? Typically, buyers are paid by the sellers and renters are paid by the homeowners, in this area.

Vicki

Last edited by VickiR; 06-13-2007 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Oops...I meant the buyers' AGENT and the renter's AGENT.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Perhaps this was a management company or a rental company of some sort? Typically, buyers are paid by the sellers and renters are paid by the homeowners, in this area.

Vicki
Actually, it was a very prominent real estate company in the area that had listed the rental. I know they deal mostly in home sales, rather than rentals. They were only listing the property, they did not manage it. Perhaps this particular company's policy is an aberration. That was really the only experience I had, once I heard what the fee was I just kept looking on my own!

Old 06-13-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Actually, it was a very prominent real estate company in the area that had listed the rental. I know they deal mostly in home sales, rather than rentals. They were only listing the property, they did not manage it. Perhaps this particular company's policy is an aberration. That was really the only experience I had, once I heard what the fee was I just kept looking on my own!
Well, I guess I could charge someone any amount that I wanted to, for my time in helping them find a rental! I never thought of that! However, this is not customary for our area and I'm glad that you kept looking!

Vicki

Old 06-15-2007, 11:19 AM

4 posts, read 11,000 times
any info on louise beck realtors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary