Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 07:40 PM

104 posts, read 403,076 times

Advertisements

I thought NC would be like Florida and everyone would have a pool due to the heat. I was walking around a neighborhood earlier today in North Raleigh and noticed nobody had pools. Is there a town rule against it for some subdivisions or just a personal choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 07:45 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,022 times
Personal choice. Most neighborhoods have their own pools and most people choose to use those.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:09 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
I've seen more backyard pools here in MA than down there. I think it's like Northern VA where everyone lives in a subdivision and all the subdivisions have their own pools.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:57 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
The community pool is most certainly the reason for the low number of backyard pools. While that makes sense I'm a bit confounded by the fact that most community pools open early June and close right after Labor Day. Considering the extended warm weather season I don't understand why.

I'm sure it has something to do with the school schedule but my kids would still love having access to a pool as an after school activity in either May or October. I may need to consider putting one in my backyard as a result.

Last edited by NYC2RDU; 06-13-2007 at 10:11 PM..

Old 06-13-2007, 10:09 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,022 times
Our pool opened early May this year and closed in October last year. The weather permitted the extended season so we were able to enjoy it longer.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:48 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,616,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeMaui View Post
I thought NC would be like Florida and everyone would have a pool due to the heat. I was walking around a neighborhood earlier today in North Raleigh and noticed nobody had pools. Is there a town rule against it for some subdivisions or just a personal choice?
My husband and I were looking at S/D's in Clayton last week. That is one of our top priorities when we purchase, build a swimming pool for the kids. Our realtor only mentioned that there needs to be enough property, and with the possibility of septic, not to interfer with the tanks. Also, aren't there different ordinances for different S/D's that need to be checked first, for example, a built-in pool, fence, etc? Not really sure.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:07 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Often ovenants do govern type of pool, etc. For example, many don't allow above-ground pools. Once you find specific subdivisions that you think you like, have the realtor get you the covenants so you don't waste time.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:13 AM

112 posts, read 759,908 times
Going to agree with everybody and say that most people don't have pools because their sub-division has one. I would like to see our community pool open longer, but that wouldn't be a reason for me to ever install one on my back yard. I had a pool when we lived in Florida and I view them as money and time sucking black holes.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:10 AM

13 posts, read 32,171 times
I do love having a pool in the yard. I could see the community pool being a nice feature in a S/B., meeting neighbors and no worries of keeping the pool maintained. But coming home from a day at the office and taking a dip in my own pool without the distractions of others is GREAT thing.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:53 AM

560 posts, read 2,848,734 times
I would say you might be better off looking for S/D's with a community pool. It is a great place to meet people and you don't have to spend $$$ and time maintaining it. We pay $24 a month which in my opinion is worth it for the pool alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary