Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 04:50 PM

39 posts, read 99,750 times

Advertisements

Am getting ready to move from Durham to Raleigh, and the movers said they will not move my 60" plasma TV unless it's in a box. The box the TV came in was huge, so I had to get rid of it shortly after I got it. The movers can rent a box to me for $60, or I can buy it for $100. Seems like a lot for a box, although UHaul's web site lists a one for sale for $110.

Any other ideas on where I can get a box for moving the TV for less than $60? Am leaning towards moving it myself with the help of friends, but would prefer to have the pros do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 04:58 PM

770 posts, read 2,753,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMetsFan View Post
Am getting ready to move from Durham to Raleigh, and the movers said they will not move my 60" plasma TV unless it's in a box. The box the TV came in was huge, so I had to get rid of it shortly after I got it. The movers can rent a box to me for $60, or I can buy it for $100. Seems like a lot for a box, although UHaul's web site lists a one for sale for $110.

Any other ideas on where I can get a box for moving the TV for less than $60? Am leaning towards moving it myself with the help of friends, but would prefer to have the pros do it.
Keep leaning and save yourself $60

Old 05-12-2010, 05:18 PM

49 posts, read 200,297 times
Default You could try Freecycle

People are always offering moving boxes and maybe someone who just bought a TV has a box to get rid of.

I would consider moving it myself since even with a box who knows how the movers will treat it. You are only moving from Raleigh to Durham. You just need a Van/Truck/SUV.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:34 PM

4,159 posts, read 4,872,068 times
You can wrap it in moving blankets that can be rented from U-Haul, or just use regular blankets or bubble wrap. I would opt for moving it yourself since the move is a very short distance.

Another option is just use a different moving company.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:41 PM

312 posts, read 867,620 times
UPS sells boxes although I am not sure if they have one the size you need. Worth a shot though.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:18 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
If you go to any large store and ask for boxes they throw out most will give them to you. So I would go to a store that sells TV's. When I have moved I have gotten a number of large boxes that way. Most of the boxes they throw out are what their merchandise has been shipped in. Im sure you can find a box to fit your TV out of their trash.

I would not pay those fools that kind of money for a box. Save your money.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:10 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,287 times
What part of Raleigh? Hell I'll move it for $60. Post a wanted ad on craiglist that you want a box or go to Best Buy and hit up someone walking out with a big tv box.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:50 PM

9 posts, read 26,638 times
We are moving and have two 47" flat screens. Movin' On Movers is boxing them for us for $25 apiece. Of course, we're also paying for them to move our whole houseful of stuff.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:15 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,864,172 times
I have only flat screen televisions (non-plasma) and have heard that plasma televisions can not be laid flat or in any position where they get bounced around. Some websites even suggest selling before your move and repurchasing at the new location because of the potential for damage.

With that said, I did not want to pay outrageous prices for appropriate size boxes for my flat screens. I scoured Craigslist every morning between 4-6AM to ensure I was one of the first respondents to any free listings. It worked out great as I found an artist giving away large wooden crates with fitted styrofoam sheets. All my televisions arrived intact.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:57 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Whichever way you choose, plasma screens should be kept upright when moving. I always try to move sensitive items myself where possible. A 60" plasma would fall in that category for me.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary