Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2007, 06:34 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,493,390 times

Advertisements

My DH and I have been watching the listing on a particular home in the Glenwood/Brooklyn area of Raleigh. It has been sitting empty for a few months now, and just recently the price dropped and is very close to what we're hoping to spend on our first home. We're very excited about this and we're trying to schedule a showing for this weekend.

I know that the railroad tracks run fairly close to the home in question. My questions for the group are this: (1) if anyone lives in this neighborhood, can you tell me how loud/annoying the train noise will be? (Will it shake the pictures on our walls and rattle the windows, or will it be something we'll hear some inside, and of course more outside?) (2) does living near a train track detract from the home's appreciation? (We aren't looking to flip it and move on, we hope to do some renovation and live there for a while, maybe starting a family someday).

TIA, as always, for your perspective!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 07:06 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
My DH and I have been watching the listing on a particular home in the Glenwood/Brooklyn area of Raleigh. It has been sitting empty for a few months now, and just recently the price dropped and is very close to what we're hoping to spend on our first home. We're very excited about this and we're trying to schedule a showing for this weekend.

I know that the railroad tracks run fairly close to the home in question. My questions for the group are this: (1) if anyone lives in this neighborhood, can you tell me how loud/annoying the train noise will be? (Will it shake the pictures on our walls and rattle the windows, or will it be something we'll hear some inside, and of course more outside?) (2) does living near a train track detract from the home's appreciation? (We aren't looking to flip it and move on, we hope to do some renovation and live there for a while, maybe starting a family someday).

TIA, as always, for your perspective!
I think you will find it to be a slow freight train, since it is in-town.
You should feel some bass rumble, but not the window shaking of a high-speed freight.
Resale? I wouldn't worry about the tracks if you aren't right on top of them.
Glenwood South/Brooklyn location is just too great!
Don't know which home you are considering, but in that area, I know it is a cool home.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:08 PM

550 posts, read 1,486,668 times
I've been living in Glenwood/Brooklyn for about a year and a half now. Which side of Glenwood will you be on? I'm pretty far from the trains. When I first moved in, I liked the haunting sound of the train whistles in the distance. But now I don't even hear them.

You really can't get away from the train tracks downtown, so anyone who's looking downtown for a house will have to be OK with being close to the tracks.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:13 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
Can one buy a decent home for under $250k in the neighborhood?

Old 06-14-2007, 12:29 PM

starla, we currently live in the neighborhood in the condos on the Fletcher Park side. The house in question is on the other side of Glenwood Avenue, which I believe is closer to the tracks.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:35 PM

550 posts, read 1,486,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
starla, we currently live in the neighborhood in the condos on the Fletcher Park side. The house in question is on the other side of Glenwood Avenue, which I believe is closer to the tracks.
Well I can't help you, then. I'm about as far from the tracks as you are right now.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:31 PM

161 posts, read 602,003 times
I have dined twice at a house half a block from the tracks, and never even noticed the noise. The houses are on a hill and the tracks are down the slope into a valley, so that helps muffle the noise. The houses right next to the tracks would be more affected, but they also have wonderful views of downtown, across the valley.

That neighborhood will always be very desirable because of its location, architecture, and population.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:07 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Although I don't really have much experience inside the homes in this neighborhood, the other day we were in our car stopped in front of a house literally three doors down from the RR tracks looking at a for rent poster. As we were sitting there, a train was going by at a very slow speed. I don't think it would be that noisy if they all go through that slow and don't blow the horn (this engineer did not blow the horn). If I were in the position to buy a home in that neighborhood and found one I liked, I'd be all over it!

Old 06-15-2007, 06:18 AM

Thanks again for your replies! DH tried to contact our realtor last night to see if we can get in to see the place this weekend... now we're just waiting to hear back from her on scheduling. Woo hoo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary