Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 05:52 AM

22 posts, read 52,030 times

Advertisements

We are seriously considering moving to the Triangle area from the northeast and are trying to weigh the pros/cons of various areas. I think we have narrowed down the choices to Chapel Hill or Cary but maybe there is another location to consider. We are looking for highly rated public schools, a new construction home (willing to spend up to about $2M), more than 1 acre of property in a family friendly area (we have 4 children ages 4-12). I would appreciate views on neighborhoods, the difference between Chapel Hill and Cary, and any other advice.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 06:27 AM

149 posts, read 284,020 times
There is a lakefront lot available on Eastwood lake in Chapel Hill - giving you custom build in a respected and established neighborhood, catchment schools Estes Hills Ele, Philips mid, East Chapel Hill High.
Within the city limits, I think the lot is 1.1 acre. The neighborhood is called Lake Forest.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:45 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
See this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ere-would.html

Old 05-16-2010, 04:46 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
Spending 2 million dollars in this market would be a grave mistake. You could spend less than half that amount and pretty much get the run of either town.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:28 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
Does commute come into play in your decision? Both places are very nice. I grew up in Chapel Hill, so I *think* I am more partial to that area! In Chapel Hill you can definitely find:

More land (bigger lots)
Unique homes (more contemporary and just interesting designs)
Small town feel, but it is a college town, so that may be something you want to consider
excellent schools
very good restaurant and grocery choices

Cary is a younger town than cary. Cary went through a housing boom, so you tend to find bigger homes that are closer together. Not to say you cannot find an acre plus in cary, but it just has a different feel than chapel hill.

You can PM me if you have specific questions!

Leigh

Old 05-16-2010, 09:44 PM

22 posts, read 52,030 times
My office will be in Morrisville. Anything under a 30 min. commute is fine. We are in our late 40's but have young children. Our taste in housing runs toward the eclectic rather than the McMansion. We probably won't be able to buy anything until our current home sells. Our plan is to find the neighborhood/school(s) where we want to live and then try to rent in that area until our house sells, and we can buy something. I really don't want the kids to have to change schools once we make the move to NC.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:18 PM

149 posts, read 284,020 times
My other half work drives to Rtp/morrisville from Lake Forest each day, I'd say 20mins - he's not here right now to ask. The word "eclectic" points you at Chapel Hill more than Cary. I'd say check out great schools website and visit if you can, the schools in the CHCCS district have different feels to them, one or more will hit the sweet spot for how you see your kids schooling, you know them better than we can, and make sure you're in the walk zone for some of them because one or two still get redistricted.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:43 AM

41 posts, read 102,530 times
Chapel Hill is great and Cary is great. We live in Cary because the home prices were lower than Chapel Hill. Cary is very "cookie-cutter", but there are what feels like millions of kids here and thus have lots of activities for kids. In my opinion they are both great places to live, but Cary people just seem a little more normal regular Joe kind of place.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:10 AM

46 posts, read 133,592 times
Here is another vote for Chapel Hill. We moved from CT a few years ago and love it here. There are many transplants and the people are very friendly. The school system is excellent. It is a great place to raise children. (We too are in our 40s and have very young kids). It is very family friendly. The university helps in that there is diversity in the population as many faculty at both UNC and Duke live in Chapel Hill. There aren't many big box retailers. There are some really nice neighborhoods.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:45 PM

307 posts, read 672,915 times
Chapel Hill sounds like your kind of place. Cary is pretty much at capacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary