U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 05:50 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,767,053 times

Advertisements

*puts pedantic hat on*

Just to clarify, everyone in this thread seems to be talking about non-stop flights. Direct flights can have a stop, but no flight number change and almost never a plane change.

For example, Southwest offers direct but not non-stop service to at least a dozen other cities not listed on that RDU page as a "destination".

*puts pedantic hat back on rack*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 06:12 PM

378 posts, read 834,860 times
Jetblue to Ft. Lauderdale is a newer route and from there you can get to most anywhere in El Carib. I actually prefer this to Miami since there is less major South American traffic to wade through getting to a smaller international island destination. Plus Jetblue has TVs! The only international that runs year round is American's flight to Heathrow, which is a long and stinky flight on an old 767-300. Avoid at all costs and go through NY or Charlotte.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:22 PM

475 posts, read 1,398,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwilsonbsee View Post
The only international that runs year round is American's flight to Heathrow, which is a long and stinky flight on an old 767-300. Avoid at all costs and go through NY or Charlotte.
We frequently fly to London on this particular flight. Absolutely agree "old 767-300". Do not agree with the "avoid at all costs". Just the convenience factor is tremendous. If you compare prices, taking a direct flight from RDU to LHR is at the most a couple of hundred difference than taking a flight from here to NY or CLT and then flying to LHR. The time works great too - you can work the whole day, then leave in the evening, get there early the next morning. RDU's immigration counters a lot quicker to get through than a NYC. No worries about missed connections/lost luggage...I think the RDU-LHR is a great feature.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:09 PM

10,711 posts, read 20,139,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppylove12 View Post
Oh yikes, I hadn't even thought of this. It's amazing to see that even Orlando is accessible by only one airline.
You can get to pretty much any airport in the world out of Raleigh. Not sure what you mean.

No, there are no direct flights to BFE, Russia, you have to connect, but that's the disadvantage of living outside of a hub airport such as Atlanta, New York City, Charlotte, Detroit, etc.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:00 PM

47 posts, read 160,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You can get to pretty much any airport in the world out of Raleigh. Not sure what you mean.

No, there are no direct flights to BFE, Russia, you have to connect, but that's the disadvantage of living outside of a hub airport such as Atlanta, New York City, Charlotte, Detroit, etc.
It's just a huge adjustment to consider when moving to the area from New York. It appears that SouthWest is the only airline that does Raleigh to Orlando, whereas when I fly from New York I have a million different airlines and price options to consider when going to Disney. Just another thing to weigh and consider that I, and I'm sure many others, never even thought of.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:59 AM

306 posts, read 1,006,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwilsonbsee View Post
The only international that runs year round is American's flight to Heathrow, which is a long and stinky flight on an old 767-300. Avoid at all costs and go through NY or Charlotte.
Well, in the old days when times were better they used to fly a 777. Much nicer. I agree that it is also a longer flight than it used to be. Plus I can't stand Heathrow. I much preferred Gatwick even though it was the wrong side of London for a trip up north.

However, the convenience factor of a direct flight outweighs trying to connect to any large hub. I've been stuck in Newark or Chicago due to a missed transatlantic connection (afternoon storms) more than I haven't.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:02 AM

475 posts, read 1,398,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M View Post
Well, in the old days when times were better they used to fly a 777. Much nicer. I agree that it is also a longer flight than it used to be. Plus I can't stand Heathrow. I much preferred Gatwick even though it was the wrong side of London for a trip up north.

However, the convenience factor of a direct flight outweighs trying to connect to any large hub. I've been stuck in Newark or Chicago due to a missed transatlantic connection (afternoon storms) more than I haven't.
Gatwick was definitely a quieter, less crazier airport to get into than Heathrow. However, flip side of the coin, if you are looking to take any trip using a LCC to Europe or Aisa, getting into Heathrow means opening up a LOT more options than what Gatwick has to offer, so I am not complaining

Old 05-18-2010, 09:02 AM

10,711 posts, read 20,139,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppylove12 View Post
It's just a huge adjustment to consider when moving to the area from New York. It appears that SouthWest is the only airline that does Raleigh to Orlando, whereas when I fly from New York I have a million different airlines and price options to consider when going to Disney. Just another thing to weigh and consider that I, and I'm sure many others, never even thought of.
Pretty much any airline will get you to Orlando out of Raleigh with one stop.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:15 AM

11,543 posts, read 17,897,134 times
You will not waste an entire day. That's a bit of an overstatement. The actual flight time to Miami is about 1 hour 40 minutes with gate to gate times of about 2 hours. From Miami, your flights to various Caribbean destinations are another few hours or less.
Think about it, even if RDU had a direct flight to San Juan, you'd still have to transfer to your final destination unless San Juan was always going to be your final destination. You can connect through Charlotte but Miami is going to have more extensive access to all of the Caribbean, Central and South American desinations. There's an early morning flight to Miami that can put your final destinations by noon-ish/midday.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:08 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,489,552 times
The passenger numbers on the London flight hardly justify a 767 let alone a 777. American Airlines transferred the 777 aircraft to a new route from Chicago to China where they would make more money which makes sense for them when you consider how airlines are suffering from the economy at the moment, but sucks for the passengers using what must be a 20 year old 767 aircraft.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread it costs about $200 extra to fly on the Raleigh to London flight compared to routing via Boston or JFK, also with AA. They regularly have 100 empty seats in coach on the RDU flight but very rarely reduce the price except for severely restricted weekend trips. I get emails every week from America offering special prices on every one of their transatlantic routes except Raleigh which they don't reduce as there is no competitor airline on this route unlike NY, Boston, Chicago, Miami etc where all the major airlines have routes.

Also, the problem at Heathrow is that it has a night-time curfew until 6am and the Raleigh flight is scheduled to arrive at 7am but with a trailing wind would arrive 30 minutes earlier at Gatwick (with no curfew and not so busy); but at busy Heathrow with 100's of long haul flights arriving in the peak morning period from Asia and the US the Raleigh flight joins the 'stack' circling for 30 or 40 minutes until it's turn to land, then join the Immigration Passport check line of 3000+ passengers who arrived in Terminal 3 in the preceeding hour from 6am - at Gatwick it was possible to be on an express train to London just after 7am or the Thameslink train to destinations north of London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary