U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 04:10 AM

70 posts, read 228,337 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. From NJ and thinking of moving down. Just curious, all of you that live in, near, around Raleigh/Wake Co area, what do you think of your police department? What is your honest opinions of your officers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 06:31 AM

768 posts, read 2,431,517 times
Interesting question: What is the reason behind it?

Raleigh PD seem to be OK, no doubt the whole force is a mixed bag of people, some keen and motivated others not so much, some more racist than others, some with more integrity than others

You will see them 'plotted up' around the city outskirts waiting to pounce on speeders but if you're law abiding that will probably be your only interaction

Heres a link to their web site

City of Raleigh | Police (http://www.raleigh-nc.org/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_0_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/dept/public/Dept-AboutUs-Police.html - broken link)

Old 05-19-2010, 07:54 AM

6,186 posts, read 13,901,304 times
A+ for our police.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:41 PM

4,529 posts, read 7,074,685 times
RPD has always had a reputation for its professionalism and high entrance standards. I used to have a few friends with RPD, now they are retired or have branched out into consulting work. The folks I know are of have high integrity, as were some officers I knew thru them.

As for how they are now I can only tell you from a citizen's perspective what they are now like. I've not heard anything negative. My interaction with them, especially regarding community policing, have been top knotch, they are service oriented.

i once had an interaction with a new officer who was fresh out of the marines. He was rather aggressive verbally, uncalled for. I called the chief to complain about the interaction. I received a call back from a commanding officer who appologized and followed up with the new recruit. it was handled to my satisfaction.

I'd also give them a A+ !

Old 05-19-2010, 03:06 PM

3,167 posts, read 6,994,553 times
Quote:
Raleigh PD seem to be OK, no doubt the whole force is a mixed bag of people, some keen and motivated others not so much, some more racist than others, some with more integrity than others
What personal experience have you had to deem some as "more racist than others" to allow you to label the entire department as racists?

Old 05-19-2010, 04:44 PM

11,507 posts, read 25,833,416 times
I think the OP means, are they always trying to bust you for every little thing? I mean some PD departments give you no slack at all and want to hit you with every charge possible with the highest amount.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:07 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,571,145 times
RPD is a high class department.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:23 PM

70 posts, read 228,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
Interesting question: What is the reason behind it?

You will see them 'plotted up' around the city outskirts waiting to pounce on speeders but if you're law abiding that will probably be your only interaction

Heres a link to their web site

City of Raleigh | Police (http://www.raleigh-nc.org/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_0_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/dept/public/Dept-AboutUs-Police.html - broken link)
Well, I am an officer in NJ and have been thinking of moving down. I have looked at several Wake County departments and Raleigh PD looks great. I just wanted to see what some of the citizens of Raleigh thought of their police department.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:55 PM

6,186 posts, read 13,901,304 times
Years ago, I witnessed "bad policing" -- when an officer took the side of abusive parents versus their abused teen. But I think he's no longer with the force.

Since then, I consider every police officer I've ever encountered a hero. They are highly professional -- and brave. The people in management are also topnotch. We are very fortunate to have them.

One of the previous posters used the word "no doubt," so he's probably simply making assumptions; they are certainly not based on facts.

I've never seen any evidence of racism or anything else negative. Raleigh police are very responsive. And as far as catching speeders, compared to my hometown, I rarely see officers hiding along the roads. Where I come from, there were speed traps all over the place, and you wouldn't dare go through a yellow light or not come to a complete stop at a stop sign, or you would surely get a ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdal625 View Post
Well, I am an officer in NJ and have been thinking of moving down. I have looked at several Wake County departments and Raleigh PD looks great. I just wanted to see what some of the citizens of Raleigh thought of their police department.
Quote:
steve54 wrote: Raleigh PD seem to be OK, no doubt the whole force is a mixed bag of people, some keen and motivated others not so much, some more racist than others, some with more integrity than others

Old 05-19-2010, 06:38 PM

768 posts, read 2,431,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
What personal experience have you had to deem some as "more racist than others" to allow you to label the entire department as racists?
Thanks for pointing that out to me , it wasn't the message I intended to send. What I meant to say ( and let me hope I get this right) is my 37 years of experience in law enforcement has shown me that,generally, some percentage of people in law enforcement have prejudices revealed in many different forms, including being racist, I'm not saying institutional racism in this case because I don't have sufficient experience of RPD. I have heard individual RPD officers make statements that may be considered racist in nature, including 'jokes'
When I said some have more integrity than others, I didn't mean to suggest that everyone lacked integrity, merely that I expect RPD to display those characteristics that the general population (from which it is composed) also displays
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary