Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 04:51 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,694 times

Advertisements

so i've got a desktop and my wife has a laptop, and i have a wireless router for her. we're completely baffled (and so are the random people we bring by, and and the tech support forums) as to why she can't connect anymore but i'm fine. i've come to the conclusion i'm gonna need someone professional to come here and fix this for us, because it's definitely in the network setup. i know there's geek squad, and i guess i could get time warner out here, but that's expensive and i hate time warner.... anyone have any suggestions for what's available in raleigh/durham for this type of thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 06:02 PM

128 posts, read 345,931 times
Do you have a password configured? If so, have you applied the right password?

Does she see the wireless network at all? If not, there sometimes is a physical wireless switch on the laptops, that may be turned off.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:03 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Can she access the internet at Borders Books, or Starbucks, etc?

Old 05-21-2010, 06:06 PM

206 posts, read 746,929 times
We had the same problem. Called tech support of the router company and had them walk through a solution for no charge. Have you tried doing that already?

Old 05-21-2010, 06:07 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
When our wireless router isn't working we can usually unplug both the modem
and the router /wait a good 20 seconds / and then plug them back in.
Also sometimes it works just to restart the computer...

If she is connecting to Time Warner Cable they will help you pinpoint the problem
on the phone..
It sounds like she was connecting okay and then it quit working...

Old 05-21-2010, 06:43 PM

148 posts, read 676,817 times
1-800-905-GEEKS

Good local company, will help you out.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:03 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,694 times
thanks for the feedback, everyone.
i realize this isn't a tech support forum, but just to be thorough, i'm gonna clarify a bit.
she can get on other networks, she can see our network, but it either won't connect to it or it says it's connected but nothing loads (email servers, the web, etc.). we enter the device password and all that, it just doesn't want to connect. it stopped working when my sister visited and her laptop seemed to alter our network settings when i connected it. i feel like there must be a setting in our network settings that i'm overlooking. maybe i will call the router company first to see what they say, and go from there. this is maddening, though, since it's been since christmas, and we keep putting off doing anything about it.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:06 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
thanks for the feedback, everyone.
i realize this isn't a tech support forum, but just to be thorough, i'm gonna clarify a bit.
she can get on other networks, she can see our network, but it either won't connect to it or it says it's connected but nothing loads (email servers, the web, etc.). we enter the device password and all that, it just doesn't want to connect. it stopped working when my sister visited and her laptop seemed to alter our network settings when i connected it. i feel like there must be a setting in our network settings that i'm overlooking. maybe i will call the router company first to see what they say, and go from there. this is maddening, though, since it's been since christmas, and we keep putting off doing anything about it.
You can get good local references here, but you should try the guys at the CD Computer forum.

There are a few helpful geniuses that hang out there.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:31 AM

242 posts, read 1,213,464 times
Perhaps someone else nearby put up their own wireless router (or you added some kind of other wireless devices of your own) on same channel causing interference issues or with strong enough signal that the machine is trying to connect to theirs instead. If you know enough how to ... try changing the channel that the router is using in the routers configuration (best to pick 1 or 11). Also in your wifes computer in the wireless network settings, there should be a setting to use only preferred networks, you might want to set that. I'm assuming your connection is wired which is why you are working. If you are working ok wirelessly to same router, then the issue is with your wifes machines network configuration and/or perhaps even virus infection. Its hard to really guess without seeing, its also possible while you think her machine is set with correct security password/code (assuming the router was in fact setup with encryption), perhaps its not, so you might see a connection to the router in a limited way, but where its really not connecting properly (especially since it sounds like you had people poking around with it).

Last edited by Andy64; 05-22-2010 at 08:42 AM..

Old 05-22-2010, 06:25 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
I know just enough to be dangerous when it comes to computers but some
process of elimination usually helps pin down the problem.

If someone else with a laptop can connect using your password I would
assume the router is working and
concentrate on her settings on her laptop.

Can she take her laptop to a friends house and connect to their
internet???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary