U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,391 times

Advertisements

Hello I am a single 25 year old straight man moving from Louisville KY to Cary NC working for a utility company. I know the weather and climate are relatively similar.. hot and humid, cold and humid.. I just really want to know what to expect. Ill be working outside in the front yards of homes in Cary specifically. What are the people like? In Louisville we have all kinds of income.. mansions to ghettos. Is it like that there or is it more steadily affluent? I much prefer the cities where its very cookie cutter and "suburbia-esque" because I get less hassle from the residents. Is the city itself dog-friendly? Is there a culinary scene? (we are spoiled with the fastest growth rate of 4 & 5 star independent restaurants here) Can you REALLY get to the beach in roughly 2 hours? Just describe the city for me.. I am moving there no matter what, so it won't be of benefit to hear persuasion. Just give me the raw truth! Thank you SO very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 11:48 AM

6,177 posts, read 13,697,368 times
Cary is Pleasantville.

Try a Google map with an address in Cary and drag the little gold man to the address, and click through the town to see what it looks like.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:53 PM

892 posts, read 2,765,747 times
Cary is going to be way different than Louisville. Cary is a dog friendly city. It is really possible to get to the Atlantic Ocean in under two hours. Not so much a "culinary scene" but there are plenty of dining options in Cary that are not chain restaurants. You will no doubt miss Louisville but should find Cary a pleasant place to be ... just think small.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:10 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,644,196 times
Louisville is a nice city, I spent a few days there last summer. Loved Mark's Feed Store BBQ.

Cary isn't a city, so it's a different than Louisville and for that fact Raleigh is a different vibe as well. We also don't have a cool river and all the Bourbon factories.

As for the lay out I stayed near the horse track and did see some of the residential area to the east and it seemed like mostly a grid layout of homes/streets. Cary is the exact opposite, it's winding developments, with almost no strait roads. There are lots of cookie cuter houses, lot different than what I saw in Louisville which was older homes, maybe like 40-50's?

Since you said you are working on utilities, most of them are buried here and go through the street no back yard runs.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:43 PM

1,878 posts, read 4,613,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schismoto View Post
Is there a culinary scene? (we are spoiled with the fastest growth rate of 4 & 5 star independent restaurants here) Can you REALLY get to the beach in roughly 2 hours? Just describe the city for me.. I am moving there no matter what, so it won't be of benefit to hear persuasion. Just give me the raw truth! Thank you SO very much.
Durham and Chapel Hill are known for their foodie scene so you won't have to go to far for that, and Raleigh has its fair share of good restaurants too. Yes, you can really get to the beach in about two hours, Wrightsville specifically.

Cary is very suburban and cookie cutter so sounds like you will like it, and dog friendly. Keep in mind though that it is very family friendly and young singles might find it kind of boring. But if you like suburbia and that's where you will be working then it may be a perfect fit for you. Also, I find Cary to be mostly middle and upper middle class with some more affluent people as well. It has a few lower income areas, but not nearly as much as surrounding cities and towns. Cary is pretty mainstream. Like lovebrentwood said, it's like Pleasantville or others describe it as Stepford.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:16 PM

11,468 posts, read 17,569,723 times
You are comparing a central city of a metro area with a large suburb within a multi-node metro area. They are apples and oranges. That said, you will find that your life isn't bounded by the Cary Town limits. In fact, you might not even live in Cary (though you will work there).
Cary abuts Raleigh to its east with Durham to its northwest. Additional communities are scattered about the area, each with its own vibe.
The Triangle as a whole is highly educated and relatively affluent. Cary is arguably the most affluent and has little to no run down areas or places you'd probably consider to be slums. Much of Cary is planned developments of different sizes. Some are small and others are huge. Most of Cary has been built since 1980 but there is a small charming downtown that feels more like a village than the center of a "town" of about 140,000 people. The Triangle as a whole is more populated than the Louisville metro but none of the cities have the total population of the consolidated Louisville city/county population. You shouldn't want for things to do. The Triangle is not a "small" place. It has over 1.7 Million people.
Wake County, home to Cary, has 900,000 people alone and continues to rapidly grow. Raleigh, the state capital, is immediately adjacent to Cary and has about 400,000 in its city limits now. It is surrounded by a variety of mid sized suburbs in addition to Cary. Durham, at 230,000 people is nearby too. When the Western Wake Freeway is completed next year, a trip to Durham will be a straight shot north from the western side of Cary. My guess is that it would be less than 20 minutes. Chapel Hill, a classic example of a college town, is also within easy reach of Cary via I-40.
Good luck with the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary