Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 07:40 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times

Advertisements

I got a notice from TWC that they are making some needed improvements starting in mid-June:
  • Completely reorganizing their channel lineup to group channels into categories:
    • Local
    • Kids & Family
    • Learning & Discovery
    • Faith & Inspiration
    • Entertainment
    • Home & Leisure
    • Shopping
    • News
    • Music
    • Sports
    • Movies
    • Premiums
    • International
  • HD Channels will have the same groupings - Add a "1" in front of the SD equivalent channel
  • Adding a remote DVR capability, allowing programming via the web
  • Showing videos and photos on your TV
  • New HD channels - E!, Spike, CMT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 08:18 PM

792 posts, read 4,487,051 times
Everything you listed, AT&T uverse has had for well over a year. It just goes to show that competition between providers is a very good thing! Good job TWC for finally starting to catch up.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:40 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
How about a DVR that isn't a huge POS?

If I wasn't so terrified of getting stuck with a satellite that won't work, I'd drop 'em in a heartbeat.

Bout friggin' time on the HD thing, too. Nothing more frustrating than trying to figure out which HD channel corresponds to its SD equivalent (you know, for all those times the HD starts breaking up so bad you have to watch the SD channel).

Mike

Old 05-24-2010, 09:52 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
They rolled this out in Wilmington and SC about six weeks ago. Not sure I'm a big fan of four-digit channel numbers, but really, what's one more? (For example, ESPN is channel 500 under the new system in Wilmington, with ESPN HD checking in at 1500.)

Old 05-25-2010, 07:02 AM

564 posts, read 872,959 times
We just moved here and have TWC. Glad to see the reorg of the channels as it has been hard to adjust to the way it currently organized. Just wish we had Uverse in our area as I would switch in a heartbeat.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:43 PM

14 posts, read 30,383 times
Once Directv added On Demand, I thought nobody would still use TWC?

Directv has had Media Share on their boxes for years.
The networking also allows you to view shows you have on another room's DVR.

And for $10, I installed playon software which allows me to view online content (hulu, mlb.tv, netflix, amazonVOD, etc) on my big screen tv right through my DTV box.

I was tempted to switch to TWC for one year when they offered everything including high def for $29/mo for 12 months but I quickly came to my senses. You get what you pay for. TWC sucks!

Old 05-25-2010, 06:28 PM

161 posts, read 581,200 times
I just hope they fix the tv listing grid to sort by favorite channels first. That capability was removed a few weeks ago when they did a software upgrade. It's irritating having to scroll through all the listings to find the few channels that I watch. I contacted TWC about it, the guy said he put a note on my account -- I just hope that note gets seen by someone...

Old 05-25-2010, 06:31 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
I just switched from Directv to TWC with a Tivo Premier. So far it's working well - it'll hold me over until Directv finally releases a HD Directivo.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:01 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
How about a DVR that isn't a huge POS?

If I wasn't so terrified of getting stuck with a satellite that won't work, I'd drop 'em in a heartbeat.
Fwiw I switched to Dish and I think everything is years ahead of TWC in terms of service, equipment, customer service, and channels. All this organization and much better thought out equipment show what happens when you let monopolies operate.

Also, ever notice how it seems to only be TWC saying that service goes out? I have yet to have the service go out. I'm sure it can happen, but with a DVR, so what?

Old 05-26-2010, 10:19 AM

34 posts, read 102,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I have yet to have the service go out. I'm sure it can happen, but with a DVR, so what?
Well... if your service is out, then your DVR is recording no signal... blackness.

TWC drives me bonkers, the DVR and channels are so user-unfriendly. Search functionality for programs is non-existant, DVR performance is unreliable. I'm waiting for my contract to expire and then planning to go HD antenna/Netflix/Hulu, etc. Not that that doesn't have it's downfalls either, but at least I'll save a little money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary