Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:20 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times

Advertisements

Press the brake just enough to trigger the stop lights but not far enough to really brake.

This will cause the tailgater to suddenly react and get back off your tail thinking you are beginning to slow or stop.

I had a 64 Vette with a gas tank high in the back and a fiberglas body. Really did not want someone in my rear area.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:30 AM

143 posts, read 416,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I had a 64 Vette with a gas tank high in the back and a fiberglas body.

Nice!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:35 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC81 View Post
Nice!
I got it in 68 for $2,100 with 20K miles.

Theft recovery but lots of fun since I ran a Shell station on the grave shift and had plenty of time to play with the Vette in the wee hours.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:30 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
If someone is tailgating me, especially at night, I simply pull off and let them pass. The aggravation of them right behind me, and the potential cause for harm if I were to have to suddenly stop, is worth the 5 seconds I lose by pulling over.
I think this is an excellent plan and one I will use in the future. It lets the tailgater know they are following too closely (I am sure many times they don't even realize). And if defuses the situation.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:50 AM

6 posts, read 12,224 times
I've had the same experience- it's the transplants (as you well know), not people from NC that do this. They just couldn't leave that part of their behavior behind in NY/CT/NJ/MA for some reason. I simply do my best to (safely) get out of their way and let them drive-crazy as far away from me as possible. I also (if I'm in a good mood) pray that they will eventually realize that aggressive driving is rare here and being a big jerk will only eventually lead to speeding tickets and accidents. (If I'm in a bad mood, I think much less friendly thoughts!)

We moved here three years ago, and trust me, your love for the area will only grow! We're originally from CT and don't miss it one bit!

Don't let those idiots get to you, just get out of their way as safely as possible - I really don't recommend confronting them, you never know how truly nuts they are!

Hope this helps-
Tara

Old 05-27-2010, 12:31 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraTravels View Post
I've had the same experience- it's the transplants (as you well know), not people from NC that do this. They just couldn't leave that part of their behavior behind in NY/CT/NJ/MA for some reason.
Sorry, this attempt to assign all blame to "others" doesn't work for me. There are bad drivers from everywhere - some of them are even native to NC.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:33 PM

66 posts, read 143,482 times
HappyTees! I have had the same experience and I just moved here from Manhattan a year ago. The people on 40 are worse than the cab drivers in midtown. I feel your pain....

I don't know who it is, but I have to tell you that I drove to the beach with my mom and baby last weekend, and once I got past Raleigh, the tailgating stopped.

It seems to start once I get on 40 from Durham, it goes on until I am past Raleigh. I dread driving to the airport to get relatives and friends when they come to visit and I avoid driving on 40 as much as I can, taking side roads whenever possible.

Just steer clear as much as you can. Something about that highway transforming into 4 lanes makes people go tail happy... It seems that the people in large vehicles, vans, and pickup trucks are the worst offenders.

I usually just keep my distance, creating lots of space between myself and the person in front of me, in case I need to stop for any reason. Usually, the aggressive tailgater behind me will get annoyed and pass me.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:33 PM

746 posts, read 2,246,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Sorry, this attempt to assign all blame to "others" doesn't work for me. There are bad drivers from everywhere - some of them are even native to NC.
ding ding ding circle gets the square!!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:38 PM

838 posts, read 2,523,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
You're supposed to slow down if you're being tailgated - that's how you make the situation safe. You don't slam on your brakes either, you just slow down.

Part of the problem is, people who think they are being tailgated will slow down, and then try and race the other car as it speeds up to pass them. What does that solve?

Just reading these threads its amazing how many bad habits are freely discussed...
Dropping below the speed limit in a passing lane is very unsafe. This should be common knowledge for anyone that has driven on I40/540/440 around here. This is what my response was directed toward.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:39 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Yes, you shouldn't even be in the left lane if you're going slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary