Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:26 AM

106 posts, read 174,662 times

Advertisements

Hi All, I am new to this forum. I have read through some of these threads and see how helpful everyone is with feedback on relocation. I am considering relocating to NC from Massachusetts within the next year with my teen age son that will be attending high school by that time. After researching I have narrow my interest in Raleigh/Durham, Greensboro/Winston-Salem (more on Raleigh) I would like some feedback on which has best schools, activities, nightlife, neighborhoods, meeting people, low crime, etc. I work from home so employment opportunity in not a big issue (but helpful for future use) I appreciate any feedback as I am (and my son) a little nervous on making this move since I've lived in Massachusetts all my life. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 01:43 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,066,985 times
I think you hit the nail on the head by favoring Raleigh among the cities listed. Not only will it give you everything you seek, it will also be a welcoming place for your teenager since there is always new kids in town like him to relate to.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:07 PM

871 posts, read 3,013,088 times
Kids have a great life in the Raleigh area. Speaking generally, but pretty accurately, if I may say so.

What is your gender, age bracket, interests, private/public schools, etc. Teen son like to play baseball, music, etc.? A little more detail and we'll whisk you away.

Former Norwood/Newton/Wayland here.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:07 AM

Kids have a great life in the Raleigh area. Speaking generally, but pretty accurately, if I may say so.

What is your gender, age bracket, interests, private/public schools, etc. Teen son like to play baseball, music, etc.? A little more detail and we'll whisk you away.

Thank you Eloyfan/rnc2mbfl for your responses....

I am a hispanic single female, late 30's.

I'm a data analyst and enjoy biking, jogging so a place with a good location for running would be nice. I also enjoy watching sports.

I would like to know of any activities I can involve myself in to be able to meet people and would like to have some nightlife entertaintment as well.

My teenage son likes basketball, football and baseball. I am looking for a good high school for him (does not have to be private as long as is a good school) where he can also meet some new friends (as this is his first time leaving from the place where he was born and grew up in, he's a little nervous about the whole relocation).

I am also interested in a good neighborhood. After doing some research on this forum, it seems like North Raleigh is a good place. I did see some pictures of SE Raleigh did not look like a good location. Can anyone share some shed into this as well?

Again, I greatly appreciate any feedbacks. Thank you all.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:16 AM

481 posts, read 1,084,086 times
As a kid who had to move right before my freshman year and had no say in the matter....wait until he is out of HS if you are able to. It was hard for me to leave all my friends who I grew up with and was bummed I could not go my HS. I made it though fine of course but it can be rough to start over at that grade. Just food for thought If he is ok with it and you have talked about it, then of course go for it! We moved from NJ and love it.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:22 AM

871 posts, read 3,013,088 times
I cannot recommend anyplace in particular in North Raleigh because I am not familiar with the geographical areas in relation to good schools. The Wakefield area may be a great fit, and the search function will bring up all past discussions of school particulars. Neighborhoods, I would just see what works for your budget and actually see the areas you are interested in person, which some folks do and some don't, with mixed results.

There is zero nightlife in Cary, where I live with my family. It's a town with terrific parks, running/biking trails and a wonderful youth sports program. Your son could immerse himself in a number of sports pursuits. That goes equally for Raleigh.

My word of advice is do not look to relocate to SE Raleigh.

Here's hoping some folks with more to contribute will pile on here with some good suggestions. Coming up on a long holiday weekend, it may be slow traffic here on C-D. Keep looking here though!

Old 05-28-2010, 11:02 PM

233 posts, read 859,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post

Former Norwood/Newton/Wayland here.

OK... Off topic.... you said Wayland.... so I have to ask, what years did you graduate?? I should say I was born in Worcester, lived in Shrewsbury until 1979, then moved to Weston and graduated in '86, worked for Triple A Supermarkets. After that I lived in Acton, worked in Newton for the Tab Newspaper, worked for Newton Nissan (more recently owned by Frost Motors, who just recently lost their dealership contract with Cadillac), worked at the Auburndale Star Market, married and lived in Waltham for about 6 yrs, and worked for the corporate office for Store 24 in Waltham. I knew alot of kids that went to Newton North HS , and I used to love a great bar that was up in Newton Centre. I have a bunch of friends that came from Nonantum (The Lake) village of Newton, and I always wanted to live down there... its own little Italy! The bakery, the fresh sausage store!! I drive all the way from Worcester to Nonantum when I go home to get sausage and scali bread and cook for my family!

Old 05-29-2010, 04:52 AM

596 posts, read 1,702,843 times
For the best public schools, check out the Chapel Hill School District (the home of the University of North Carolina). Over 90% of their graduates go onto college and nearly all students take the SATs (96%), yet the school district still managed to have the highest scores in the state and well above the national average. Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools - CHCCS: Who We are Facts & Figures Chapel Hill is far less traffic congested than Raleigh and has a lower crime rate. It's a great place for kids, and adults. Chapel Hill, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia There is a nice diversity in Chapel Hill because of the university's presence (besides students, faculty and researchers). Also, as a university town there is plenty of nightlife, and it's actually not all geared towards undergrads/grad students. For additional nightlife options, Durham is about 15-20 minutes north. Duke Forest, University Lake and other locations throughout town provide excellent biking/running options. The city also has free public transit which is a great benefit for you and a teenage son. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaCrM...eature=related

Old 05-31-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishellina View Post
As a kid who had to move right before my freshman year and had no say in the matter....wait until he is out of HS if you are able to. It was hard for me to leave all my friends who I grew up with and was bummed I could not go my HS. I made it though fine of course but it can be rough to start over at that grade. Just food for thought If he is ok with it and you have talked about it, then of course go for it! We moved from NJ and love it.
I know the feeling as my mother and siblings also moved from South Bronx, New York to Lowell, Massachusetts while I was a school age teen myself. My siblings and I were not very happy as we had to start all over in a place very much different than what life was in NY and also leave our friends behind. We started making friends right away because we were school age. This is why I feel I should make the move right when he will start his freshman year so that he won't be the only one starting a new school and will also have better changes of making friends. Being so young at the time we couldn't understand why my mother had made a decission to leave such an exciting city (so we thought it was at that present time, overlooking all the violience and crime happening around us) to live in such a boring city (at the time) like Lowell. After being older and living there for several years, we finally understood that my mother made the right decession looking out for our best interest. I can proudly say that as of today, we are all college graduates with a good profession thanks to my mother (being a single parent) and her decission to relocate. Looking back now at the friends we left behind, they are either on drugs, killed or out there commiting crimes. I also wondered what would had became of us if my mother would of not made the decission to relocate.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
I cannot recommend anyplace in particular in North Raleigh because I am not familiar with the geographical areas in relation to good schools. The Wakefield area may be a great fit, and the search function will bring up all past discussions of school particulars. Neighborhoods, I would just see what works for your budget and actually see the areas you are interested in person, which some folks do and some don't, with mixed results.

There is zero nightlife in Cary, where I live with my family. It's a town with terrific parks, running/biking trails and a wonderful youth sports program. Your son could immerse himself in a number of sports pursuits. That goes equally for Raleigh.

My word of advice is do not look to relocate to SE Raleigh.

Here's hoping some folks with more to contribute will pile on here with some good suggestions. Coming up on a long holiday weekend, it may be slow traffic here on C-D. Keep looking here though!
Thanks for the info. I was doing more research on neighborhoods and schools in Raleigh and narrowed it down to 3 neighborhoods and 2 schools. The neighborhoods are:

1. Creedmoor/Lynn Rd (NW Raleigh)
2. North Hills/Millbrook Rd (North Raleigh)
3. Glenwood Ave/Fairfield Rd (Downtown towards SW Raleigh. house range a bit pricey in this section)

The two schools are:

1. Leesville Road High
2. Sanderson High

I am also planning to rent first as I want to get familiar with the areas first before buying. Does anyone know what the rental price range is for any of the neighborhoods mentioned above?

I also would like to have some feedback on this neighborhoods/schools from anyone familiar with these neighborhoods of have kids attending any of these schools. I've also heard (from reading threads) that sometimes students are moved around to different schools once they are stabilized in one due to growth. Is this true? Can I choose which school I want my son to go to or does the school system makes this decission?

Again, thank you all for you help. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary