U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Have you ever been approved for an appeal on a transfer request in Wake County?
Yes 0 0%
No, always been denied 8 61.54%
Never uesd appeal process 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:16 PM

7 posts, read 20,975 times
Unhappy Please help get an Appeal approved For School Transfer.

I would appreciate any help or information on the best way to get a appeal for a transfer approved in Wake County schools. I have twins entering 6th grade. We are new to wake county and missed the first application process. I was told all I have to do is explain that in a transfer request and my children would be approved to a school that suits their academic needs. I was denied, now I have an appeal date next week and I need to ensure that I get this transfer request approved. I have been researching the best ways to get approved, but I find only information that people get denied. Is there anyone out there who has been approved? Do you know what I could say that would make the board feel compelled to approve our request? The base school they are destined lacks so many resources for AG students and doesn't have the extra curricular programs that the magnet schools offer. I feel that if my children don't get into Ligon, they will suffer academically.
Please help my children achieve academic success by sharing your thoughts and experiences.
Thank you,
Laura
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 01:53 PM

7,276 posts, read 13,932,161 times
Been there done that, was denied every time. I've been through the appeals process for Ligon too. You have to get into Ligon through the lottery during the designated window or live in the base area, otherwise you won't get in even if your kids are AG. I gave them every excuse in the book. I'd still go through the appeals process though. It can't ever hurt to ask, but don't get your hopes up.

Last edited by lamishra; 05-27-2010 at 02:50 PM..

Old 05-27-2010, 02:39 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,632,216 times
Transfers are approved for very specific reasons. Without that in place, can you imagine how unfair and chaotic the process would be?

WCPSS:Students Recieve 2010-11 School Assignments on May 14

Old 05-27-2010, 02:45 PM

8,216 posts, read 11,562,962 times
Went to the board twice with appeals several years ago - shot down both times.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:48 PM

1,832 posts, read 2,905,555 times
What is your base school? What do you mean by "limited resources?" The magnets are filled via lottery and I can't imagine you getting approved at this point. I would recommend that you possibly ask to be transferred to Ligon OR a school with greater AG resources to meet your kids' needs. You can't count on extracurriculars b/c those are, of course, extra (outside) the academic curricula. Now, if your base school doesn't provide after care but Ligon does, and you work and need it, that's another story.

I would be as specific as possible in what your kids need that your base school can't provide, request more than one school (perhaps your calendar option has more resources?) and not get your hopes up. Sorry.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:42 PM

The base school they are assigned to is Durant. It lacks resources by clustering the AG students only in Language Arts and Math. The Magnet schools offer AG in more areas of study. I plan on that being a main point when I make my appeal. I truly appreciate your insight to this process.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:09 PM

104 posts, read 270,558 times
Let me know how it goes. I haven't been through the appeals process, but I've been denied magnet status and transfer requests every year. *sigh*

Old 05-27-2010, 06:23 PM

261 posts, read 523,859 times
I'm an older mom, my twins are now at NCSU but they went to Durant Elem and middle. When we realized some instruction they were not getting or not enough, my husband and I did some supplemental teaching at home. We found a lot of materials at the Teach Me store and spent their track outs and weekends doing some sort of homeschool. If you don't get your transfer, which I doubt you will, then just work with your twins yourself. I enjoyed it and have 2 engineers at State now making near straight As

Old 05-28-2010, 09:08 AM

906 posts, read 1,374,651 times
I seriously doubt that your appeal will be granted. The only reason I've heard of any of my friends getting a transfer approved is because of work/childcare issues. I was once told by a woman in Growth Management not to say that my child really needed or wanted the magnet program. She said that's obvious and that everybody who applies wants the program. You've got to have a different reason.

I have a few questions and thoughts:

1) Have your twins been identified as AG by WCPSS? If not, they won't be placed in AG classes. I met a woman whose daughter got into Ligon but she came from a Wake County charter school. Even though she was AG, WCPSS wouldn't accept it because it wasn't done by WCPSS. She spent one year on the non-AG track at Ligon before getting tested and moved up to the AG track. Their experience on the non-AG track was not a good one. Some electives were not available to her since she wasn't AG and the expectations for her work were not as high as they had been at her previous school. As a result, she actually lost some ground that year.

2) From what I understand, Ligon no longer separates the AG kids for all 4 core courses. I think that your child must be identified as 'very strong' in both math and language arts to get into AG for all 4 core classes at Ligon. Otherwise, they are in with the 'regular' kids for science and social studies. That's standard at all the other middle schools.

3) What is your traditional school option? If you are wanting more options for electives, that may be the way to go. I know that Durant doesn't offer as many electives as the other schools. You would have much better luck getting into your traditional option than you will Ligon. They really are trying to accommodate calendar preferences this year. I'm guessing your trad option might be West Millbrook. They have an amazing principal and if I remember correctly they didn't lose as many electives during the budget cuts as other middle schools did.

4) Have you thought about East Millbrook? I'm guessing that's your IB magnet application school. There's still no guarantee that a transfer to E Millbrook would be approved, but the chances are greater than Ligon. Ligon is insanely popular and it is incredibly difficult to get into unless you're coming from a magnet elem school. East Millbrook doesn't offer as many different electives as Ligon, but it is WAAAAAAY more than your kids will get at a non-magnet middle school. Non-magnets are limited to only one elective class each semester. E Millbrook students take 8 classes each semester and it runs on A/B days. Each day they have 4 90 min class periods and they just alternate between A day classes and B day classes (Ligon has 8 45min periods each day).

Every student at East Millbrook has to to take a foreign language and an arts elective each year. Then they also get IB electives in the core areas. In addition to his 4 core courses and PE, this year my 6th grader had: Orchestra, Spanish, Keyboarding, Model UN (AG), Punk'd (social studies IB elective covering tricks in history like the Trojan Horse), and a technology/science IB elective. If we had stayed at our base non-magnet middle school he would have had Orchestra. That's it.

Anyway, its worth considering one or more of the less popular magnets. Still no guarantee that you'll get the transfer, but you'll have a better chance.

I suspect that we might live in the same part of town. You can PM me if you've got any other questions and don't want them posted for everyone to see. :-)

Old 05-28-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoskiesNC View Post
I'm an older mom, my twins are now at NCSU but they went to Durant Elem and middle. When we realized some instruction they were not getting or not enough, my husband and I did some supplemental teaching at home. We found a lot of materials at the Teach Me store and spent their track outs and weekends doing some sort of homeschool. If you don't get your transfer, which I doubt you will, then just work with your twins yourself. I enjoyed it and have 2 engineers at State now making near straight As
Wonderful that your twins are in NCSU now making A's, and did well with your help in Durant. We also supplement learning at home using summer bridges and some other programs. I will look into the teach me store, thank you. I am being optimistic about this, I have to be. I just hope that if I provide the facts then the transfer will be granted, if not they will be very successful in Durant and we will have to challenge them at home. Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary