U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-16-2007, 09:54 AM

374 posts, read 1,093,851 times
Default where do you find school supply lists before school starts?

I have one son starting Kindergarten and one starting 1st grade in Wake county public and i looked on the school site and it didnt list school supply lists anywhere. Do stores have them posted?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 09:57 AM

3,124 posts, read 8,721,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfamilyof4 View Post
I have one son starting Kindergarten and one starting 1st grade in Wake county public and i looked on the school site and it didnt list school supply lists anywhere. Do stores have them posted?

thanks
Most of the indivdual school web sites have them up closer to the time school starts. I've seen some lists at Target for schools in the same 'near area' of the store...that isn't all schools/stores that do that though.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:03 AM

20 posts, read 78,499 times
If they do post a list, there is a good chance that it won't get posted until later in the summer. Unless it is a year-round school, most schools won't start up until sometime in August. There is a chance that the school where your children will be attending may also have had a new teacher hired/or will be hired as well, so the new teacher will probably not get around to making out a supply list until later this summer. I would check late July.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:37 AM

232 posts, read 458,715 times
I have seen school lists at Staples and Office Max as well.

Many schools (except for year round) release their lists at the end of July so parents can take advantage of the annual North Carolina Sales Tax Free Weekend. This is usually the first weekend in August. Here is a link that explains it. Follow prices closely on big ticket items like computers and Texas Instruments calculators. Stores have been known to have their best sales the weekend before the holiday and return to 'regular pricing' for the holiday.

Sales Tax Holiday

Old 06-16-2007, 12:56 PM

374 posts, read 1,093,851 times
well the school is year round and they start in 3 weeks! so i cant wait until later in the summer...LOL.

I'll call the school on monday. there was probably already an open-house or oreintation that I missed. thanks anyway.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 15,987 times
Default Check out printschoollist.com

There is a new web site being developed for schools to post their school supply list. The list can be searched in a data base. This site is expected to be fully functional be end of month

Old 07-23-2007, 01:35 PM

836 posts, read 2,235,400 times
Beware, though, as I have bought everything off the general list and then shown up for "meet the teacher" and she has her own list, not necessarily the same as the class list. My kids school, Lacy Elem., sends out a summer newsletter with lots of info, including supply list by grade level. However, I always wait til after the first day, except for the things I KNOW they will want....like pencils, tissue, etc. When it comes to number and type of notebook, rule of paper, etc....each teacher can be very different in how she/he works things. Especially once you get past first grade.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:57 PM

7,306 posts, read 14,060,493 times
Personally, unless your child is in an older grade, I wouldn't buy ANYTHING based on the general Wake County list you find in Wal Mart and Target.
I've done it before and gotten totally burned, especially in KG. Her teacher only wanted a handful of items after I'd spent on ton based on the "list". SHe also wanted some items for her classroom that wer not on the list. I didn't spend more or less money either way, but I did have to make several trips to return some items and something else later.
Even last year in 6th grade, the list said we needed a graphing calculator and when asked, the teacher said they wouldn't be using one. That would have been a major expense for an unneeded item.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:00 PM

1,507 posts, read 4,668,457 times
I always stock up on kleenex and hand sanitizer. I also always buy extra glue, glue sticks, pencils, paper and snacks, alot of teachers ask for that on their lists as well.

But yes, you can call the school to get the list. JUST MAKE SURE YOU ASK FOR THE TEACHER'S LIST. They usually ask for specific size notebooks and it never fails, I always buy the wrong size listed on the general school supply list.
Blah.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:13 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,626,588 times
Normally when they send you your teacher's name, and when to come for the open house, it'll include the class specific list. BUT, these do not normally come until very close to the time school starts.
Walmart has them, and the other places you'd normally go ie. some of the drugstores do also. where you can get a lot of stuff, and then only have to pick up a couple items closer to school time.
But, if you want to buy Exactly what you need-- wait for the letter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary