Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 03:56 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

I recently got back into playing golf and while visiting family in Florida I played a few times at some nice public courses for about $30 a round + golf cart rental. How much should I expect to pay at a public course in the Triangle? I am open to places in Raleigh, Durham, Cary, and Wake Forest so if you have any suggestions on specific courses to check out that would be great. I'm still not very good so it doesn't need to be a very challenging course. Right now affordablility is the biggest consideration for me.

Thanks!

~ NRG

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 05-31-2010 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 04:09 PM

242 posts, read 796,177 times
If you're a Senior, you can expect to pay anywhere from $20 - around $35 during the week. If you're a "youngster", then probably around $35 - $55 per round. Both includes carts. If you want to golf for free, then see if your favorite golf course needs any rangers or starters. In most cases, if you work one 5 or 6 hour shift, you will be able to golf for free and have free range privileges.... That's what I do.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:21 PM

476 posts, read 1,676,947 times
This site might help you. You can check rates & tee time availability and select and book your round online. This site is kind of like a Travelocity or Expedia of golf courses (available in most states).

The Raleigh area site represents 46 courses (at this time):
North Carolina - Raleigh/Durham - Tee Times | Golfnow.com

Hit 'em long!

Old 05-31-2010, 04:35 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,857 times
Another option is to register online at a number of Golf Clubs websites so they email their special offers - that works pretty good for me. Another good way is to collect a free copy (or several copies ) of 'Triangle Golf' from Dicks Sporting Goods and most golf courses advertise specials where you clip the coupon and take it to the course to get the reduced rate. Their website link is below

Triangle Golf Today Magazine

Old 06-01-2010, 01:58 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,819 times
Or try clickitgolf.com. They send weekly discounts.
Lakeshore in Durham is relatively cheap and very walkable. I think you can walk it for ~$14.00 weekday afternoons (18 holes). Lakeshore Golf Course
Others are more costly and certainly the time of day and day of the week will change the price.
Knights Play in Cary is a par 3 18 hole course that is very walkable, inexpensive and fun Knights Play Golf Center, Day and Night Par 3 Golf Course in Apex, North Carolina
Hillandale in Durham gets a lot of play but is also very walkable and inexpensive. Hillandale Golf Course | World Class Golf Courses in Durham, NC

Stop in any golf shop or store and pick up a copy of Triangle Golf Today Magazine. It's free, has coupons and a map of all the courses in the area http://www.trianglegolf.net/

Old 06-01-2010, 02:42 PM

600 posts, read 3,449,059 times
Here's a link to Wil-Mar Golf Course on Old Milburnie Rd., on the east side of Raleigh: Rates (http://wil-margolfclub.com/zrates.htm - broken link)

Here's the one to RGA, on Tryon Rd., Lake Wheeler Rd. and 70 East:
Raleigh Golf Association, Raleigh North Carolina | Raleigh Golf Courses

These courses are the oldest in Raleigh besides private clubs, and offer well cared for courses, short-ish but somewhat challenging layouts, and very nice people who run the clubs.

Knights Play is a par three course on 1010 rd., just east of US 1. It has 27 holes. Probably a good way to sharpen ayour game (Read: lower your scores) before you get back on the regulation courses. Here's the rates: Knights Play Golf Center, Day and Night Par 3 Golf Course in Apex, North Carolina

I've been playing all these courses since the early '80's (or at Knights Play, since it was built). They're friendly and fun courses. Championship courses? Nope. What you asked about? Definitely.

Note that unlike many golf courses built into planned home neighborhoods like Hedingham, Prestonwood, etc., these courses are alll easily walkable.

Fairways and greens will take you to the land of par.
A 220 yd. 3 wood in the fairway is better than a 310 yd. drive into the tall grass and long leaf pines. Ask me how I know.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 06-01-2010, 04:19 PM

35 posts, read 107,319 times
Hillandale in Durham is another walkable course with reasonable rates - and they drop in the afternoon, currently 2 PM, if you want to play for under $30 on a weekend including a cart. (It's shown as the "late play" rate on their web site fees page, hillandalegolf.com/green-fees.html.) Hillandale is a nice layout, quite well maintained and not overly long, though it's quite a challenge to slicers - the creek that runs through it is on the right on most holes where it comes into play.
Lakeshore by RTP and Brevofield in Wake Forest are also low-cost and walkable. Not as nice as Hillandale, but worth a shot for a change or if they're closer to you.
By the way, quite a few other courses, including some nice semi-privates, have lower afternoon rates - they can kick in any time from noon to 3 PM, depending on the course. And definitely do check the coupon specials on the website for Triangle Golf Today - you can save a lot. Go to trianglegolf.com, click on "read our current issue", and, when the new page opens, look for the icon to download a .pdf copy at the bottom. Save it, and you can print as many coupons as you like until they expire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary