Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,925 times

Advertisements

Just as an FYI, the precast concrete wall they are talking about looks like stacked stone (or can be made to look like brick if preferred) -- it isn't just a bunch of white concrete slabs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 09:37 AM

187 posts, read 803,249 times
The town of Cary absolutely does patrol the tree buffers of developments or at least they have in the past... In new developments, if the tree buffer guidelines are not followed the developer gets fined. I live in a national builder/tract neighborhood & our builder was fned $10,000 by the Town of Cary 3yrs ago for not havng the proper tree buffer... Thnk with cutbacks & the econmy they just must have slipped up in their oversight with their in ordinances over the years...

Old 06-02-2010, 09:56 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeh View Post
The town of Cary absolutely does patrol the tree buffers of developments or at least they have in the past... In new developments, if the tree buffer guidelines are not followed the developer gets fined. I live in a national builder/tract neighborhood & our builder was fned $10,000 by the Town of Cary 3yrs ago for not havng the proper tree buffer... Thnk with cutbacks & the econmy they just must have slipped up in their oversight with their in ordinances over the years...
And in this circumstance, the town is forcing the developer to replant at least part of the buffer. I don't know the area involved, but I'd imagine it will cost more than $10K to complete. So rather than a fine, the developer is having to do something about their violation. I still don't see any "slip up"..

Old 06-02-2010, 11:36 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Begs the question:
Where is there any indication anywhere that folks who bought in Cameron Pond thought there would be "...absolutely no negative impact..." from 540?

I have not heard anyone say that. All I'm saying is they were goign to be impacted, no matter what. Having a buffer of trees 100 feet wide is not near enough to ameiorate the noise from a major highway, especially in teh winter when the leaves are off the trees. Now, it looks like they will get a wall and some new plantings, which combined, should be better than the buffer alone, so hopefully no one deludes themselves into thinking a better "perfect" solution will come along and they go ahead and take the offer.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:26 PM

223 posts, read 576,840 times
The residents of CP were totally blindsided. Not only was the buffer for 540 removed, but PE erected high-tension wires. No wall or new vegetation can hide this.

You have to consider the "times" in which many homeowners purchased these homes. I was not in NC yet, but I believe that homes started closing 2005ish-2006? The economy was on the up-and-up. Homes were appreciating and homes such as those in CP were in demand. I imagine that many homeowners believed that they would have moved on and "upgraded" to another home by the time 540 was completed. So, the thought of a highway nearby was not a deal breaker for many.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:45 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
I am not sure how you could look at that community on a map with the parcels and think there would be any type of effective buffer.

Last edited by zinner; 06-02-2010 at 01:55 PM..

Old 06-02-2010, 03:50 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,863,564 times
for the benefit of readers not familiar with the area I took a picture of the 'buffer' that the developer planted - you have to look carefully or you will miss. It will take years for these conifers to reach any size that will conceal the rusty utility poles; or maybe the idea is that they will hide the concrete wall. Not sure there's $10,000 worth planted either The residents have my sympathy every time I drive past and no wonder the Town of Cary feels guilty in this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
And in this circumstance, the town is forcing the developer to replant at least part of the buffer. I don't know the area involved, but I'd imagine it will cost more than $10K to complete. So rather than a fine, the developer is having to do something about their violation. I still don't see any "slip up"..
Attached Thumbnails
The Great Wall of Cary-cameron-pond-buffer.jpg  

Old 06-02-2010, 07:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Is the issue here that the buffer was taken down unlawfully, or just a dislike for what became of the property behind these houses (i.e., installation of power lines)? I can understand taking issue with the former, but isn't the latter the risk one takes when buying property that abuts undeveloped land - you never know what will go in.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:52 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Is the issue here that the buffer was taken down unlawfully, or just a dislike for what became of the property behind these houses (i.e., installation of power lines)? I can understand taking issue with the former, but isn't the latter the risk one takes when buying property that abuts undeveloped land - you never know what will go in.
Residents contend that the "undeveloped land" was not promoted to the neighborhood as raw undeveloped land, but as wooded common area for the neighborhood whose fairly heavily wooded nature would offer at least some buffer to 540.

Contentions include that the developer secretly negotiated and sold Progress Energy a right-of-way through what was marketed as Cameron Pond Common Area, that the residents were mislead to believe that the thick tree buffer in the common area would be maintained, that with all this being done in secret that proper notification and disclosure were not given to prospective home buyers/residents after the decision was made to sell the powerline right of way in the common area.
Further it is contended that secrecy was maintained until after the time period to request a 540 noise wall from NC DOT/Turnpike Authority had passed, and that this further compromised the ability of the neighborhood to remediate the damage.

You can see the proposed 540 R-O-W on this map, the greenway easement for TOC, and a note of "Common Open Space":
Books! Online Records - Document Images

Yep. It is a bit of a mess, in a neighborhood that 10 years from now will likely be a great place to live, just as it generally has been to this point.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:10 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
What happened there is really a travesty, but I still would not have purchased a home in CP (or anywhere else) that had any exposure to the 540corridor. Even if the buffer had remained undisturbed that still would have been an absolute dealbreaker for me. I guess it wasn't for all of those unfortunate plaintiffs.

Wakegov.com is a public site. More people should take the time to educate themselves about what is adjacent to property they are looking at. Everybody can find all sorts of useless info on the internet about Jennifer Aniston but well educated six figure RTP execs couldn't check out Imaps before dropping $500K on a house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary