Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 06:18 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,894 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had a decorative concrete company come in and pour another layer over "plain" concrete so you can have stamped and dyed concrete? Is anyone willing to share their experience with the outcome, the company they used, etc.?

I am looking for someone to do this for horizontal (patio) and vertical (retaining wall) surfaces. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 06:59 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
Just last week, I asked a builder about doing that. The situation was that we were doing a punch list walk through on a pre sale and the patio had a crack all the way down the middle of it. As everyone knows, concrete WILL crack but this looked pretty bad and this was a brand new home. We asked the builder if he could put another layer of concrete over it and he said no. He said it wouldn't adhere. He said he'd have to tear it out and re do it, which was what we did.

Vicki

Old 06-03-2010, 07:13 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
There are some decorative coatings that can be put down over sound slabs and some damaged concrete. It is not an entire pour of new concrete, but an epoxy coating or cemetious overlay. It can't go over everything, so it will depend on the quality of what you have and sometimes you will need to have some replaced in patches.

I have worked with these guys on some commercial projects before, but they do residential as well.
Blair Duron Concrete Resoration Services

There also these guys, who did some work on a project a company I worked with did, but I had no direct involvement. THey have a pretty wide range of stuff in their gallery.
Advanced Concrete Coatings

Old 06-03-2010, 11:45 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,076,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Just last week, I asked a builder about doing that. The situation was that we were doing a punch list walk through on a pre sale and the patio had a crack all the way down the middle of it. As everyone knows, concrete WILL crack but this looked pretty bad and this was a brand new home. We asked the builder if he could put another layer of concrete over it and he said no. He said it wouldn't adhere. He said he'd have to tear it out and re do it, which was what we did.

Vicki
Hopefully with a nice control joint to minimize the crack appearance this time?

Not to climb on my soapbox but concrete is tough to fix. Its tough to tear out and replace. Its one of those jobs where proper prep and attention to details is important.
I cringe when I see base prep that consists of scrapping some clay, when I see contractors adding extra water to the mix to make it easier to work, when control joints aren't cut and when no provisions are made to keep the concrete from drying out too quickly.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary