Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:33 PM

746 posts, read 2,240,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
Just an FYI, I got a speeding ticket about a year ago and contacted afew attorneys. I was informed by several that a PFJ is NOT A GUARENTEE. It is up to the judge sitting at the time on weather or not he wants to grant it. I was also informed that is a PFJ is granted some judges require hours of community service (i was told most judges make you do 1 hr for each mph over the limit you were traveling). My $.02 would be to consult an attorney in DC and avoid going the PFJ route.
a DC lawyer will do this person no good, the ticket was issued in NC.

If you decide to come down for it, you'll talk to a magistrate, pay the fine, and more than likely, you will be reduced down, provided you didn't make any memorable remarks to the arresting officer/trooper.

Don't count on it not hitting your insurance, particularly if the magistrate's having a bad day or just isn't feeling generous. You can request to see the judge AFTER seeing the magistrate if you feel that the magistrate wasn't fair.

My advice? If you can, go to the court date if it's convenient for you. A lawyer will likely cost $200-300 (as stated above), plus the cost of the ticket (meager - like $10), plus any fines. The real kicker is the insurance rate increase. Depending on your age, that can be significant.

If, otoh, you can't appear yourself, talk to the lawyers who have mailed you their scary grams, see which one has the least snake oil scent, and who you feel will represent you well - this will feel like a one night stand, trust me, I just went through it in VA - you pay the fine and it's taken care of as best as possible. In NC I believe reckless driving is 20 mph over the limit -VA and NC are reciprocal, I'm not sure if you actually live in Washington or the surrounding area.

All told, my little thank you note for driving in VA cost me $610. Ouch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 08:11 AM

450 posts, read 1,548,472 times
I was in the same boat about a year ago, only my ticket was in VA as I was driving through to go to DC. My ticket was 16 mph over (81 in a 65), but anything 80mph or above in VA, regardless of speed limit, is considered reckless. I'm not sure about NC, but it might be the same.

Make sure you at least TALK to some of the lawyers. Ask them what they think they can get you. The fine will be the fine as I'm yet to find a state that will suspend the fine even if they suspend the violation (unless you're proven not-guilty for some reason, like faulty radar gun or drunken cop, LOL). So, expect to pay the same fine, regardless of what deal is cut with the court. Since that's the case, the best thing to do is make sure your insurance doesn't go up. Any decent lawyer will be able to get you down to a non-moving violation (like defective equipment) if they can provide the DA or the magistrate with your driving record. That's what I did. I gave my driving record (last 10 years) to the attorney to present and since it was clean as a whistle, the DA had no problem in lowering it to defective equipment. The magistrate still ordered traffic school, but I did that online.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:28 PM

1,997 posts, read 3,564,320 times
It's not a big deal, I just mailed mine in and paid the fine. Unless you want to pay for a lawyer and a fine.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:04 PM

746 posts, read 2,240,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
It's not a big deal, I just mailed mine in and paid the fine. Unless you want to pay for a lawyer and a fine.
15 over is a big deal - in some states, NC included, you can have your license revoked. The reason to either show up and try to work it yourself or hire a lawyer is to plea down to a less egregious offense, thus incurring a smaller fine, and not paying for it over the next 3-5 years in insurance premium increases.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:36 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,010,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
15 over is a big deal - in some states, NC included, you can have your license revoked. The reason to either show up and try to work it yourself or hire a lawyer is to plea down to a less egregious offense, thus incurring a smaller fine, and not paying for it over the next 3-5 years in insurance premium increases.
I agree here!

Most states have reciprocity and just paying the ticket may not work to your advantage.

My friend received a ticket in another state for going 16mph over the posted speed limit. She paid the ticket and went on with life. A few months later she received a notice in the mail from the NC DMV that her drivers license has been suspended and she needed to mail in her license.

She has fought it and I believe she has a PFJ now (she can't get caught with any other driving violation for a year. This is for the state of NC, not the state where she received the ticket).

It was a big PITA for her so my suggestion would be to hire someone who knows what they are doing to represent you.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:35 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,677,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
Any decent lawyer will be able to get you down to a non-moving violation (like defective equipment) if they can provide the DA or the magistrate with your driving record.
I have been in contact with one of them, and that's what was advised. I'm likely going to go the lawyer route since I really don't think I can make it back down to NC for the court date.

Thanks again, everyone! You've all been very helpful

Old 06-05-2010, 10:37 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,495,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
I have been in contact with one of them, and that's what was advised. I'm likely going to go the lawyer route since I really don't think I can make it back down to NC for the court date.

Thanks again, everyone! You've all been very helpful
Wake county does not allow for "improper equipment" violations. I would double check that advice with another lawyer.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
Wake county does not allow for "improper equipment" violations. I would double check that advice with another lawyer.
Ok, thanks. The ticket wasn't in Wake County (Granville), but it's worth double-checking anyway.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:28 AM

804 posts, read 1,998,041 times
i'm probably late to this convo, but perhaps i can offer a bit of advice for the OP & anybody who may search this thread again.

- in NC, 15 over is considered reckless driving. how that would affect an out-of-state license, i don't know.

- if it's less than 15 over, it is possible to speak with the DA directly on the court date. in NC if it is reduced to 9 over it does not go on your license as points. in that case you'd simply have to pay court costs & give up some of your time. if it's 15 over, i'd retain counsel to help get it reduced or a PJC (prayer for judgment continued) if appropriate.

- i'd be curious which attorneys are handling this for $200-300 total because most i've found charged around $450 (which included court costs). this was about 4-5 years ago & before the court costs increased in wake county.

- not sure if i can give a link, but i assume a moderator will cut if not! several attorney friends recommend john fanney of bass, bryant, & fanney in downtown raleigh (Bass, Bryant, & Fanney - John K. Fanney (http://www.bbf-law.com/fanney.html - broken link)). they deal with traffic court issues on a daily basis & are fast & reliable. i was pleased with my representation by them & have recommended them to others who have had good experience.

please do share the outcome of your situation. i hope it is favorable.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:16 PM

Thanks LoopDeLoop! I'll check them out. Some of the letters break down their fees (some include court costs and an estimated fine), others don't. I've been corresponding by email with one attorney and hope to call a few others to compare.

Once this is all done I'll make sure to do a follow-up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary