Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 07:34 AM
jgb jgb started this thread

480 posts, read 1,343,519 times

Advertisements

Got a phone call about this offer, good for a year. It would save us a lot over what we pay for our regular phone but a few years ago I know people complained about the reliability of digital phone. Does anyone now have this and are they satisfied? The 20 bucks a month includes unlimited calling within US plus some features like caller ID and call waiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 08:34 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,180 times
Voipo is $8.25 a month unlimited and the price won't change after a year. It has a lot more features than Digital Phone.
We ported our number from Vonage, which was already cheaper and more feature-filled than Digital Phone. So basically, TWC can their Digital Phone.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:05 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
I've had TWC digital phone for about 6 years, both in Raleigh and Chapel Hill. Never had a single glitch with it.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:39 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,475,138 times
We bought an OOMA VOIP (voice over ip) phone from Costco for $249. All we pay is taxes which are 2 or $3 per month. it coems with everything, caller id call waiting voice mail. everything that i need and you can buy more features if you want them. the quality is slightly fuzzier than a landline, but it doesn't bother me.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:23 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
We bought an OOMA VOIP (voice over ip) phone from Costco for $249. All we pay is taxes which are 2 or $3 per month. it coems with everything, caller id call waiting voice mail. everything that i need and you can buy more features if you want them. the quality is slightly fuzzier than a landline, but it doesn't bother me.
My wife and I recently got the OOMA Telo system from Costco as well. No problems to report. The thing I love about it is that the number and system follows you wherever you go. All you need is highspeed internet.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:00 PM

754 posts, read 1,693,180 times
We looked into OOMA, but I didn't like the high up-front cost for the unit and it's not clear how free or cheap the "free" service is going to be in the future. They have every incentive to keep pushing features into OOMA Premier.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:24 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,582,975 times
One thing to be aware of, is when you get the Time Warner VOIP, the voip is not sharing bandwidth with your internet connection. This isolation will prevent issues with bandwidth and VOIP cut outs or quality issues.

Right now I use Vonage with Roadrunner and I have issue with call quality when upload pictures or heavy downloads. If you have problems with your Internet based VOIP, it will just turn into finger pointing with you stuck in the middle.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:29 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
We looked into OOMA, but I didn't like the high up-front cost for the unit and it's not clear how free or cheap the "free" service is going to be in the future. They have every incentive to keep pushing features into OOMA Premier.
So far all we have paid is $249 for the equipment and $3.47 for one month of taxes and surcharges.

The OOMA premiere service is $9.99/mo if you chose to continue it (it's free for 60 days).

Old 06-07-2010, 01:45 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,149,572 times
I used Vonage for a while but after they kept raising there taxes and additional fees. I went to voipo as stated by aldamon above. 8.95 unlimited and works better then vonage. I was able to keep my existing phone number also. I would recommend giving them a try. Time Warner is garbgage, after a year you will be playing double. I wouldn't use their phone if it was 50% off for life.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:06 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,582,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
I used Vonage for a while but after they kept raising there taxes and additional fees. I went to voipo as stated by aldamon above. 8.95 unlimited and works better then vonage. I was able to keep my existing phone number also. I would recommend giving them a try. Time Warner is garbgage, after a year you will be playing double. I wouldn't use their phone if it was 50% off for life.
I don't think there is much they can do about the 911 fees and taxes. But yay the 4 bux they tack on for other stuff is kind of disappointed. I have one month left on vonage before I can cancel with no penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary