Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 10:22 PM

546 posts, read 2,411,973 times

Advertisements

Maybe if the fake owls scare away the mice, chipmunks, etc the snakes will look elsewhere for food? You can only hope! I have lived in my current house for 8 years and have killed 2 copperheads. We don't even live in the woods!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 08:01 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,666,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclover View Post
Maybe if the fake owls scare away the mice, chipmunks, etc the snakes will look elsewhere for food? You can only hope! I have lived in my current house for 8 years and have killed 2 copperheads. We don't even live in the woods!
You do not need to live in the woods. Just 2 weeks ago I saw a dead copperhead on the exit ramp from 98 to Capital. And then we saw a black snake in the road near where McDonalds is in Wake Forest, it was trying to cross. And the person who says only in the more rural areas they can be found, is so incorrect. I have lived here longer than you and know that where the food source is they will be found,

Old 06-19-2007, 08:29 AM

991 posts, read 4,606,368 times
Yikes, I don't like snakes but I don't like the high taxes on Long Island either! I hope the one near McDonalds did'nt find some dinner of it's own!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-19-2007, 08:51 AM

959 posts, read 4,483,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
We had an unusual visitor the day of inspection, and the inspector caught this photo. That was a year ago, and we haven't seen him since. The Emu, that is (come to think of it, we haven't seen the inspector, either).
The emu came through our back yard, past the mail box, crossed the street and through the neighbor's yard into the yard behind that. He strutted like he owned the neighborhood. Calm, cool and collected, unruffled.
Wow weird

Did someone come out to fetch the emu?

Old 06-19-2007, 09:00 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,624,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
Wow weird

Did someone come out to fetch the emu?
No, and I took a slow drive past the houses behind us, on the other street, since that is outside the subdivision, to see if I could see anything that looked like it might house an emu or two. There's nothing. Just homes.
He might have wandered a bit farther than that, and like I said, we've never seen him since. He was kind of cool looking.

And, to get back to topic, I'm quite happy that we've not seen any snakes. Our yard is totally fenced, with woods at the back. I'm sure that they're back there and, if they wanted to get into the yard, they could, fence or no.
The yard is large and open and we keep it nicely mowed; maybe they avoid open areas. Lots of birds of prey keep an eye on the place and snakes or other small cirtters would be easy to spot. Fortunately, we don't have any ponds or streams to attract them to our home.

Last year, when we were here on a househunting trip, I picked up the local Raleigh newspaper because the front page article about snakes in Raleigh neighborhoods becoming a problem caught my eye. There were tips on how to minimize the chances they would want to visit, but it definitely was described as a problem.
It figures - their habitat is shrinking with all the building going on.

Last edited by swbtoo; 06-19-2007 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: line

Old 06-19-2007, 12:15 PM

578 posts, read 3,074,407 times
I can add "lizard" to the animals I've seen in my Falls River neighborhood. Cute little guy that scuttles too fast for me to properly identify. But I wouldn't have pegged the grassy, woodsy environment as good for lizards, though the summer heat certainly fits their desires.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:57 AM

8,583 posts, read 15,952,010 times
We found many copperheads and/or cottonmouths in my yard a few years back. They
would crawl right up to the driveway near the garage!!!
I had small toddlers and this was quite worrysome. Now with a cat and dog in the yard
the only thing I have seen is a huge black snake which I consider a good thing
for mice ect.
A friend of mine's 2 year old was bitten by a copperhead while rolling in the grass in his front yard. He recovered but isn't that scarey.
I grew up in the woods and never saw a snake then . Maybe the drought brings them out???

Old 03-26-2008, 11:34 AM

69 posts, read 207,594 times
ummmm... Wondering... for the "get a cat" fans out there.. I am considering moving into a sub... and I didn't think cats prowling around was allowed.. Of course I am from MI where we are pretty free of any dangerous snakes (we like to make friends with the ones we catch.. pick them up.. play with them... gently of course) with your bigger badder snakes is this something that is allowed? We have a GREAT hunter cat (bunnies, mice, BIRDS) and was thinking I HAD to find her a new home... so I'm wondering now....

Old 03-26-2008, 12:14 PM

170 posts, read 1,012,089 times
OP: tie a rope around the house! Sure to work.

We had a snake issue an hour North of here (in 2 months I bagged 20 moccasins, 4 copperheads, relocated countless black). We bought a 20lb bag of sulfur to create a border between our yard and the woods, reapply following heavy rains. It did work. YMMV

Here we see several rat snakes/yr (one last Sunday), some say they look like copperheads. I haven't seen any copperheads in Cary, one moccasin -in 14 years.

I'm no cat fan/hater, they must be kept on leash by ordinance, no one I know complains of free roamers and I feel they keep the rodents away (except for voles).

Old 03-26-2008, 12:16 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,325,857 times
We've got a slew of cats, (No problem which HOA or anything with letting the kitties out to hunt) and a dog, and all the other critters that roam around the yard naturally, like birds, squirrel, deer, voles (they're not good), rabbits, there's a coyote nearby in the woods, turtles, there's groundhogs around, bats, and occassionally we'll see a dead copperhead in the development's road; but we're in the woods all the time and hardly ever see a live one.
Except once, I heard a rattle... It turned out to be a nonvenomous kind that uses it's tail to rustle the leaves, and make others think it's a rattler. That was a bit scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary