U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-08-2010, 02:32 PM

7,574 posts, read 9,599,046 times
Where are they coming from? I ask because a) Seems like they have "some nerve" announcing that they're coming for the weekend with just a few days notice (but that's not my business)! and b) You would want to show them things not like what they have back home. Mostly 'b'.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 02:51 PM

345 posts, read 560,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
I live in Raleigh, but location doesn't matter. I'll take them somewhere nice in the area.

Bellasformas - I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure that applies here. My MIL does not like me and this is their 3rd visit in the seventeen years I've been with their son. Spending "quality time" or actually "knowing me" is clearly not a high priority.

Nonetheless, I have no animosity toward them and would like them to enjoy their visit. They can at least enjoy him and the children while doing something interesting.

Thanks again, everyone!
Oh geez....I hate that for you. I was blessed with incredible parents-in-law. They're both gone now, and I miss them dearly. Have hubby and the kids take them to downtown Wilmington to visit the Serpentarium. It'll be brutally hot and humid there, and they'll likely not be anxious to visit again anytime soon.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:42 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,612,782 times
Be advised:

The Wake County Public School System will award diplomas to 8,223 students in 21 ceremonies through Sunday, June 11.

Might make downtown Raleigh a little iffy this weekend. Just FYI.

also, if you are headed out to dinner - might want to make reservations...

Old 06-08-2010, 08:37 PM

1,764 posts, read 827,220 times
Francois - They are about five hours away in the DC/VA area.

Bellasformas - Thanks for the kind words. You are fortunate to have had incredible in-laws. Sorry for your loss in them. I'm "lucky" in the sense that they love our children.

WeLuvNC - Ah, very good to know. I'll run it by Dh and figure out a game plan soon.

Thank you VERY much to everyone!

Old 06-09-2010, 12:11 PM

474 posts, read 885,888 times
Spend the day in Wake Forest! This could be your Saturday:

1. Arrive at downtown Wake Forest at 0900 a.m. and park anywhere downtown.
2. First, get your coffee at the Wake Forest Coffee company.
3. Then walk over to the Farmers market in Wake Forest. There are a lot of samples to be tasted.
4. After the Farmers Market, browse around downtown especially the cotton company if they like to shop.
5. Then walk to over the falls deli for lunch.
6. Then you can walk over to al a mode ice cream cafe for fresh apple pie or gelato. They have board games there you can play or you can bring your own. A game of uno is way more fun than you ever remembered.
7. After the coffee, lunch, and ice cream you can take a stroll in front of the historic area of wake forest and burn off some calories looking at all the grand historic homes. Just walk out of al a mode and take a right under the railroad bridge and keep walking around the circle around the seminary staying right. You will see the historic street to your right.

All the above is within walking distance of each other

Old 06-09-2010, 06:19 PM

3 posts, read 4,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frrrunkis! View Post
in-laws?

When mine are in the area, i drive them to some random location in the triangle, drop them off, then tell them to find their way back. It keeps them occupied. Some good spots to drop them off...maybe south raleigh or down one of those streets in durham where there are bars on the windows. They love it!
lolololololololol

Old 06-11-2010, 03:10 AM

MJohnson185, That sounds like a wonderful day. I've made notes and will try to get in as much as possible from all the great suggestions.

Thanks!

Old 06-11-2010, 03:31 AM

1,040 posts, read 2,213,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Fester600 - I will check into that as well. Thank you. P.S. Come back and DM a review! ;-)
The Beauty and the Beast show was great! Always an amazing venue at the DPAC. We actually ate at the new Tobacco Road restaurant which is in left field of the Durham Bulls field. The food was really good actually, and the restaurant is less than 5 minutes of a walk. You could watch an inning or two from the outfield and then head on over to the show. That would be perfect!

Good Luck with the in-laws!
Matt

Old 06-11-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester600 View Post
The Beauty and the Beast show was great! Always an amazing venue at the DPAC. We actually ate at the new Tobacco Road restaurant which is in left field of the Durham Bulls field. The food was really good actually, and the restaurant is less than 5 minutes of a walk. You could watch an inning or two from the outfield and then head on over to the show. That would be perfect!

Good Luck with the in-laws!
Matt
It sounds wonderful. I don't know if we'll get to go this weekend, but maybe we'll check it out after their visit.

Glad you had a great time!

Old 06-11-2010, 07:02 AM

2,688 posts, read 4,446,751 times
In-Laws coming:

First reaction: Run, hide, head for the mountains, put the 4-Sale sign up, or the gone fishing sign that says be back when your not.... but that is just first reaction thoughts!

There are many things to see and do. It all depends what they like to do and how far you want to drive while they are here. I'm sure you will find plenty of things to do while they are here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary