Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 06:40 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times

Advertisements

I wanted to give those who have complained about the mess and about the horrible "bike lane" (a term used in that thread describing an additional strip of pavement added on to the edge of the road more commonly known as the shoulder but I guess bicyclists really think DOT gives a crap about them) that was added. People in the thread moaned and griped about how horrible of a job DOT does and why did they even waste the time adding an unusable strip of asphalt.
Well, low and behold, the DOT is not done! Imagine that, people complaining before the work is even completed. I noticed more and more streets that intersect with Purnell Rd. have been milled 30ft. before the intersection. This is done to give new pavement a place to drop making a smooth transition between old surface and new surface.
So, what does all this mean in layman's terms? Purnell Rd. is going to be resurfaced.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-25-2010 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Please review the Terms of Service -- commenting on moderator activity is not allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 07:06 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,719,746 times
thanks for the clarification.

Last edited by SALUKI_LOVER; 04-25-2010 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-26-2010, 07:15 AM

494 posts, read 1,388,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I wanted to give those who have complained about the mess and about the horrible "bike lane" (a term used in that thread describing an additional strip of pavement added on to the edge of the road more commonly known as the shoulder but I guess bicyclists really think DOT gives a crap about them) that was added. People in the thread moaned and griped about how horrible of a job DOT does and why did they even waste the time adding an unusable strip of asphalt.
Well, low and behold, the DOT is not done! Imagine that, people complaining before the work is even completed. I noticed more and more streets that intersect with Purnell Rd. have been milled 30ft. before the intersection. This is done to give new pavement a place to drop making a smooth transition between old surface and new surface.
So, what does all this mean in layman's terms? Purnell Rd. is going to be resurfaced.
I just fell off my chair.Now lets hope they can get it done within the next two years.Good ole Barnhill is never in a rush.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:38 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
Can't wait to see it. Sounds wonderful.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:19 AM

211 posts, read 613,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Can't wait to see it. Sounds wonderful.
It has been started already near the intersection of Thompson Mill and Purnell going west. It may be more, but I don't drive on Purnell for very long and my section (Jackson road - East) has not been started.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darman1484 View Post
It has been started already near the intersection of Thompson Mill and Purnell going west. It may be more, but I don't drive on Purnell for very long and my section (Jackson road - East) has not been started.
I believe they are still patching. They'll cut out the bad asphalt and replace with new before they actually add another new layer of asphalt. At least that's what was going on today ~noon when I went through there.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:01 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,952,476 times
I'll believe it when I see it. I live off Purnell, and a few years ago they came along and patched it up in what I thought was preparation for the addition of a new layer of asphalt. Nope - just patches. It actually made the road much rougher to drive on. If they are indeed about to resurface the entire thing, I will sing the praises of the DOT from here to Bunn Level and consider the inconvenience worth it.

If not, not.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:34 PM

From driving down it today I learned they are still in the prep phase. They are still cutting/milling out the bad and replacing with new asphalt.

Quote:
I'll believe it when I see it. I live off Purnell, and a few years ago they came along and patched it up in what I thought was preparation for the addition of a new layer of asphalt. Nope - just patches. It actually made the road much rougher to drive on. If they are indeed about to resurface the entire thing, I will sing the praises of the DOT from here to Bunn Level and consider the inconvenience worth it.
Get out the throat spray. I assure you they wouldn't be milling the intersecting streets if they weren't planning on doing a full resurface.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
If they are indeed about to resurface the entire thing, I will sing the praises of the DOT from here to Bunn Level and consider the inconvenience worth it.
I haven't heard any singing yet.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:01 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,952,476 times
♪ The hilllllls are aliiiiive with the sound of paviiiinnngggg ♫

This concludes karaoke night at City Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary