Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:20 PM

30 posts, read 124,947 times

Advertisements

My wonderful cat of 11 years had to be put to sleep very unexpectedly the other day. Currently she on her way back home (well, her body is) because I couldn't do the cremation... Financially I spent all I had to take her to the vet and for their services. I wish I could say that I even had the $150 it would take to get her cremated but unfortunately I do not. That leaves me with outdoor burial, but I have searched high and low and cannot find out if they allow backyard burial in Cary. Does anyone have any information on this or do you know of a public area in which she can be buried? I do know in Raleigh they actually have a solid waste company who will pick her up curbside but the thought of that completely sickens me... so any information would be highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 06:29 PM

321 posts, read 880,387 times
First of all, I am so sorry for your loss. I lost one of my beloved cats last year (she was 13 yrs old). We struggled with how to proceed after her death. Cremation was very expensive and frankly, we didn't know what we would do with her ashes. We were told that Apex did not allow "pet burials" so I assume Cary does not either. Having said that, I have to wonder, how would anyone know unless you tell them? We decided to have our vet bury our cat in a "communal type" burial ground on the other side of Raleigh (I got the impression other vets used that location as well). (We were never told about the curbside pick-up - we would not have done that either!) In the end, the remains are not your beloved cat anymore. It was her spirit and personality that you loved and that has moved on from her physical body. Looking at it that way really helped me deal with the separation from her physical remains.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:41 PM

30 posts, read 124,947 times
Thank you for the information, and I'm sorry for your loss too It's so sad but you're right, it is her spirit that I will remember not her body. My husband decided to just go ahead and put her in the backyard - you're right, no one will know, and I did read the laws that they must be 3 feet down and not near any water and so forth so we're going to do that the best we can. I wish I had known about the communal burial but our vet didn't mention anything about that. Either way, she really disliked any other animals so I'm not sure I would have done that either, she sure would have been mad at me Thanks again for the info.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:13 PM

365 posts, read 1,208,547 times
Oh, I'm so sorry about your kitty.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:00 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,884 times
Sorry to hear about your kitty! That is so hard.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:03 PM

251 posts, read 515,230 times
I am so sorry about your kitty. Ours is almost 14 and when she goes to the giant catnip bowl in the sky, we're burying her in the back in a sunny space near the wooded area on our lot...probably plant a flowering tree above her.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:17 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
So sorry to hear of your loss (it made me sad even to read the thread topic!)

I personally have buried two cats in my year, but I'm in Raleigh (actually outside Raleigh limits). I would DARE someone to come tell me I had to dig them up, and I suspect that even if Cary has a rule about it, nobody would really be so heartless as to make you exhume them (if they do, call the TV stations--this would be a media blitz, and I'd be first in line to keep it in the headlines, LOL!).

Make a peaceful grave in your yard and just don't go around blabbing about it. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:17 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times
Sorry to hear about the loss.

In all honesty, I would just do it without making a fuss to anyone or asking questions. You have enough on your mind at the moment, and the Town of Cary has better things to worry about than what someone does on their own property.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:38 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
So sad. I'm so sorry to hear it. Truly. I miss our cat.

Have a nice burial in back, and don't worry about it.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:40 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times
I don't know the answer to your question, but wanted to offer condolences. It's so hard to lose a loved one, especially after illness. I'm sure you will carry the wonderful memories with you always. I wish you peace in the coming months.

Kind regards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary