Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:47 PM

14 posts, read 41,286 times

Advertisements

And why? Looking at Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Clayton areas - durham and chapel hill would be too far. I understand that there is a lot of uncertainty re districting/zoning/reassignment etc - this post is not meant to address this - just which school you would choose and why. Then we can narrow down the schools and start looking from there.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 07:29 PM

305 posts, read 768,108 times
The "Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Clayton area" is not "the Triangle". Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill are the 3 points in the Triangle. In my view Johnston County is not in the Triangle—certainly it's not part of the original Research Triangle.

If I could pick any school in "the Triangle" it would probably be one in Chapel Hill or Durham.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-08-2010 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: Sent you a DM

Old 06-09-2010, 09:04 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
When people say the Triangle, they mean Raleigh, Cary, Chapel Hill, Apex, and surrounding area, including Clayton, Wake Forest, Knightdale, Wendell, etcetera.

I would pick Broughton High School inside the beltline. I'd pick Durant Road elementary and middle schools, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchodog View Post
The "Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Clayton area" is not "the Triangle". Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill are the 3 points in the Triangle. In my view Johnston County is not in the Triangle—certainly it's not part of the original Research Triangle.

If I could pick any school in "the Triangle" it would probably be one in Chapel Hill or Durham.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:19 AM

People probably do, but I disagree, brentwood. At best I think those outlying areas are perhaps part of the greater triangle, but my main point is there is no triangle that doesn't include Durham and Chapel Hill. A triangle has three points. The three points are Durham, Chapel Hill, and Raleigh.

Chapel Hill has a reputation of having the best schools in the triangle. I'm sure there are pretty good schools in Wake and Johnston counties, too.

I hope some other folks will chime in and let the OP know what schools they recommend in the Raleigh/Wake/Johnston Co areas.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,219 times
In Raleigh, my preference for my kids would have been Wiley/Martin/Enloe.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-09-2010 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: Changed the title -- thanks for the suggestion!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:01 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
If I could pick, I'd pick Combs, Martin and Enloe, but we're really happy with what we have right now. I'm not even sure I'd change if given the chance.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:06 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Yes, I will agree, a triangle has 3 points.

And SAS once stood for Statistical Analysis Software. And BP once stood for British Petroleum. But meanigns of words change as the world changes. Here are 8 more words whose meaning has changed meaning over time: Eight Words Which Have Completely Changed Their Meaning Over Time | Writinghood

"The Triangle" means the Triangle area, and it certainly includes Cary, which does not have its own triangular point.

I do agree Durham and Chapel Hill also comprise the Triangle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchodog View Post
People probably do, but I disagree, brentwood. At best I think those outlying areas are perhaps part of the greater triangle, but my main point is there is no triangle that doesn't include Durham and Chapel Hill. A triangle has three points. The three points are Durham, Chapel Hill, and Raleigh.

Chapel Hill has a reputation of having the best schools in the triangle. I'm sure there are pretty good schools in Wake and Johnston counties, too.

I hope some other folks will chime in and let the OP know what schools they recommend in the Raleigh/Wake/Johnston Co areas.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:14 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,427 times
I'd pick private. Since I can't do that, I think it's too hard to say since I haven't lived here long enough. But I hear Chapel Hill schools are top and I sure wish I could afford to live there and send my kids there.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-10-2010 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic comments

Old 06-09-2010, 03:37 PM

I was going to let this go, but now I feel compelled to explain.

annesg, the moderator changed the subject line. It initially said "if you could choose any elementary/middle/high school in the Triangle which would it be", but then the question inside said, Durham and Chapel Hill are too far so not there—just around Raleigh and maybe Clayton instead.

I was feeling cranky so I wanted to point out to everyone who reads this thread that the Triangle region of NC cannot exclude Chapel Hill and Durham. It's just wrong. Many people include other outlying towns like Clayton and some go as far as to include Fayetteville (which is just crazy IMO) and that can all be debated, but there is NO version of the whole Triangle that does not include Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill, all three. Cary and Morrisville are included in the Triangle, brentwood, because they're actually somewhat in the interior of the triangle formed by Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill, if you look on a map.

It's kind of like when people say "I'm thinking of moving to Raleigh-Durham". We all know there is only a Raleigh-Durham airport, but otherwise the cities are distinct and separate.

Okay, back on topic...Best Raleigh area schools—I've always heard that Broughton, and Enloe are good public high schools. I don't know enough about the elementary schools to comment.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:44 PM

251 posts, read 515,184 times
Well, my son is going to start Kindergarten in August and he's going to Washington Elementary school. It's magnet and in Raleigh but we live in Apex. We are fortunate he got in. I went to the orientation last week and am VERY impressed. I hope his experience is a good one but we don't know enough about it yet to give it a fair assessment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary