Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:59 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times

Advertisements

My wife wants to move to America when we retire in a few years, so we're going to be looking in the BH area in early August. Now I realize we'll be there during the rally, which means the prices of hotels and other accomodations are going to be much higher. How far do we have to be out of Sturgis before we'll see normal summer rates? We'll be concentrating on the Hot Springs area, although we'll take a day trip up to Belle Fourche, Spearfish and other places up that way. Thanks for any info you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 01:51 AM

415 posts, read 972,612 times
Last year we made a trip back to omaha during the Rally and allllll the way back to omaha in South Dakota the Hotel/Motel Rates were just HIGHWAY ROBBERY without any Vaseline. And I'm talking all the way back to Sioux Falls which is sometimes where we'll take a break, either that or Mitchel Area. Totally Unaffordable PERIOD. They said it had nothing to do with sturgis and that it was just the "tourist" season. So either way ya look at it, expect to Get SCREWED just because we have a tourist season in this state. They don't give a damn whether you live in this state and aren't a tourist so don't look for any discounts. Another thing we've noticed since moving here in 06 is that if ANY kind of event is going on especially school related during the school year, they JACK THE HELL out of the hotel motel prices too. I don't know how many times, me the wife and kid have slept in the car somewhere instead of getting screwed big time for a lousy pillow to lay our head on. What the HELL happened to the 30 dollar motel room. Ohhh I know, We got hotel/motels now with Wifi, Swimming pools, Jaquuuuzi'ss, Gold Plated Pillows, Beds stuffed with Gold Coins, Gold Plated Toilets. BUTTTTTTTTTTT heaven forbid the continental breakfasts include more than an apple, a waffle of pittly ass little boxes of cereal for the 189 bucks a damn night. Sorry just sick and tired of the GREEEEEEEEED in this damn world anymore. Getting off my soap box now.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:28 AM

509 posts, read 1,349,664 times
Pretty much the whole black hills region will have elevated prices, sometimes you can find really cheap 'cheap' hotels but who knows...the closest you may find is murdo or even farther away than that, try the week after the rally or the week before if possible they drop almost 200 a night at some places the day before or after the rally.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:32 AM

955 posts, read 3,648,429 times
My guess is you will not even find a room at this point... If you don't have a room yet you may not have to worry about prices...

Old 07-02-2010, 11:20 AM

948 posts, read 2,791,858 times
As expensive as the rooms are you may want to find a vacation rental that is down a few miles of gravel rd. even their rates tend to be higher during the rally, but reality is if your going to be stuck paying premium rates you might as well consider getting a small cabin. Most likely from what I've seen you will be in the 1500 for a week as the starting point for a rustic cabin and the rates will go up from there - I noticed a few are still available on the rental sites.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:37 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadwoodJ View Post
Pretty much the whole black hills region will have elevated prices, sometimes you can find really cheap 'cheap' hotels but who knows...the closest you may find is murdo or even farther away than that, try the week after the rally or the week before if possible they drop almost 200 a night at some places the day before or after the rally.
Too late. Everything else is already in place. Looks like I'll have to cut it short and go elsewhere for the rest of the week. I have a few days beforehand, but I imagine prices will have already started their upward trend by then. Maybe I'll find some small town in NE that has a B&B.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:04 AM

A couple years ago my wife and I went on our honeymoon out there and the day before the rally started the prices were still normal ($100-150) so if you want to be out there do it the days you have before maybe.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:34 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Visiting the Black Hills during the rally is the absolute worst time possible. It will be a very poor representation of what the Black Hills and S. Dakota in general is usually like. It is important to understand that what you see, the atmosphere, traffic jams, crowds, prices, etc.... during the rally is in no way representative of S. Dakota at any other season EXCEPT during the rally. People book hotels as far away as Pierre and the prices will be elevated that far away if not all the way to Sioux City. The places you may wish to see "tourist attractions" will not only be crowded but difficult to get to because of the traffic.

Good luck!

Old 07-04-2010, 05:05 PM

I love rally week seeing all the different sites but i'm glad its only 1 week a year and I see it once every couple years.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:50 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,326,850 times
I am planning a trip to SD in August and I didn't know there was a special event... What is the rally and when does it start and when is it over. Please excuse my ignorance and thank you for the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City