Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 11:57 AM

380 posts, read 997,368 times

Advertisements

Here are some links to new stories that have happened here in Omaha in just this week alone! It is terribly sad.....

Woman Stabbed In Back 3 Times

Update: Three Shootings In Three Hours

Fight Escalates Into Shooting

Shooting Injures Three

Suspects Sought In Two Shootings

Police Seek Shooting Suspect, Vehicle

Woman Wounded In Shooting

Woman Dies After Beating

Woman Dies After Beating

Woman Dies After Beating

Woman Dies After Beating

Update: Stepmother Murder Suspect Arrested

It is out of control in this city!

I hope all you in SD know how lucky you are to live in such a wonderful state that doesn't have someone shot or stabbed daily in it. My family will be a member of it someday! We can't wait for our "mini" vacation coming up on the 14th of August to RC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 10:14 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,615,888 times
I am sure when Rapid or Sioux Falls grow to that size we would see more headlines like that. I love Rapid and am glad I am back. But I wouldn't knock Omaha. I like to visit I am sure I could live there if I had a reason to.

But I love Rapid and it is home to me. My drive home tonight had a sunset over the hills it was heavenly. Kinda help me unwind after the day I had at work.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:51 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,533,700 times
To be fair, most of the shootings are in one part of the city. Bellevue is pretty tame. I know, because I live there.

Good luck getting out though!

Old 07-31-2010, 01:24 PM

190 posts, read 431,558 times
Those type of headlines will be from Arizona if they don't corral those drug lords from coming across the border pretty soon. Sure glad Rapid City is small enough that we don't have to deal with headlines like that on a daily basis. We have our problems, every town does but not like that. Fifteen minutes driving and I can be deep into the hills where quiet and babbling brooks will caress your ears. Love it!

Old 08-02-2010, 10:53 AM

40 posts, read 119,315 times
I lived in Lincoln, NE for many years and even 15 years ago we started to see the problems of Omaha migrate into the capital city. The neighborhood I lived in was once very safe, and now reading the Journal Star there is story after story of prostitution and drug busts in the block I lived in. There are more shootings every month than there ever was when I lived there. If you read the stories, the shooter is almost always someone from Omaha "visiting dey cuzzin". It's sad.

Rapid City is not without it's own issues, but I would love to live out there.

I am a sucker for tourist traps and after almost 40 years, I am still in awe of Mt. Rushmore. Henry Doorley Zoo in Omaha can't be beat, but all in all..my vote would go to Rapid City.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:46 PM

369 posts, read 678,049 times
I feel the same as you. I live in the Indy metro area and crime is going crazy. Robberies, killings, car jackings, burglaries....almost all of it done by the welfare/poor population. The scary thing is, the ghetto is growing, and punks/thugs are moving farther away from "the inner city" areas. Now even the "nice part" of Indy (the far north side) is seeing tons of crime problems. We have had numerous self-defense shootings just within the last year, and that might be the only way to put and end to the crime problem. Our jail is over crowded and the state has prison space, just no money to hire jail guards and feed/care for additional prisoners.

I don't think cities like Rapid City, Billings, etc. will fall victim to the "big city crime." When I visited back in 2007, I knew that most of the folks out there are about self-reliance, etc. The folks who are repeat offenders in Indy side with the pro-welfare, big government types. The more you have to rely on yourself to provide food, heat, etc., the more these types of people have problems. If you look at Boise, it is at 585K for metro population. I doubt they have near as many problems as Omaha though.

The problem with most killings and attempted killings/shootings, are that it is a result of hip-hop/gangsta/urban culture. In other words, young black culture. Black rap artist praise such a lifestyle where you had best have a gun and the first one that pulls it and fires is the winner. Omaha has a much higher % of African-American and Hispanics than Rapid City. However, I did notice that Rapid City's robbery stats and burglary stats aren't that far off from Omaha. Again, it goes to culture. You have enough poor, addicted types in Rapid City, they are going to see need to steal and rob to feed their habit. The thing is, my guess is that most of the criminals in those areas don't follow the whole "Got my GAT!" lifestyle, where the answer to any and every disagrement is to pull your gun and shoot the person: Drug deal, ex-girlfriend/boyfriend, gambling, seating in the strip club, etc. etc..

If Rapid City grows, and a certain % of the population lives the lifestyle talked about by 50cent, Too Short, Dr. Dre, etc., Rapid City will become the same cesspool that most other major cities are turning into.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:02 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,839,636 times
To compare the two cities, it comes down to which way would you like to take your chances getting killed. In Omaha, you've got a much better chance of being shot. In Rapid City, you're less apt to be shot, but you have a better chance of being attacked by a mountain lion. BIG decisions.

I'd pick RC.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:28 AM

380 posts, read 997,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
To compare the two cities, it comes down to which way would you like to take your chances getting killed. In Omaha, you've got a much better chance of being shot. In Rapid City, you're less apt to be shot, but you have a better chance of being attacked by a mountain lion. BIG decisions.

I'd pick RC.

ROFL!! Yeah, I pick RC too!

Old 08-03-2010, 10:26 AM

40 posts, read 119,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post

I'd pick RC.

You are also more apt to reason with a Mountain Lion than you are a "gangsta".

Old 08-03-2010, 06:26 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,839,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdyankton View Post
You are also more apt to reason with a Mountain Lion than you are a "gangsta".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City