Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 07:17 AM

380 posts, read 998,124 times

Advertisements

This may sound like a dumb question. I don't know if you can even grow pumpkins in SD. With fall right around the corner, my wife and I were talking last night about trying a different pumpkin patch this year instead of the normal one because it is getting so big that people from out of state are coming to it and making it ungodly crowded. It brought up the question of, "I wonder if there is pumpkin patches in Rapid or in the neighboring towns we could go to next fall when we are living there?"

I know it may sound dumb to ask! Is there a pumpkin patch were a family could get some apple cider, carmal apples, hay rack ride, find a pumpkin and maybe even a delicious over priced meal before you leave up there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 08:36 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,538,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGuy1979 View Post
This may sound like a dumb question. I don't know if you can even grow pumpkins in SD. With fall right around the corner, my wife and I were talking last night about trying a different pumpkin patch this year instead of the normal one because it is getting so big that people from out of state are coming to it and making it ungodly crowded. It brought up the question of, "I wonder if there is pumpkin patches in Rapid or in the neighboring towns we could go to next fall when we are living there?"

I know it may sound dumb to ask! Is there a pumpkin patch were a family could get some apple cider, carmal apples, hay rack ride, find a pumpkin and maybe even a delicious over priced meal before you leave up there?
I assume you're talking about Vala's? The last time I tried to go was a few years ago. The line to get in was so long we turned around and left. I live close to the Bellevue Berry Farm so I might try to go there this year.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:13 AM

955 posts, read 3,641,818 times
YES!!! They don't do the extras like the hay rides / apples etc, but we do have a nice pumpkin patch out by Black Hawk that we go to each year... you wander the fields and pick your pumpkins ... lots of fun for the kids!!! I don't think it is open quite yet but soon!!!

Side note - I have no idea what Vala's is....

Old 09-17-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I assume you're talking about Vala's? The last time I tried to go was a few years ago. The line to get in was so long we turned around and left. I live close to the Bellevue Berry Farm so I might try to go there this year.

Yep, Vala's. It has become so big and such a huge hit that you have to park a mile away and sit in line for an hour just to get in the door, then when you want the hay rack ride you have to wait another hour! And then comes the expense....last year it was $13 a person, this year it says $15 just to get in the door. Takes the fun out of it when I have to spend $100 to eat, get a pumpkin and get my family in the door. That was one thing we loved about Rapid. They had "StoryBook Island" I think it was called. You could take your kids there for FREE and they have a blast!

Old 09-17-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusySocialWorker View Post

Side note - I have no idea what Vala's is....

Out by Black Hawk huh? We'll have to check that out when the time comes! As for Vala's, it is a HUGE farm here in Omaha that has TONS of attractions. If you by chance watch the show "Big World Little People" on TLC they own a farm and have a huge pumpkin patch each year. Very similar. Very expensive and very populated! Vala's Pumpkin Patch - Fun For The Whole Family

Old 09-17-2010, 01:10 PM

955 posts, read 3,641,818 times
Yep the pumpkin patch here is free (no big side attractions like I said, just pick your pumpkins) and get this (you'll get a kick out of this) it is all on the honor system - just pick the pumpkins you want and pay by the size by dropping your money (along with a donation if you choose) into a drop box

It is a great place!!

Old 09-17-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Yep the pumpkin patch here is free (no big side attractions like I said, just pick your pumpkins) and get this (you'll get a kick out of this) it is all on the honor system - just pick the pumpkins you want and pay by the size by dropping your money (along with a donation if you choose) into a drop box

It is a great place!!
Wow! Sounds nice.

I remember going to the one here years ago when it was free. Now it's almost $13 just for the honor of getting in and spending more money. LOL I still love it, though, and will try to go this year. They have pig races which are really cute.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:40 PM

697 posts, read 1,278,859 times
some of the ladies from scarletts are racing? or from lesterville?

Old 09-17-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the old man View Post
some of the ladies from scarletts are racing? or from lesterville?
Are those SD towns? LOL

These are Cornhusker pigs, through and through.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:

It is a great place!!
WHAT?!?!? FREE?? Wow! I can't wait to move there!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City