U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-13-2010, 04:52 PM

370 posts, read 526,774 times

Advertisements

Check this out people!! This is just a couple things that happened last weekend in Omaha. Man oh man my wife and I can't wait to get our family moved to a safer place. It just keeps getting worse. I pray that with winter around the corner the murders and violent crime will decrease because the whack jobs won't want to be in the cold!

#1 Update: Teens Charged In Deliveryman's Murder

#2 Wounded Man Left At Hospital Emergency Entrance

#3 Standoff Ends With Officer Killing Man

#4 Update: Break-In Suspect Remains In Critical Condition

And this was last week....so so sad...
UPDATE: Police Name Victim In Homicide Investigation

People in this town are out of control. It blows me away that the violence has escalated to this point. It has never been this bad here till spring of 2010! After that it has been downhill ever since.

Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 06:17 PM

5,174 posts, read 3,154,029 times
It's sickening.

They're always good kids who just made a bad decision, though. I wish we could just lock them in a room and let them all kill each other.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:42 PM

369 posts, read 247,118 times
Those headlines are similar to what we are seeing in the Indy metro area. It is mostly young black males killing other young black males. It is almost always inner city poor people being the perpetrators. We get it daily here: Home invasion robberies, where it is usually the elderly that are targeted for non-affiliated robberies (ie: The perps don't know the victim or have any idea what they are going to get, just figure they will get something.). If it isn't home invasions, it is brutal armed robberies. We have a nice, yuppie village area just north of downtown Indy called Broad Ripple. Filled with boutiques, shops, restaurants, and clubs/bars. It is a place where you will mostly find upper middle class and upper class kids partying at night. This summer, every other week seemed like a group of kids (likely drunk to some extent) were victims of armed robberies. It is always the same suspects: Black males, thugs from the inner city. In rare cases, it will be white thugs doing the robbing.

Our larger metro areas have always had problems in the poor areas of the city. We basically have had third world cities contained within the boarders of larger cities. The only problem now is this thug, gangsta, hip-hop, dope, crack, and meth culture is turning a lot more of our youth into animals. Downtown Indy has to put 20-25 additional cops on-duty downtown just because of all the punk kids that come from the city and cause trouble. They then end their shift dealing with all the idiot drunks, and 21+ year old thugs/drug dealers causing trouble at the downtown club/bar district.

Like you, I long to move somewhere more rural. Rapid City is definitely on the list, along with Kalispell, MT, and Cheyenne, WY if we head out west. If we decide we still want to be close to Indiana, we may end up in eastern Tenn. It would be very hard for us to leave, as 95% of my entire extend family is from the Indy area. My wife's immediate family is here (two parents and a sibling) along with one set of grandparents who moved here a couple of years ago. Other than that, her family is strung out all over the place, but even she wants to stay close to family (I think all the family gatherings my family has really made an impact on her).

While is sounds depressing to talk about, eventually my 2.5 and almost 5 year old nieces will grow up and not want to be around us "old people!" My parents will pass away, and maybe then will be a good time to take the money we have saved and move. If large cities further deteriorate, I see nothing but chaos in the metro areas. My hope would be to provide a layover place for family as they likely will head to the similar areas to escape the welfare hordes!!

Old 09-15-2010, 09:42 AM

370 posts, read 526,774 times
[quote=Ravekid;15883837]
It would be very hard for us to leave, as 95% of my entire extend family is from the Indy area. and almost 5 year old nieces will grow up and not want to be around us "old people!"

I know what you mean. My wife would be leaving her divorced parents behind and an aunt and I'll be leaving my widowed father (60 VERY good health) and grandma of 76 behind. My dad encourages our desires to want to move to Rapid to a certain degree. He agrees that Omaha is becoming a terrible place to raise kids. Even in the not so bad areas we are dealing with teen sex, teen robberies, teen vandalism and rape. He thinks that we need a fresh start with no drama where we can plant new roots and make it a wonderful thing. He disagrees on it being Rapid simply because of the concept of moving north. He HATES snow and thinks that it will be worse there than here. He also hesitates on our move because of the economy. He fears that if we happen to land a job and get moved, that perhaps there will be layoffs and then we will be up a creek, in a new town jobless without many other opportunities to go after. I understand his fear, I really do. The problem is my wife and I are just SICK of where we are. We don't watch the evening news anymore because all it is EVERY SINGLE NIGHT is about some horrible shooting, or stabbing or brutal rape of a 13yr old. I get the news on my computer still because I sometimes wonder what horrible things are going on out there and how close to me is it.....

When the time comes when we can move, we feel confident that it will be for the best. My wife's father has even mentioned moving up there to since there isn't really anything for him here. So maybe when the time comes we'll have family up there too! Heck, maybe even a couple friends from this site that live in Omaha too for that matter!!

Old 09-15-2010, 11:14 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,733,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
Those headlines are similar to what we are seeing in the Indy metro area.

This is the reason I, too, moved out of Indiana last year! While we lived in Lafayette, and not Indy, the crime level in our area was escalating. Gang activity was increasing exponentially, thanks to an influx from Chicago and Indy, not to mention the tensions between the Hispanics and blacks/whites. When I moved there 15 years ago, you didn't have shootings, drivebys, carjackings, gang wars, drug labs...now it's pretty constant. It's in the news at least weekly, if not daily. I could no longer go to the store alone after dark, and now, it's apparently not safe during the day, either - a woman was pulled from her car and robbed in broad daylight in the parking lot in the area where we used to live this past Sunday.

The schools, even at elementary level, have uniformed police officers in the parking lots - not rent-a-cops, either. Several apartment complexes now have satellite police stations in them, because the police chief got tired of dispatching officers to those areas mulitple times a day.

I am very happy in my little one-horse town in the northern Black Hills. I wouldn't move back for any amount of money!

Old 09-15-2010, 04:49 PM

369 posts, read 247,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGuy1979 View Post
He also hesitates on our move because of the economy. He fears that if we happen to land a job and get moved, that perhaps there will be layoffs and then we will be up a creek, in a new town jobless without many other opportunities to go after.
I understand where he is coming from, but there are a few positives with Rapid City:

#1: It is a tourist destination and no matter how bad the economy gets, tourist will still got to that area because of the geology and Mt. Rushmore/Devil's Tower/Wall Drug are big draws. To me, you could always find a job in one of the many hotels that will still be standing. While folks will say "but in a down economy, travel/vacation will get cut." I agree, but I think places like Rapid City won't get hurt too much. For starters, the larger, costly vacations are what will be cut: $1,000 to $2,000 per person cruises, international travel, upscale vacationing, RVing (RVs will simply be too costly, and gas may be too expensive), etc.. So I predict a move back into vehicles. You could also see people cut back on smaller, local trips in favor for longer trips, at least every other year, or every two years. Rapid City and the area in general will still be a draw. So I believe the industries that cater to tourist will still be somewhere to get a job..worst case scenario.

#2: If this country continues to keep the present size and scope of government, or moves even further towards more government, Rapid City has lots of government ran entities in the area: National memorials, national forest, national parks, military bases, etc.. So maybe a government job would be easy to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
This is the reason I, too, moved out of Indiana last year! While we lived in Lafayette, and not Indy, the crime level in our area was escalating.

I am very happy in my little one-horse town in the northern Black Hills. I wouldn't move back for any amount of money!
That sucks about Lafayette. I haven't heard of that bad of crime up there, so maybe it doesn't make Indy media. Glad you were able to escape though...good luck out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City