U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-29-2010, 07:47 AM

370 posts, read 503,006 times
Question Is There A Need For At Home Child Care In Rapid City?

Okay everyone....some of you know me by now....other are wondering, "Who the heck is this guy?!?!" Well, I had a post not to long ago explaining how my wife lost her opportunity to become a police officer. Well, as you may recall we are planning on moving to Rapid July 2nd if all goes well. We want to have jobs lined up obviously. I am quite sure I will be fine finding employment. However, my wife's idea of becoming a police officer is declining. It may change, but we recently had a heart to heart talk about it and I think that for now, she is letting the idea go. What she has been doing to make us side money is watching some kids from our home. She has one kids that is 9 and comes at 7 and she takes him to school and picks him up at 3:15 and the mom shows up at 4:30 to retrieve him. That is Mon-Fri. Then she has two small kids (1 and 4) that she watches all day Thursday and Friday. This helps us greatly with our bills! The more she does it, the more she enjoys it. We were thinking maybe she could continue this trend when we get moved until she can figure out what she wants to do from there. SO....the question is, "Is there a need for a SMALL at home day care up there?" You know, not a fancy set up with all the bells and whistles with 15 kids running around....just a married mommy watching a couple kids. Maybe before school and after school or maybe during the day....anything like that. She posted an ad in Omaha Craigslist months ago for this and got a huge response. Perhaps she was too cheap...I don't know! I would like to think that the same would happen up there. Thanks!!

Here she is with our son.... she loves to play with kids!

Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 04:58 PM

72 posts, read 111,013 times
Actually it depends on the area of town. Most want home daycare on their way to work. I actually know someone who was a police officer and quit to stay home with her kids and does daycare. I know that the military families would really benefit from a 24 hour daycare if you were willing to be closer to the base. It is highly needed and very much desired. Another idea is being a nanny if she wants to watch kids and doesn't mind getting out of the house to do so. I know there is a bit of a demand for a nanny. If she is willing to do some basic housework, as in pick up after the kids, do cooking, keep things orderly and maybe do laundry, she would be very much desired.
I know some people prefer the big daycare settings because their kids get more interaction with more kids but I know that there is also some that would prefer a small in home daycare. Depending on the area of town will make a huge difference.
I had used a couple home daycares closer to the hospital and I know they were always getting calls and turning people away. It is very populated over there with more homes then business so the need is (in my opinion) higher!

Old 10-06-2010, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 790 times
Interesting! We may be moving to Rapid City, with Hubby working on the C12 contact at the Base. May be a good area to offer home day care, huh? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City