Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 05:58 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times

Advertisements

As mentioned, there should be chains on the trailer.

When you connect the chains to the truck, they should be long enough so that you can turn completely. Have somebody guide you back so that you jackknife the trailer to it's maximum angle. Then connect the outside chain so that it is close to being tight. Attach the second chain in the same manner. That way your safety chains will allow a maximum angle turn.

Another way is to back straight to the trailer and attach the chains so that they droop down to about 4 inches from the ground.

The chains on a trailer are a safety feature. Should your ball fail, or the hitch come loose, the chains will keep the trailer attached to the truck. The idea of locks are for when you hit a bump, you don't want the chain to jump out and detach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 07:56 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
If your car is on a dolly, front wheels on trailer and back of car on the road... Don't get in a position where you need to back up. It doesn't work to back up. Backing with a real trailer grip the steering wheel at the bottom and use small inputs and turn the bottom of the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go.

Use a spotter. Also with back towards the drivers side so you can keep an eye on the trailer and not lose it in the blind spot.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:18 AM

19 posts, read 32,493 times
We moved to Spearfish in August & yep, got a nice lock with a key for the U-Haul, we slept better! And the car dolly came with everything needed, although the straps that cinched the car to the dolly were a little short & we nearly lost our rig! Just check things out after an hour or so that first day, for sure to assure that all is secure. And yes, backing up that dolly was not much of an option, it has something to do with the way they are wired to the braking system, it can be done, but was simpler to try to park where we could pull straight out.
I purged so much stuff moving here, we went from larger home to a MUCH smaller place, but purging & giving things away was very freeing & cleansing for us. It was fun going through all our stuff & deciding what was truly important, too. Very healing for my soul!
We have been here since Sept. the 1st & NO REGRETS! I would also stay with Midco for my cable & other than that our utilities are included in our rent, so no help from us there! WELCOME & drive safe - Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-25-2010, 10:52 AM

451 posts, read 976,864 times
Wow, thank you all...excellent advice as always!! I think we'll just make sure to double-check things as we make stops and really double-check before we pull away from the house. I am hoping staying with the hotel chain we have chosen for our stops that we will be okay. If we can jack-knife it in we will. I was really wondering about backing up....could not envision it...so I am so glad for that answer as well.

I am also planning to head out this weekend for "gear". I want to be sure we have enough stuff just in case there are any issues. I know we need to get a shovel (doubt that will be here in Tucson), but I want to add those hand/foot warmer packs...just whatever crosses our minds as a good idea. We're packing snacks..will stop only for me to run in for something and eat it on the road...we have little water bottles along...a ton of blankets...just "just in case" we get stuck stuff.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the posts...great ideas!! Thank you.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:56 AM

451 posts, read 976,864 times
Default Finally!!!

Well...minus a few minor glitches ... we're on the way (or almost). The truck is huge...we have a ton and a half of boxes....the furniture is shrink-wrapped within an inch of its life and we are prepared for the journey. The guy at Budget said that they only had AM/FM radio to offer...no CDs. I said, "no problem, my hubby can listen to me scream all the way up for entertainment". (Kidding...sort of....once again...this truck is huge, and I just found out from one of our neighbors that we only have "one dicey area to go through as we enter CO....not helping, not helping one bit). So, we'll see y'all soon!! Thanks for all the great info and help. Now...where are my gloves...hat....scarves....!!!

Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 AM

697 posts, read 1,280,969 times
drive careful-- you will be fine

Old 12-02-2010, 12:13 PM

You will be fine. Take it easy and careful and you will be just fine.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:00 PM

72 posts, read 142,198 times
Have a safe trip

Old 12-02-2010, 09:22 PM

68 posts, read 135,311 times
I am right behind you in just 28 days....8 hours......and 45 minutes!

Old 12-02-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammiller03 View Post
I am right behind you in just 28 days....8 hours......and 45 minutes!
Not that anyone is counting down or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City