Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 09:13 PM

69 posts, read 228,524 times

Advertisements

I will be spending 3 weeks in Rapid City in October. What is the weather like then. Will I need Arctic clothing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 09:52 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,909,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maliretriever View Post
I will be spending 3 weeks in Rapid City in October. What is the weather like then. Will I need Arctic clothing?
It won't be bad. Moderate temps during the day, 50+ but cool nights. Although I've seen snow in October, I haven't seen it in several years. Very isolated. Frost in the mornings but warming up to a respectible temp by mid morning.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:41 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,674,037 times
Depends on what part of October you come... beginning has average highs in the upper 50s to lower 60s, while late October can be the same but is often very cold... like 30s!

Old 07-23-2007, 06:47 AM

157 posts, read 714,293 times
Rapid City is in the path of the warm trade winds. Hence it's beastly hot there in the summer and gratifyinly warm in the dead of winter. Quite often Rapid City will report 70 degree flukeish "chinooks" or hot blasts of air via Canada and courtesy of the trade winds.

This is NOT a sign of so-called "global warming," of which there is not such thing, by the way. The chinooks have been going on for centuries. Sometimes the warmish blasts will stray and hit northeastern South Dakota.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:20 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,343,984 times
Average Weather for Rapid City, SD - Temperature and Precipitation

This chart should give you an idea of the Oct. temps in the Rapid. Everyone was quite accurate according to this site.

Keep in mind that there is very little humidity (semi-arid climate) so if you come from an area that has humidity, you'll probably feel pretty chilly in the morning. I'd skip bringing along the long johns and coveralls for Oct., but you'll definitely want jeans and a jacket.

Jim, I couldn't agree with you more on your comment about global warming.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:11 PM

157 posts, read 714,293 times
Jammie, the chinooks have been going on for probably eons. However "Global Warmists" are "schnooks."

Old 07-24-2007, 08:59 PM

Jammie and Jim-

I may have to disagree with you on the Global Warming topic... there has been sufficient evidence supporting this theory and I believe that we have to pay attention to it whether we believe it is real or not...

Around South Dakota there is evidence of it... brutally hot summers, mild snowless winters, record low lake levels. In fact, the past ELEVEN DAYS it has been over 100 degrees in Rapid City... this has never happened for this long EVER before!

Look at all of the heat-related deaths in Europe... EUROPE!!!

There are less snow-capped mountains... people now hike to the top of mountains which were once COVERED with inpassable snow and ice.

Glaciers are disappearing
More insects are appearing
Plants grow in Greenland
Polar Bears are drowning due to lack of ice
Buildings in Alaska are crumbling due to melted permafrost

THE LIST GOES ON!!!

Old 07-24-2007, 10:13 PM

458 posts, read 774,301 times
"Glaciers are disappearing
More insects are appearing
Plants grow in Greenland"

Same thing happened during the Medieval Warming Period, perhaps this is part of a cycle?

"Polar Bears are drowning due to lack of ice"

This has already been proven to be totally untrue, why quote something like that?

Old 07-25-2007, 10:56 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,343,984 times
Danny, I understand what you're saying. But my opinion is totally different and I won't go into it on our state board, but feel free to check out my post on the "Weather" board. If you have trouble finding it, let me know and I'll provide the link to the page my post is on. I'm not saying I'm right, but I've gathered some very valid points to consider. One of the top things that concerns So. Dak. is the fact that they've found tropical plants and fossils from animals that could only survive in a tropical setting in So. Dak. which proves that at one time we were a tropical area.

BUT let me add that it's kind of nice that people are concerned about the earth. Maybe all this waste will stop if they have something that will scare them.

It'd be nice to have some people from our state who would be interested in participating on the new "Weather" topic on this forum.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:08 PM

I couldn't agree with you more Jammie!

This topic may be a blessing in disguise to make people more aware and less dependant on the almighty automobile!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City