Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:00 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times

Advertisements

The property taxes are expensive out here.

I travel through rapid valley on a daily basis, years ago I didn't care much for it, however as time goes on it does grow on me.

I have a strong preference for west Rapid and south Rapid. That is contigent on me living in town. I live outside of Rapid City limits. And where I am at, I really like. The location is perfect. I am in a canyon and well sheltered.

I grew up in the area, moved away for 11 years and returned a year ago.

When looking at property, Look more at what you want more than a specific location or area. If you are looking at house with fair amount of land or in a planned subdivison, a real estate agent can set you up far better than I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 08:08 PM

20 posts, read 48,554 times
I'm dialed in with the realtor scene out there...Which has made the search much easier. Sounds like being in a canyon can shelter you from the winds a little bit...I assume that is what your referring too. We currently reside in Wisconsin and the property taxes are top 5 in the country...So I'd be very surprised if it's worse in South Dakota.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradams View Post
I'm dialed in with the realtor scene out there...Which has made the search much easier. Sounds like being in a canyon can shelter you from the winds a little bit...I assume that is what your referring too. We currently reside in Wisconsin and the property taxes are top 5 in the country...So I'd be very surprised if it's worse in South Dakota.
Yes, protection from the wind.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:15 PM

Is the RRM area close enough to the hills for some protection? I know a family that just moved here from Rapid and they mentioned the wind is tough to deal with at certain times of the year. Also do you know if the Walmart Development on the south side will create traffic issues for commuters getting into town on Sheridan Lake Road. Not sure where the super center is going to be built...Just wondering if there will be an impact on commuter traffic to and from RRM...

Old 06-02-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradams View Post
Is the RRM area close enough to the hills for some protection? I know a family that just moved here from Rapid and they mentioned the wind is tough to deal with at certain times of the year. Also do you know if the Walmart Development on the south side will create traffic issues for commuters getting into town on Sheridan Lake Road. Not sure where the super center is going to be built...Just wondering if there will be an impact on commuter traffic to and from RRM...
Where the new Walmart is going is just west of Highway 79 and east of highway 16. 5th and Catron. Catron runs from Sheridan Lake road to 79 where is changes into Elk Vale Road which if you stay on it long enough will eventually take you into Sturgis. It changes to gravel north of I-90.

They are working on Catron between 16 and 79 now, 5 lanes 4 and a turn I think.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:26 PM

Thanks for all the good info this evening...Need to bail out now...

Old 06-09-2011, 11:51 AM

948 posts, read 2,791,858 times
Sorry been busy so I hadn't seen your additional q's on HOA's- Some HOA's simply exist for members to meet and discuss covenant violation issues, and in that case the fees tend to be little to none. Some maintain the parks and others go beyond that to yards, snow etc. which can be a significant cost. The $ involved varies greatly depending on the subdivision and what the services are and what they are maintaining. If the roads are private (generally they aren't within city limits) then those maintenance fees come in as well - same with the water and sewer in city limits they usually are part of the local tax - but not always. The variables are huge so when inquiring on properties (especially on the outer edges of town) that will all be stuff for you and/or your agent to look in to, to calculate your "end of the day" costs.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:22 AM

16 posts, read 52,390 times
I have to laugh at some of the responses here. You know it all depends on what you are used to. I've been in Rapid for 5 years now. Before that, we lived in a much bigger city.

As for traffic, there is basically NO traffic here. Seriously. I wouldn't worry about it AT ALL!

Property taxes are not bad here either....probably on the average side for the country.

Having no state income tax is awesome!!!!

As for RRM, I live very near there. In RRM, the houses are very close together, there are lots of kids outdoors, and people seem very friendly. They do have their own little park that we go to, even though we don't live in the neighborhood. I'm not sure about their HOA fees, but ours are $180/yr I believe.

What are you looking for in a house? Ours is for sale:-)

Old 06-11-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
Some maintain the parks and others go beyond that to yards, snow etc. which can be a significant cost. The $ involved varies greatly depending on the subdivision and what the services are and what they are maintaining. If the roads are private (generally they aren't within city limits) then those maintenance fees come in as well - same with the water and sewer in city limits they usually are part of the local tax - but not always.
Thanks for the info on HOA's around the area Eric...We do not have that here but the villages/towns do hammer us on quarterly costs for utilities. I will not live on a private road since I'm considered middle class...It'll be a stretch if we can afford a home in the RRM area. So let me ask you...If you were going to purchase a home in town, knowing what you know about the area now...As opposed to someone new to Rapid, where would you want to settle down with a young family?

Old 06-11-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2princesses View Post
I have to laugh at some of the responses here. You know it all depends on what you are used to. I've been in Rapid for 5 years now. Before that, we lived in a much bigger city.

As for traffic, there is basically NO traffic here. Seriously. I wouldn't worry about it AT ALL!

Property taxes are not bad here either....probably on the average side for the country.

Having no state income tax is awesome!!!!

As for RRM, I live very near there. In RRM, the houses are very close together, there are lots of kids outdoors, and people seem very friendly. They do have their own little park that we go to, even though we don't live in the neighborhood. I'm not sure about their HOA fees, but ours are $180/yr I believe.

What are you looking for in a house? Ours is for sale:-)
Thanks for the comments about the RRM area and the HOA fees. I wasn't sure if that was a monthly or annual cost so good to hear it's yearly. I would agree with you having lived in the San Fran bay area back in the middle 90's...Traffic is a town the size of Rapid is really not traffic. The only problems arise when infrastructure doesn't keep pace with the growth that is experienced in developing cities...Which can happen at times. As for what were looking for in a home...Well something less that 5 years old and we tend to gravitate to ranch style homes with open floor plans, 3 bedrooms up and 1 down with a completely finished basement. Also would be nice to see some upgrades such as Maple or Cherry kitchen cabinets, granite countertops as well as 9 foot ceiling and some earth tone paint splashed on the walls...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City