Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 05:43 PM

20 posts, read 48,559 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Were getting a little closer with our move to Rapid and I wanted to see if anyone could shed a little light on the Red Rock Meadows Subdivision. What I'm curious about is traffic to and from the center of town during the morning/evening commutes...As well as the housing in the area. My impression is that it's a ritzy area but from the looks of things, you can find affordable housing below 300K. So feel free to chime in with other thoughts as well including if you feel it's a family friendly area or whether there's snooty people that live in that part of Rapid. I'm looking for the good, bad, and ugly...

Thanks in advance...Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 10:03 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Red Rocks is right off of Sheridan Lake road which feeds into west rapid. Good road, lots of traffic. It also intersects with Catron Boulevard and that will take you into east rapid, down town and eventually the interstate.

As far the houses, they are upper end of the price range. And looking at foreclosures that was the hot spot in Rapid.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:46 PM

948 posts, read 2,792,123 times
I would call it more mid-high end - so, a few snoots but excessive IMO - I prefer the option for a little more privacy in at least part of my yard - and the covenants in that area usually restrict screening, but to each there own - most of the back decks/patios are open to each other which IMO negates the slightly larger lots. Some of them back open space/common grounds increasing privacy though.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the info Eric and others...Sounds like there are some issues in the Red Rock Meadows area. Are there any HOA's or anything like that? Also you made mention to lot sizes...Can you find a 1/3 to 1/2 acre lot with new construction going up in RRM or along Sheridan Lake Road back northeastward toward town??? Would you or anyone recommend any other area west of HWY 79 for newer construction built say after 2006?

Old 06-02-2011, 12:24 PM

948 posts, read 2,792,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradams View Post
Thanks for the info Eric and others...Sounds like there are some issues in the Red Rock Meadows area. Are there any HOA's or anything like that? Also you made mention to lot sizes...Can you find a 1/3 to 1/2 acre lot with new construction going up in RRM or along Sheridan Lake Road back northeastward toward town??? Would you or anyone recommend any other area west of HWY 79 for newer construction built say after 2006?
Newer subdivision without an HOA is kind of an oxymoron anymore, but yes you can find newer homes in RRM, on the size of lot you are talking. And I meant to say Not very snooty IMO in my last post - oops. I prefer the more established areas though, more trees, better landscaped, any subdivision looks a bit less cookie cutter as the years go on they look a bit more customized. There are lots of areas west of 79 that are nice. Some areas can take as much as 20 yrs. to get fully built out, so even in somewhat older subdivisions a newer home can pop up here and there.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:06 PM

So Eric what your saying is that I should be prepared to deal with an HOA fee regardless of where I live around Rapid? Is the HOA what the city charges for garbage, water and sewer? I know where I currently live we do not call that HOA for those services but it may be different in South Dakota.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradams View Post
So Eric what your saying is that I should be prepared to deal with an HOA fee regardless of where I live around Rapid? Is the HOA what the city charges for garbage, water and sewer? I know where I currently live we do not call that HOA for those services but it may be different in South Dakota.
What he is trying to get get at is most newer developments like what you are shopping around for have HOA's of various shapes and sizes.

Depending on the HOA, what the restrictions are, what fees are charged, what services are included.

Individual results may vary.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:36 PM

Thanks for chiming in...So what typically would a community charge an HOA for? Are we talking about snow removal on streets in the winter or what...I'm confused why there are HOA fees...Or at least drawing a blank on what service they could charge a home owner.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:46 PM

The town houses I worked on 15 years ago, fees included trash, lawn mowing, snow removal and perhaps some some. Those are the ones that stick out in my mind.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:52 PM

I guess since there's no state income tax out there...They've got to get you somewhere else. It sounds like you've been in the area for quite some time...So can you tell me what the downside is to living out in the RRM area. I'm planning on coming out to Rapid in a couple weeks to look at a few homes and get a feel for the area. We don't want to focus on that one section of town...But I do want to stay away from rapid valley. I live in an area like that now and would prefer to put a little more space between myself and my neighbors...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City