Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 09:12 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times

Advertisements

So I drive by the new mall site today... the sign says we're getting a Dillards, Linens 'n Things, Barnes and Noble, Gordmans, and a SUPER TARGET!!!
(and those are just the drawing cards!)

Bring on the Super Target!!!!
I love Rushmore Crossing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 09:20 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
So I drive by the new mall site today... the sign says we're getting a Dillards, Linens 'n Things, Barnes and Noble, Gordmans, and a SUPER TARGET!!!
(and those are just the drawing cards!)

Bring on the Super Target!!!!
I love Rushmore Crossing
Wow, Rapid is going to beat out Sx. Falls for shopping yet. You know, you're going to need a lot more stores there especially with all the newcomers that will move in because of Homestake.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:16 AM

56 posts, read 267,814 times
Default Disciplined?

Shopping center developer digs in
By Dan Daly, Journal staff

RAPID CITY – After what seemed like a lull in construction, work has resumed in earnest on the Rushmore Crossing shopping center project south of Interstate 90.

And although Midland Atlantic Properties, the developer of the project, has steadfastly refused to publicly name any tenants, the company’s leasing agent posted a sign on the property that names four major tenants: Dillard’s department store, Barnes & Noble books, Target and Linens-N-Things.

“Our leasing agent who put that sign up was getting a little ahead of himself,” said John Silverman of Midland Atlantic. “He’s been disciplined.” However, the sign was still up Saturday.

So far, only Scheels has publicly announced its plans. The sporting goods chain will build a 100,000-square-foot retail store in Rushmore Crossing.

In addition to Rushmore Crossing, a Cabela’s-anchored retail project is in the planning stages to the east between Exits 60 and 61 on Interstate 90.

Rushmore Crossing was the only one of the big three projects to start moving dirt. Early this summer, the area was abuzz as dozens of pieces of heavy equipment moved about 1.4 million cubic yards of dirt.

Although the bulldozers had been parked at the Rushmore Crossing site for weeks, work was still going on, Silverman said. Crews last week were putting in underground utilities and building roads for the project. Next will come parking lots and other site work.

“Sometimes, it looks like there are ants crawling all over the property. That’s what people were seeing. When you put in utilities and roads, it goes very slowly,” Silverman said. “It takes a lot of time to go vertical with buildings.”

Construction of the retail stores won’t likely start until November or December, he said. The first phase of the project is scheduled to open in October 2008. The second portion of the center will open in spring 2009, Silverman said.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:05 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Where's it at? The only description says South of I-90. That leaves a lot of territory. haha

Old 08-21-2007, 01:22 AM

Rushmore Crossing will be in between the North Street Exit and the LaCrosse Street Exit, on the south rim of I-90.

If you drive by, look for the IMMENSE mountain of dirt!

Old 08-21-2007, 06:06 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,509 times
That is just west of highway 16 & 79 exit isn't it? That is where I turn off to go to Hot Springs.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:29 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Crap, when I lived there we had 8th st. We called it Rushmore road cause that's where it went. Go South out of town and wind up the old highway and the Reptile Gardens was at the top of the hill. haha Am I dating myself again?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:54 AM

955 posts, read 3,648,429 times
8th is still called rushmore road

Old 08-21-2007, 10:01 AM

No, uncleharley-

The new mall site is actually relatively close to the old Rushmore Mall. When you first drive into Rapid City from Sioux Falls, there is Menards, Outback Steakhouse, and the new LaQuinta and Marriott... Rushmore Crossing is gonna be in that relative area along I-90.

When you exit off I-90 to get to Hot Springs that is the Elk Vale Exit... keep going west on I-90 and the next exit (North Street) is where the new mall will be.

8th Street is synonymous with Mount Rushmore Road still... in fact everybody calls it "Rushmore Road", even though it is less used now since they built the city-bypass Expressway at the southeast edge of Rapid City....

Even though "Rushmore Road" is used less, it is still the rout people take if they want to actually go through Rapid City.... if you take the Expressway, there are few gas stations and hotels because it is so new.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:37 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,072 times
Is it an outdoor mall or a conventional indoor mall? What else is going up at Rushmore Crossings? I am glad that Rapid is getting an exciting development and additional options. Sioux Falls has a Gordman's and has is like a TJ Maxx and has some good deals there. Sioux Falls is supposed to have two decent-sized shopping centers, both of them outdoor with a main street feel and within close proximity to each other on the eastern end of the city. It will be nice for additional shopping options and to take some pressure off of the Empire Mall area. Once the roads get widened in the area, there will be stuff coming up. I have heard about another Target and Best Buy coming up in that area along with a suite of other retailers, some upscale. When the Marion Rd. exit opens on I-90 within the next couple of years, a retail center will be in the general vicinity and serve that area along with the tourists heading out to the Black Hills.

With Rapid being many miles away from other bigger towns, the additional shopping options will be nice for those who frequent Rapid for shopping. Rapid City is a neat area that has a lot of untapped potential in my opinion.

Last edited by Chris19; 08-29-2007 at 08:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City