Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 09:41 AM

5 posts, read 6,618 times

Advertisements

I lived in Rapid City for a year and I am returning there to live with my mom and be with family. I live in the Hampton Roads area of VA and I have had difficulty connecting with people. Rapid City is nice and the people seem friendly. Any suggestions for volunteer work. I like helping people in a medical setting. I already joined a meetup group and I hope that helps. I enjoy being outdoors also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 12:24 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
What about VA don't you like? I've thought about giving the east coast a try, or eastern TN. That or Oregon. But with the economy and all, I don't want to take a 35% pay cut to move anywhere, so I'm stuck here for now... probably for a long time... since I'm far enough up the ladder at my job to where I'll never get laid off, even in the worst economic times, due to the nature of the products made... so no impromptu drive around the country for me unless I take up trucking, which I don't want to do because I like a traditional 40-50 hour work week, I don't want 70-80 hours week after week.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:22 AM

5 posts, read 6,618 times
I think part of the social problem is everywhere today, although I have been told by several people that they have had difficulty making friends in hampton roads. The weather is mild and I love the ocean and I work from home and I know that does not help. I,ve tried introducing myself to neighbors with a cold response, but that could happen anywhere. Church involvement and volunteer projects have not helped me to make connections. Good luck if you make a change.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:18 PM

412 posts, read 958,296 times
If you want to volunteer you can try the South Dakota 211 Helpline. They'll connect you with places that are currently looking for volunteers.

Usually the Humane Society of the Black Hills needs people to help care for the animals, take dogs for walks and socialize the cats. There's also a riding program for disabled people called the Suncatcher Academy if you have horse experience. They could probably use people to groom the horses and to lead them for riders who can't steer on their own. You could contact local hospitals and nursing homes to see if they need you, too. There are probably some lonely people in those places who could use someone to talk to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City