Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 10:26 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,103,615 times

Advertisements

We live in Custer, and I don't really count it as commutable in the winter - at least not to Rapid. It may only be 40 miles to town, but those are mountain roads. While we may not get snow the way the northern hills do, I cringe getting out on those curves in the early morning (6:30 AM) to drive my daughter to the bus stop. The roads are usually icy, and they will occasionally treat with ice melt, but not daily. I only drive her 4.5 miles to the bus stop, but it's enough to curl your hair some mornings! And yeah, the deer...there is definitely a reason for the cow catchers! This area and Hill City are especially thick with all kinds of critters that can damage your vehicle! My husband has actually come close a time or two to hitting elk and buffalo on his way through Wind Cave coming home (he lives in Martin during the week to teach and comes home on the weekends - talk about a commute!). Night before Thanksgiving, he actually tagged a mountain lion and did $2300 worth of damage to his vehicle. My advice is if you want to work in Rapid, get a job closer to town. If you want to live in the hills, find a job within 20 minutes driving distance on a good, clear day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 07:57 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,093,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
We live in Custer, and I don't really count it as commutable in the winter - at least not to Rapid. It may only be 40 miles to town, but those are mountain roads. While we may not get snow the way the northern hills do, I cringe getting out on those curves in the early morning (6:30 AM) to drive my daughter to the bus stop. The roads are usually icy, and they will occasionally treat with ice melt, but not daily. I only drive her 4.5 miles to the bus stop, but it's enough to curl your hair some mornings! And yeah, the deer...there is definitely a reason for the cow catchers! This area and Hill City are especially thick with all kinds of critters that can damage your vehicle! My husband has actually come close a time or two to hitting elk and buffalo on his way through Wind Cave coming home (he lives in Martin during the week to teach and comes home on the weekends - talk about a commute!). Night before Thanksgiving, he actually tagged a mountain lion and did $2300 worth of damage to his vehicle. My advice is if you want to work in Rapid, get a job closer to town. If you want to live in the hills, find a job within 20 minutes driving distance on a good, clear day.
After going back through there again Id say this about sums it up, still like the area but Id have to rule out working in Rapid city and living up in the Hills... Thanks

Old 01-04-2012, 12:12 AM

265 posts, read 685,364 times
Earlyretired, I would assume that you will someday share your pics of SD and WY if you like. I would appreciate if your squeamish to send the pics of WY via DM as opposed to this SD site.Peace and nice travel info and home info since I am interested in Rapid areas.jim. peace. PS I am originally from that god forsaken state and in another god forsaken state.(when will it end..oh the agony of it all!!!)

Old 01-04-2012, 12:15 AM

265 posts, read 685,364 times
PS Common sense dictates the identification of the god forsaken states that I speak of!! Sure and hell not talking about South Dakota!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-05-2012, 05:43 PM

579 posts, read 995,312 times
Check out the Johnson Siding area. It is about 10 miles west of the RC city limits. SD 44 is well maintained. You can get the mountain living without the long winter commute. The Nemo area also another idea, although it is a bit further out and a county road.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatehumidity View Post
Earlyretired, I would assume that you will someday share your pics of SD and WY if you like. I would appreciate if your squeamish to send the pics of WY via DM as opposed to this SD site.Peace and nice travel info and home info since I am interested in Rapid areas.jim. peace. PS I am originally from that god forsaken state and in another god forsaken state.(when will it end..oh the agony of it all!!!)
Their all just a little too big to post here, Id have to re-size about 90 pictures

Old 01-06-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVPoker1 View Post
Check out the Johnson Siding area. It is about 10 miles west of the RC city limits. SD 44 is well maintained. You can get the mountain living without the long winter commute. The Nemo area also another idea, although it is a bit further out and a county road.
Yea I remember seeing a dirt road and a sign that said Nemo> that seemed to go straight into the woods to nowhere

Im leaning towards flatter land

Old 01-06-2012, 01:16 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,968,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
Yea I remember seeing a dirt road and a sign that said Nemo> that seemed to go straight into the woods to nowhere

Im leaning towards flatter land
Last time I looked, Nemo Road was a nice 2 lane paved road. It is designated as a county road but is more highway in structure.

The Nemo area itself is nice meadows with streams. There are rough "HILLS" around Nemo, but for the most part the road itself is a very good road.

I went to High School with a guy that lived out Nemo Road. Their ranch bordered Lawrence County line, on the Penn side. He came into Rapid City High and never missed a day that I didn't miss.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:23 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,686,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Last time I looked, Nemo Road was a nice 2 lane paved road. It is designated as a county road but is more highway in structure.

The Nemo area itself is nice meadows with streams. There are rough "HILLS" around Nemo, but for the most part the road itself is a very good road.

I went to High School with a guy that lived out Nemo Road. Their ranch bordered Lawrence County line, on the Penn side. He came into Rapid City High and never missed a day that I didn't miss.
44 and Nemo are both paved roads. I wonder if the gravel was Norris Peak road. A good 4 wheeled drive vehicle with good tires will do wonders in getting around.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:06 PM

579 posts, read 995,312 times
I bet he is thinking about the "---> Nemo" sign in front of Sugar Shack at Merritt Estes Rd/385. That is a very long, but well maintained gravel road. I cannot think of any other gravel roads that connect major roads to Nemo.

Norris Peak Rd is now a paved road and AFAIK it has been paved for at least 5 years, probably much longer. You also do not have to live all the way out in Nemo or Johnson Siding. There are plenty of neighborhoods and scattered homes on Nemo Rd and 44 west of Rapid City before you ever get to those areas. Norris Peak Rd has a lot of homes too although the hills on that road can become impassible in bad conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City