U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-28-2012, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,259 times
Default Why or Why not move to RC

My husband and I are looking into moving to Rapid City. Neither of us have spent much time there. I am a nurse, and would be looking into getting a job at the Rapid City Indian Health Facility. My husband loves the outdoors, fishing, hiking, etc. We have one dog and no kids. We are in our late 20s.

Please help us out... why should we move to Rapid City? Why should we not move to Rapid City.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 08:43 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,134,320 times
The climate would be one reason why you may or may not want to move to Rapid. It is a lot drier than many places in the U S. This means more sunshine, fewer clouds, warmer temperatures, etc. It also means some unrelenting sun in the summer time, it is a little dustier than many places, forest and grass fires can be a threat, etc. Some people like it, some people don't.

uh

Old 02-29-2012, 02:08 PM

412 posts, read 479,174 times
It depends on what you're looking for, and also where you're coming from. What do you like and dislike about the place you're currently in?

Old 02-29-2012, 02:58 PM

18,632 posts, read 14,231,351 times
Why should you move to Rapid? That is a question you need to ask yourself. We are not going to try to sell you on something. What do you like? What are you looking for?

Old 02-29-2012, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,259 times
I grew in in Iowa, I lived in the White Mountains of Arizona for three years and now live in Juneau, AK. We like the city, but nothing too big. We love the mountains. We are looking for a good place to raise a family, good schools, job opportunities (especially for my husband who doesn't specialize in anything in particular, but has worked in sales almost his whole adult life). Strong sense of community with events and activities throughout the week. My husband would be looking for good fishing and hunting nearby.
Thanks.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:46 PM

412 posts, read 479,174 times
Then you will probably like Rapid City. It's got everything on your list. And winters will seem mild compared to Juneau. :lol

BTW, I lived in Lakeside-Pinetop for a while. Small world!

Old 03-01-2012, 08:53 AM

18,632 posts, read 14,231,351 times
If you want mountains and good schools look at Sheridan Wyoming or Bozeman Montana.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:50 AM

4 posts, read 3,625 times
Well from personal experience the choice was easy! Much safer then other cities, air force base keeps the economy up, Stores and restaurants of plenty and pretty good school systems. Only speaking of douglas school from experience

Old 04-12-2012, 08:51 AM

4 posts, read 3,625 times
If the winter we had this year was every year then that is just a no brainer!

Old 04-12-2012, 12:35 PM

5,140 posts, read 3,050,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidCityX View Post
If the winter we had this year was every year then that is just a no brainer!
I'd agree, except for the ticks making an earlier appearance. Stupid, nasty little bloodsuckers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City