Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 6,794 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Rapid and we are wondering where the best neighborhoods are located. We are looking for safety and an area where the homes tend to have good resale value. Thank you for any input.

Sky from Orygun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 11:40 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,855,065 times
You do not seem to be getting a lot of responsesw so I thought I would suggest you scroll down 11 or 12 threads to the Red Rock Meadows thread. It has a lot of the info you are looking for. It also has links to a number of other threads which are similar.

uh

Old 06-17-2012, 12:56 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,038,378 times
You asked the questions on a weekend and I suspect folks are out enjoying the hills and not even thinking about their puters.

I no longer live in Rapid City but was there as recently as 3 weeks ago.

St Patrick street South is the newer area of town so a lot of housing has been built in the last 20 years. The closer you get to St Patrick street the older the houses, i.e. Robinsdale area was all built in the 50's.

From Baken Park West and South West is nice also. It's an older section of town so mature trees with a lot of shade, Canyon Lake Park, the Golf Course, Story Brook Island etc... Well established area of town that has great resale.

I want to say that there is really no BAD area of town as far as being dangerous. Having said that, North Rapid is an older section of town that for years was not kept up and attracted an element that wasn't stellar. However, Rapid City has done a terrific job of cleaning up that area and the people have started showing a little pride in their area and they have done a lot to clean it up. But resale in that area is probably the lowest in all of Rapid City.

If you want more rural or country type of living, I'd look at Black Hawk, Piedmont, Rapid Valley, or the new subdivisions that are South of Rapid City on 79.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:33 PM

412 posts, read 957,901 times
West Rapid is considered the more upscale side of town. The terrain is more hilly, there are more trees and a nicer view, and some of the houses are newer and more high end. I lived in a subdivision called Autumn Hills off Sheridan Lake Road for a few years. It was a nice, clean, quiet and safe neighborhood. South side is also quite nice, and though the houses are older they're generally well kept.

There's nothing wrong with east Rapid, it's just flat and a little more rural with less there. North Rapid is a bit shabby and run down in places, but I wouldn't call it bad. I've lived in truly bad neighborhoods and RC doesn't have one. It's just that's the lower income end of town, so the houses tend to be more modest and not everyone is able or willing to keep them up. I've noticed an improvement there lately, though.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,754,982 times
There are very few areas that are bad. Even north rapid has made major improvements. Several houses in the area were receiving improvments like new windows and siding.

I am not a fan of north rapid, but it isn't totally offensive. I guess budget more than any other factor would play into where in Rapid I'd live.

If I had the money, I would be on west bvld hear Wilson School or west Rapid.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:15 PM

4 posts, read 11,351 times
I was wondering about RC since I may be moving to the area soon....relocating from Fort worth, TX. Saw some good info on the areas to live....looking for rual area...out in the "boonies", quiet!! We are also preppers and would love to meet fellow RC/ area preppers!
How are the area schools....will have a child starting high school this coming year and has never attended stateside schools (we are prior military...hubby just retired this year and we have spent our entire time in Europe).
ANY info on cost of living, crime, homes, schools anything would be greatly appreciated [Mod cut]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 06-22-2012 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: Removed email address. Put it in your profile and then people can select it. DM me if you have questions.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,152 times
One great thing about living in the "boonies" near Rapid City, is that you get to choose between ranch-style prairie living or being up in the hills secluded in the forests. Many people live out of town and commute in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City