Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 04:39 PM

20 posts, read 63,132 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live in west rapid. Hall st.
I'm a metal detector hobbyist, treasure hunter, and hack archeologist.
I like to take the metal detector out to old mining sites, homesteads, camps, and ghost towns.

I'm an especially good stash cache finder. I usually find a stream and walk up and down stream looking for likely camping spots or flat spots where groups would stop and rest. Once I find a nice spot to camp, I look around and think "now, where can i hide my stash", then I go snoop around until I find something.

I'm considering forming a metal detector club or treasure hunting club in rapid. I want to look for buried hold-up money, stash, and other valuables that everybody buried to keep from being robbed.

Me and a few friends like to hang out early evening in the Family Thrift supermarket in Bakken Park. We have coffee and meet up at the end of every workday around 5 or 6.

If you live in rapid or the black hills, and you'd like to do a hunt, let me know. The more hands looking, the more finds you get.

I'm going to hunt from Mystic to Silver City, to Pactola lake next weekend. Along Castle and Rapid Creeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 08:18 PM

11 posts, read 23,537 times
Do you still do this? I have been interested in doing this around the area.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:18 AM

14 posts, read 21,426 times
I was actually looking for the same thing butch.But unfortunately i live in eastern sd.Do u get out this way at all.I would def be willing to get out that way.I moved here from new york state and have all of my gear and def can not wait to get out.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:54 PM

836 posts, read 1,654,248 times
Try posting in Metal Detecting and Make A friends section on Gold Prospectors' forum Gold Prospectors Association of America Forum
Treasure Net TreasureNet and other forums like those.

Being in the Dakotas you'll have to work a little harder to find folks.

Good to see y'all getting out!

Old 04-18-2014, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 4,403 times
Looking for fellow enthusias around rc also

Old 08-13-2015, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,574 times
is there anyone here in the black hills area that has a waterproof/ underwater metal detector that would be willing to help me ? I was at Sheridan lake up at dakota point a friend went in the water she panicked I went in after her when she began to spash her arms and hands frantically when she did this she hit my hand knocking my wedding ring off in about chest deep water , please help!! my Grandfater helped me get the ring and he just passed away this last week i really need to get that ring back it means the world to me

Old 08-13-2015, 04:17 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,843,421 times
I believe Sheridan Lake is in Custer State Park. If it is, the Park Rangers might be able to help you.

uh

Old 08-13-2015, 04:32 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,589,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post
I believe Sheridan Lake is in Custer State Park. If it is, the Park Rangers might be able to help you.

uh
No. Sheridan Lake is right outside of Hill City. Nowhere near Custer State Park. I doubt Game Fish and Parks will be any help. U.S. forest service will give you the same story.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:53 AM

2 posts, read 3,475 times
I'm also looking for company and for an advice of more experienced person) Cause i'm just choosing my first metal detector, read a lot of information on http://tenrows.com/metal-detectors/ and need to make final choice.
Anyone?

Old 12-06-2017, 11:51 AM

60 posts, read 113,975 times
Sounds like a lot of fun; combing the wilds for treasures.

Might be awful cold this time of year, I suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City