U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-11-2008, 01:31 PM

1,506 posts, read 1,675,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetZ7 View Post
Does anyone remember the old clock tower that used to be out in front of Scheels? Lewis Drug and Casual Corner were there when the clock tower was. I remember coming to the mall as a teenager with my family and we would always say to meet back at the clock tower at such and such a time. It was the best reference point in the whole mall. It was a shame when they took that away as well.

I remember a lot of the things you mentioned, but specifically the clock! My mom worked in the JCPenney salon in the late 70's-early 80's, and I was a mall rat during the summers!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 05:21 PM

3,940 posts, read 9,450,624 times
Planet, I wasn't saying that the Rushmore Mall is headed to a destination of demolition, I'm just saying that the Rusmore Mall will need some major improvements in order to compete with the brand new Rushmore Crossings. You have to admit, Rushmore Mall has no theme, no atmosphere, it's ugly, it has numerable stores that never work out, lots of vacancies, and I personally think that weekdays at Rushmore Mall are deserted. Hardly anyone is ever there, especially in the Herberger's and Penney's wing.

Plus stores seem to be strewn about randomly throughout the mall. If you go to a larger city, malls have wings that cater to one specific type of store. IE: Ann Taylor, Liz Claiborne, Christopher & Banks in one wing. American Eagle, PacSun, Rue 21 in another wing. Rushmore Mall's floor has huge cracks, the ceiling leaks during rain, fluorescent lighting is annoying, the list goes on...

I just think it will need some vast improvements to keep up with other malls. The one perk to Rushmore Mall is that it is completely inside.

Here is my favorite mall. Rushmore Mall doesn't even compare!
FlatIron Crossing | Home

Old 07-13-2008, 01:29 PM

955 posts, read 2,358,940 times
Danny - that is my favorite mall too... I really miss it!!!

Old 07-13-2008, 10:13 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,326,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Planet, I wasn't saying that the Rushmore Mall is headed to a destination of demolition, I'm just saying that the Rusmore Mall will need some major improvements in order to compete with the brand new Rushmore Crossings. You have to admit, Rushmore Mall has no theme, no atmosphere, it's ugly, it has numerable stores that never work out, lots of vacancies, and I personally think that weekdays at Rushmore Mall are deserted. Hardly anyone is ever there, especially in the Herberger's and Penney's wing.

Plus stores seem to be strewn about randomly throughout the mall. If you go to a larger city, malls have wings that cater to one specific type of store. IE: Ann Taylor, Liz Claiborne, Christopher & Banks in one wing. American Eagle, PacSun, Rue 21 in another wing. Rushmore Mall's floor has huge cracks, the ceiling leaks during rain, fluorescent lighting is annoying, the list goes on...

I just think it will need some vast improvements to keep up with other malls. The one perk to Rushmore Mall is that it is completely inside.

Here is my favorite mall. Rushmore Mall doesn't even compare!
FlatIron Crossing | Home
I remember going into the Rushmore Mall and it just looks goofy to me. Thinking about it make me chuckle and laugh.

From how you describe the Rushmore Mall, it seems like the Empire Mall is better and there are a couple of youth apparal stores clustered, such as Aberbercomie & Fitch, American Eagle, Old Navy, Limited Too, PacSun, and Gap in the JC Penney's area. Hollister & Co. is in another area. The Banana Repulic is in the area and Coach House? will come in. The Foot Locker, Finish Line, and Champs are sprinkled and the fancy women's stores. The mall has one or two areas that need improvement. One is the south entrance between Penney's and Macy's and the other one is the Sears wing, which Sears has been declining in prominence in the past 15 years (in Sioux Falls and nationwide). I have heard from a person that the Empire could have been a two-story mall, which would make it look different.

The Empire could use some updating and may need to do so when Galleria at Rivers Bend and Dawley Farm Village get going, which the latter one breaking ground later this year and hopefully opening in late 2009. I agree that there should be clusters or a theme.

DannyBanany, this may be a silly question. Does the Rushmore Mall have a Holister & Company? I doubt that it would have Abercromibe & Fitch and a Banana Republic. Will Steve and Barry's and Dick's Sporting Goods come to Rapid?

Speaking of malls, there are a couple worth mentioning. The Westroads Mall in Omaha is probably as old as the Empire (2-story) is getting updated in the back and is a decent mall. Was there this weekend breifly. Valley West in Des Moines, also a two story, is about the same age and is vibrant and has been spruced up. Same goes for Chapel Hills Mall in Colorado Springs. Ones in MPLS, such as one in Roseville and Edina have been updated. Danny, the Rushmore Mall may get updated and get a new lease on life. It will need entertainment options and a few sit down restaurants in the mix to liven it up along with a reformatting of the mall or major improvements.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:53 AM

Chris, we don't have a Hollister, Abercrombie, nor a Banana Republic. I don't really shop at either of those stores anyway but many people do and they can't get over us not having one yet. Whenever I go to Denver or Boulder I shop at American Apparel, Urban Outfitters, J. Crew, H&M, or United Colors. I really like H&M because the clothes are so cheap yet it's still a very nice store. I wouldn't mind a Dillard's or a Macy's too but it looks like I'll just have to settle for Herberger's which is still not that bad.

I think I heard that Sioux Falls is getting a Coach, not a Coach House. Coach sells women's accessories and it's quite pricey. I saved up for my mom this last Christmas and bought her a Coach purse. It was over $150 and I bought it at an outlet store in Castle Rock, CO. I doubt anyone in Sioux Falls can afford chic couture like Coach.

I have also been to Westroads. My aunt worked at Von Maur for 5 years and left in 2006. I still shudder when I think of the shootings.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:57 PM

I like the Scheels in Omaha and Sioux Falls, but the one in Omaha is bigger. When I go into both with the intention of window shopping, I end up finding a couple of items easily. Same is with Champs, Foot Locker, Old Navy, and sometimes American Eagle. I have gotten to the point where I know of some easy routes to Mall of America when I am up in the Twin Cities for other reasons. I-494 is a pain in the rear to drive on at times and 35W, so I take the side roads once I get into the suburbs.

The Rushmore Mall can take a page from some malls up in the Twin Cities that offer additional entertainment options and are given facelifts.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:23 PM

Chris, do you ever go to Southdale in Edina? It's probably my next favorite mall after Flatiron Crossings in Colorado. I also like the nearby Galleria, but I can only window shop there. I went into Williams Sonoma and I saw a pan for $150. I could have bought it but then I couldn't afford to put anything in it!!!

Old 07-14-2008, 09:30 PM

I have been to Southdale in Edina several times and enjoyed shopping there. This mall was an example of one that has been updated. I would not mind stopping by if I head up there later this year.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:31 PM

464 posts, read 856,002 times
Target employee here. Quiet opening is October 8th and Grand Opening is Oct 12th. Quiet opening means no advertising for it and no special deals or entertainment.
The old store closes the night before the new store opens. For 6 weeks we'll be staffing both stores, we are looking to hire around 50 people. It's going to be tough.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,238 times
Just wanted to share a little piece of information about Soo Foo. We do not currently have a SuperTarget. Only one of the largest normal Targets...and we will be getting Coach in the spot occupied currently by BabyGap. And I do believe that people in Sioux Falls will be able to afford the couture from Coach.

Still hope everything goes well for Rapid and their new mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City