Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 08:31 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,845,206 times

Advertisements

Why do you want to take care of 2 acres or more of land in retirement?

uh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 09:22 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,615,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post
Why do you want to take care of 2 acres or more of land in retirement?

uh
Good question. I'd rather have 30 or 40... You should have something to do once you retire. When I retire and become half the paycheck and twice the husband my wife will be wanting that to get me out of her hair.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:00 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,168,073 times
Because I want a buffering between me and neighbors, plus I am a young retired person, in my late 40's..I want privacy mainly, and don't want to hear neighbors kids playing, or thieir dogs barking and all that stuff......I want to feel like I am living in a park like setting for once in my life, and to me, that is magical , mainly looking for a few acres where they are partially wooded....best place to get this sort of set up is in Indiana, Missouri, Arkansas, and few other southern states mainly.....due to my price range, but that puts me dead center in tornado alley also in those states where all the cheap homes with acreage for sale, are...If I were to buy a home right next door to another home, wouldnt that be the same thing as apartment living? no space, no privacy?

Old 05-23-2014, 05:04 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,845,206 times
My thought is that in order for you to get what you want at the price that you want, you will have to buy in an area that is not very desirable to most people.

uh

Old 05-23-2014, 06:23 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,168,073 times
A place like Rapid City home prices should match the wages there a little better, as the hardworking locals cant afford a decent home in a decent area, but a transplanted Californian can. Also western SD is home to the top 3 poorest counties in the USA, in the northwestern corner. Don't seem right that homes are priced so high there imo. Also, they don't seem to give up much land their to homeowners anywhere in the state of SD, as most it seems to be big govt deeming it all agricultural land, which is the case over in Sioux Falls, you'd be hard pressed to find many homes with acreage their, despite all the wide open spaces. Even the tiny amount of homes in western SD with a tiny bit of acreage, are sort of run down looking, in my price range. I don't know there are a few are in Box Elder on the prairie, treeless, and flat. The few in Hill City, are run down. A frustrating state when it comes to looking for a decent home with some land for sure. 200k can get one a gorgeous home move in ready with up to 2 to 20 acres in Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, Arkansas, seems like the only area with this possibility out west is Idaho Falls and Pocatello, with mostly 1 acre parcels, but large sized homes, especially in Idaho Falls.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 05-23-2014 at 06:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City