Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 12:03 PM

3 posts, read 4,317 times

Advertisements

Hi all I am a 35 disabled fem with infant child looking to move back up north having grown up in wy and wv and billings I feel the area would feel very homey and the lower col is a major thing as I live on a very.fixed income . Ive done research on rapid city and sioux falls I am more interested in rapid city b. I would like local opions on living in that area, is it possible to get around with out a car, is it a good place to raise a child, us there decent sec 8 housing available eithin the city, anything at all you could tell me would be helpful , ty. Sorry about the typos my so called smart phone is.having trouble eith this program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 11:32 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,903,999 times
Hi, welcome to the South Dakota Forum.

I grew up in Rapid City and the Black Hills, and currently live in Wyoming. I think you would get along quite well in Rapid City. Sorry, it's been years since I have lived there, so I am not up to speed on Public Transportation.

As far as Sec8 housing, here is a link that shows all Sec8 housing, along with descriptions, phone numbers, address's, etc... However, due to the Gov shutdown, the site is closed. But book mark it anyhow and when the Government get's their head out of their...... Well, when the Gov starts doing what they are paid to do, again, the site will be back online.

United States Department of Agriculture - Home

Old 10-10-2013, 11:09 AM

17 posts, read 42,575 times
To be honest, I feel like the housing costs are somewhat high here, so if you are on a limited income you may have a hard time finding something decent in a good area of town. I know people who are on section 8, but were on a waiting list for well over a year before they were able to get it. I have lived in several different states, and pay more for the house I'm in now than I ever have. If you just have one child, you may be able to find a reasonable 2 bdr apartment, but the cost of living here really isn't low in my opinion. I haven't used public transportation here, so I can't really say how that is...there is not a regular bus line or subway or anything, but we do have Rapid Ride, I think they have a website you could go to for more information. As far as raising a child here, it is a pretty safe area, decent schools, lots of parks, etc.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:10 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,672,382 times
Honestly, Rapid City has terrible public transportation - it's just not big enough and no one really uses it. The major downfall of Rpaid City is that it is very spread out, the roads don't make sense, and unless you live downtown or on West Boulevard you HAVE to have a car to get around. There is plenty of Section 8 housing in and around the city but it always tends to be on the outskirts of town or on the Northside. Rapid City is a very good place to raise a child and the Black Hills provide a huge playground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City