Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 06:23 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,650,738 times

Advertisements

Rapid is a trade center for a wider area. It has a major hospital and system of clinics. The hospital is not without its problems. I would consider going to Denver or the Mayo Clinic for adequate healthcare.

As far as air quality, it is all well and good until a temperature inversion sets in and those burning wood and dust from the quarries and cement plants. Granted steps have been taken to mitigate the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 02:44 PM

27 posts, read 51,874 times
I'm probably a bit jaded as I worked for the sheriffs office for a year, but I have not been impressed with the education here. If you enjoy outdoor activity and active people, I would not suggest RC. I have heard better reviews about the CO towns, much more active and health conscious. The Black Hills are gorgeous, but the town of RC is not filled with nature lovers, or overly active people. There are some that are VERY active... but overall it is not a feeling here.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:53 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,538,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachia View Post
I'm probably a bit jaded as I worked for the sheriffs office for a year, but I have not been impressed with the education here. If you enjoy outdoor activity and active people, I would not suggest RC. I have heard better reviews about the CO towns, much more active and health conscious. The Black Hills are gorgeous, but the town of RC is not filled with nature lovers, or overly active people. There are some that are VERY active... but overall it is not a feeling here.
You can't speak for all 70K plus people. Besides, it doesn't matter if other people are active and into the outdoors and nature. The opportunities are here, both in town and throughout the hills. It's up to each individual to take advantage of them.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:32 PM

265 posts, read 684,852 times
I cannot update any further on what your read here but, I liked Loveland,CO better than FC due to traffic issues and not to mention too many people in FC for my liking. But again if you have family in FC your not too far away.Rapid City, I like as I do Sioux Falls. One is flat and expansive,more jobs,people than Rapid. However,Rapid is near the hills and not very far away from visiting Wyoming. Sioux Falls close to Iowa(better left unsaid). Just my opinions. Jim

Old 01-06-2014, 09:18 AM

993 posts, read 1,760,924 times
1. Rapid does a pretty good job with their snow removal. At the very least, they'll sand the hills so you can hopefully make it up them. The snow usually melts within a week anyways.

2. The schools here aren't great. For high schools, Central has the "ghetto" reputation and Stevens has the "rich & preppy" reputation. I'd say the attitude is pretty much that Central hates Stevens, and Stevens just thinks that Central is trash, and neither give a crap about STM. Really though, the educational opportunities here are not the best. I know they focus more on trying to bring up and save the lowest students rather than trying to help the higher achieving students succeed. I lost over 200 people between my freshman class (somewhere north of 600) and graduating class (right about 400) at Central. I just graduated two years ago and doubt it's changed much. Stevens didn't have the same large drop. If you do choose to live here, get your kids ahead early and push them to take advanced classes at the local colleges during high school. If you want your kid to have a more diverse experience, choose Central. If you want them to have a more sheltered experience with better sports teams, choose Stevens. The academics are actually pretty similar if you get them on the same path at either school

Old 01-06-2014, 02:05 PM

97 posts, read 193,064 times
Wow, I really appreciate all of the opinions and experiences that have been shared so far. Thank you!

Old 01-06-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Rapid is a trade center for a wider area. It has a major hospital and system of clinics. The hospital is not without its problems. I would consider going to Denver or the Mayo Clinic for adequate healthcare.
If you (and anyone else) wouldn't mind going into further detail about the topic of the Rapid City hospital and its issues, I'd be very interested to hear what you have to say.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:46 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,650,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcar12 View Post
If you (and anyone else) wouldn't mind going into further detail about the topic of the Rapid City hospital and its issues, I'd be very interested to hear what you have to say.
There have been several instances and a few lawsuits due to infections and other complications. When I was doctoring that was a serious consideration, this was back in 2005. The trend is continuing.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
There have been several instances and a few lawsuits due to infections and other complications. When I was doctoring that was a serious consideration, this was back in 2005. The trend is continuing.
This is troubling to me. I take it that you worked for the hospital? Would you not recommend it as a good place to work?

Old 01-06-2014, 09:26 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,169,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcar12 View Post
Rapid City medics can tell you when you need a heart transplant and can recommend the best places to have it done. The best places don't include Rapid City Regional.

Example: 20+ years ago my eye doc in Gillette said to me during a routine eye exam, "There's something back there behind your eye. I'm going to send you to R.C. for some tests."

They did the tests in R.C., and the neurosurgeon told me, "You have a big, bloody tumor, the biggest I've ever seen, certainly more than we can handle here." He suggested three doctors "who might be able to handle it." One was in Boston, another at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, the third in Denver. I chose Denver as it was the closest. It was also the biggest tumor of its kind they'd seen in Denver, but they carved on it a bit and I'm still kicking. I was told I made it into the movies -- training movies for MDs.

This Wednesday I'm going back to Rapid to the Black Hills Regional Eye Institute. I've been told for decades that it's as good as any in the country for all things related to the eye. I hope so. I'd like it if both my eyes looked in the same direction!

Rapid City is a regional center, be it for medical needs or shopping needs. I-90 from Gillette to Rapid City is packed with shoppers going to the mall. That money flows from Gillette like Kool-Aid from a pitcher. Because it's a regional center, it offers the locals more than most cities with similar populations. But there are limits. It's not going to have the shopping nor medical facilities of a city like Denver. Not even like Fort Collins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City