U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2014, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,988 times

Advertisements

I would like to know people's experience in Rapid City and surrounding areas who are interested in growing fruit trees and vegetable gardens.

I haven't been successful in getting advice from Rapid City nurseries and SDSU iGrow extension on how to protect fruit trees from diseases. Those places usually give out a general knowledge, but they aren't much help on the practical side. Personally, I think that the local nurseries in Rapid City only care about selling their plants and trees, but they don't care if they grow healthy or not. Also, I think that the nurseries and the SDSU extension should have a display orchard or garden in order to show their customers that what they are selling is able to grow in the area.

I am interested in hearing about how others have overcome the fruit tree diseases in their own gardens. However, I am also interested in what kind of gardens other people are growing as well as general tips people use to care for their gardens.

I have a few pear and cherry trees, and a couple apple and plum trees. Currently, I am having issues with my pear and apple trees being affected by fungal diseases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 06:11 PM

2,450 posts, read 3,112,463 times
"my pear and apple trees being affected by fungal diseases"...both can be susceptible to Fire Blight, pear more so.
A dormant oil spray will kill a lots of pests overwintering under the bark...no poison, just oil.

http://pubstorage.sdstate.edu/AgBio_...s/ExEx6035.pdf

There should be tons of info on the internet.

Good Luck
Gemstone1

Old 05-14-2014, 04:46 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,731,835 times
Have you checked with Plantsmyth in Rapid City? I always found them to be the most helpful. SDSU is on the eastern side of the state, and I have not had much luck with their high-altitude gardening resources.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:26 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,375,337 times
My greatest success in gardening in Hot Springs has been with plants that Native Americans grew for centuries. Squash such as Zucchini, Pumpkins, & others do well. Melons do well around here as well as beans & corn. While I do not have a lot of experiance with fruit trees, the biggest challenge in gardening in this area is keeping the garden watered properly.

uh

Old 05-14-2014, 06:11 PM

25,583 posts, read 31,915,031 times
I've never had good luck with fruits trees out west. My clients haven't had good luck with fruit trees. As a general rule I'd avoid them. Grapes, however, seem to do well. Plum and chokecherry do well. That goes back to what tends to grow in the wild.

I go to Plantsmyth on 44 on the east edge of town. Avoid Jolley Lane Greenhouse. The Pennington County gardening club has some decent write-ups in the Rapid City Journal. The cooperative extension service may have some tips as well.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,988 times
I have visited all nurseries in Rapid City including Plantsmyth. I actually spoke with the owner of Plantsmyth; however, he wasn't too enthusiastic to help me with as much detail as I needed.

What I wanted to point out about the nurseries, at least as far as the ones in Rapid City, is that they keep selling fruit trees and making a business of it, but they don't inform you that those fruit trees don't really survive well. Furthermore, people keep buying the fruit trees, but I don't see many that are actually producing fruit maybe some apples here and there, but very few.

Because the trees are mostly dying of diseases, I think we need a State program that would fight the problem, just like they have one battling the West Nile virus.

SD4020, the Pennington County gardening club is it just people submitting gardening tips to the newspaper or is it an actual organization?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City